Subject: what to do with the new tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i know they are the new starting tiles for the new civilizations but if you combine the expansion with the base game you won't be able to tell the difference because the new starting tiles are not double sided. In fact they look just like regular tiles.

Can you just combine them and use them as exploration tiles if not using the corresponding civilizations? Is there a balance issue with doing this? The rulebook doesn't mention the new tiles at all except to say there are new starting tiles for some civs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
So i know they are the new starting tiles for the new civilizations but if you combine the expansion with the base game you won't be able to tell the difference because the new starting tiles are not double sided. In fact they look just like regular tiles.

Can you just combine them and use them as exploration tiles if not using the corresponding civilizations? Is there a balance issue with doing this? The rulebook doesn't mention the new tiles at all except to say there are new starting tiles for some civs
The designer has already posted in another thread that it's OK to add the new tiles to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

The designer has already posted in another thread that it's OK to add the new tiles to the mix.

He sort-of said that.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17122327#17122327
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

What? He said exactly the opposite.
"No. They should not be shuffled into the deck"

Don't mix them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

What? He said exactly the opposite.
"No. They should not be shuffled into the deck"

Don't mix them!

Well, he kind of said both. Here is the exact quote:

marqzen wrote:
No. They should not be shuffled into the deck, but with the clouded back you could do it if you wanted, or use them for larger map setups etc.

But yes, when you use them the fertile space is inland, even if that places mountains and forests differently. You simply replace the starting tile with your new starting region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the same question when I got my copy and I saw the post from the designer.

Where he gave the go to use them... the other part of your question is the balance issue.

The only effect I found is the decreased chance of pirate and barbarian spawning due to discovery. 4 extra tiles of niether (if a civ didn't need any for their starting region.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17506939#17506939

Gentlefolk,

This seems to be the definitive answer from the designer (from another post).

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael mcguire
msg tools
I pick the civ and if they need a special starting tile, we use it, then shuffle all the rest to make the board. Adds a little variety. I would like to hear thoughts on how to make a larger map though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thewoozle wrote:
I pick the civ and if they need a special starting tile, we use it, then shuffle all the rest to make the board. Adds a little variety.

and weakens Carthage and Celts. Mixing these tiles unbalances the game. Do whatever you like, just be aware of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the sheet of 9 pirate stickers... you'll have 5 left over to mark the Fog Side of the starting tiles. Like marking them as expansion tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a sharpie and marked the two corners on the tiles where 3 hexes meet. That way I can shuffle them in if I want to, or separate them easily, without anything too distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.