1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Am I doing this right? Problem with a major BG store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Fraga
msg tools
Hi there!

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question so here it goes.

I will not disclose the store name because I don't want to hurt them in any way. Just want to hear your thoughts, that's all.

I've been buying games from overseas for a very long time and never had any problems (except with customs). In september I bought two games from this US based store and I've been having issues with the package delivery ever since. The problem is that somehow my package, which should've been sent to Brazil, was routed to Israel instead. I still don't know if it was USPS' fault or the store fault. I was only able to find out that my package was sent to Israel because I found an online tool called "Global Track Trace" which gives you a lot more information than what you can find in the USPS site.

After checking the status in this tool, I sent an email to the store telling them what was happening but they did not really care, all they told me was to wait because my package was being sent to Brazil. I didn't think this info was correct so I decided to call USPS and get the information directly from them. They confirmed to me the package was sent to Israel, so I contacted the store back. The store admitted the package was incorrectly shipped to Israel and asked me to wait until the package arrives, which should be soon (that's what they told me). This happened around Oct-20/21, so about 1 month ago.

Today I decided to call USPS again just to confirm if the re-routing was already in place but, surprisingly, they told me it'd take at least another 20 business days until they can give me a response back. I asked them if the sender (store) could request the package back and they told me it was possible.

Today I sent an email to the store requesting them to send me another order or reimburse the amount I paid back to my credit card. I told them I could not wait 1-2 more months. I also gave them the info about requesting back the package from USPS which was incorrectly sent.

What do you guys think I should do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not even give them the chance to send again given how they handled it. Demand a refund. If you paid with your credit card, you can probably go to them and have them hold the funds as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
I would not even give them the chance to send again given how they handled it. Demand a refund. If you paid with your credit card, you can probably go to them and have them hold the funds as well.

Exactly. And if you paid by paypal put a claim in immediately. Don't let them filibuster you until it's too late to claim.

You have a Brazilian compatriot (FlavioRJ?) who has similar issues from time-to-time. Maybe he can give you some advice.

Absolutely appalling service: I think you should say exactly who they are so that people can be aware how little they care about their customers.

They would probably treat Americans and everyone else as badly as they do you, and people need to know. I wouldn't worry about hurting them: they took your money and now don't care about 'hurting' you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:

Absolutely appalling service: I think you should say exactly who they are so that people can be aware how little they care about their customers.

They would probably treat Americans and everyone else as badly as they do you, and people need to know. I wouldn't worry about hurting them: they took your money and now don't care about 'hurting' you.

You're making some pretty bold proclamations based on very little information. We don't even know whose fault it was that the package was shipped incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fraga
msg tools
Thanks guys!

The reason I don't want to expose their name is because I still don't know if it was their fault or it was USPS who screwed it up. But I agree when you say they could've handled this better.

I'll wait for their answer and let you know of the outcome.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
enoon wrote:

You're making some pretty bold proclamations based on very little information. We don't even know whose fault it was that the package was shipped incorrectly.

We have all the information we need:

1) It wasn't the fault of the buyer.
2) Who is responsible for shipping? The seller - never mind if USPS made a mistake; the seller is still responsible.
3) Who hasn't done anything about the problem? The seller.

Nothing bold about that, except the brass neck of the seller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:

2) Who is responsible for shipping? The seller - never mind if USPS made a mistake; the seller is still responsible.

One witness for the prosecution and it's straight to the verdict, eh? If I were charged with something, I wouldn't want you on the jury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kkndx wrote:
Thanks guys!

The reason I don't want to expose their name is because I still don't know if it was their fault or it was USPS who screwed it up. But I agree when you say they could've handled this better.

I'll wait for their answer and let you know of the outcome.

Thanks again!

I admire your patience and your sense of fairness, Kevin. I sincerely hope there's a happy ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
enoon wrote:

One witness for the prosecution and it's straight to the verdict, eh? If I were charged with something, I wouldn't want you on the jury.
The buyer has already been charged for goods sent to the wrong country. No need for a jury to deliver a verdict - the buyer needs to protect himself and others need to be aware that the seller doens't give a damn. Or maybe you don't believe what the OP wrote? I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
enoon wrote:

Or in the courthouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Sphere wrote:
enoon wrote:

Or in the courthouse.

We're not in a court. We have an individual buyer being treated abysmally by a company that he has the good grace not to name.

I believe his report, and on that basis there is only one party at fault: the seller. We don't need a courthouse or a jury to know that the seller is responsible for putting this right, even if they don't want to.

I can't see how it is possible to argue otherwise unless you don't believe the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coel Williams
United States
Wichita Falls
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why the OP would lie what personal gain do you get from that..Seller is at fault and I hope they correct the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
Sphere wrote:
enoon wrote:

Or in the courthouse.

We're not in a court. We have an individual buyer being treated abysmally by a company that he has the good grace not to name.

I believe his report, and on that basis there is only one party at fault: the seller. We don't need a courthouse or a jury to know that the seller is responsible for putting this right, even if they don't want to.

I can't see how it is possible to argue otherwise unless you don't believe the OP.

So you are fully aware and knowledgeable of all the steps being taken by the seller to try to find out how to rectify the situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
So you are fully aware and knowledgeable of all the steps being taken by the seller to try to find out how to rectify the situation?
Yes thanks. We know all we need to know.
kkndx wrote:
... I sent an email to the store telling them what was happening but they did not really care, all they told me was to wait because my package was being sent to Brazil. I didn't think this info was correct so I decided to call USPS and get the information directly from them. They confirmed to me the package was sent to Israel, so I contacted the store back. The store admitted the package was incorrectly shipped to Israel and asked me to wait until the package arrives, which should be soon (that's what they told me). This happened around Oct-20/21, so about 1 month ago.
Unless you don't believe the OP, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
kkndx wrote:
... I sent an email to the store telling them what was happening but they did not really care, all they told me was to wait because my package was being sent to Brazil. I didn't think this info was correct so I decided to call USPS and get the information directly from them. They confirmed to me the package was sent to Israel, so I contacted the store back. The store admitted the package was incorrectly shipped to Israel and asked me to wait until the package arrives, which should be soon (that's what they told me). This happened around Oct-20/21, so about 1 month ago.

Maybe a tad bit over excited??

And to think I always figured there were two sides to every story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Li
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do tell us which store it is. Or at least send me a private geekmail so I know which store to avoid in the future.

There were personal experiences in the past (not with a game store) where I would notice something wrong, informed the business, but were ignored and were told to wait. It is something I really hate and would not tolerate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
enoon wrote:

Enoon is right, it is seller's fault.
Of course, If the package is going to be rerouted by the store, there is no reason for them to not send you a new package and collect the old one. Except for OOP or OOS games, what would their penalty be for not sending a new package right now?
HOWEVER, if the address in the package is correct, I would rethink... but two packages in a row, is a little too much

(I had some packages that got the wrong route - Mexico, Argentina and Finland - but they got rerouted in these countries - no need to go back to USA)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
enoon wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
kkndx wrote:

You appeared to have overlooked the important bits in the OP's narrative.

Quote:

Both of which appear in the OP's narrative - the bold bits are a clue. Unless you don't believe the OP, of course. I do.

Anyway, that's all from me on this subject; if you don't find the OP's narrative credible there's nothing more to be said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
kkndx wrote:

"All the steps" that I am referring to include anything the seller is doing that has not been communicated to the OP. Hence my using the words "all the steps being taken."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
enoon wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
kkndx wrote:

You appeared to have overlooked the important bits in the OP's narrative.

Quote:

Both of which appear in the OP's narrative - the bold bits are a clue. Unless you don't believe the OP, of course. I do.

Anyway, that's all from me on this subject; if you don't find the OP's narrative credible there's nothing more to be said.

Thank you for your insight.

I'm reminded of a time where I had a shipment get really messed up - called the store and got a questionable answer to my question. Asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that the first person I talked to was a relatively new employee and made an error.

It was a much easier resolution than finding the store address and burning it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in a store that sells online (non gaming), and we have had issues like this before. We just reship the order to the correct address, and handle the return to us of the other package separatly. Not exactly a hard thing to do, especially when the store knows it's a legit problem by having the tracking number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do if the original shipment eventually arrives to the buyer? Do they get to keep them for free, do they have to double purchase, or does your store have to pay for return shipping.

For international items, which aren't cheap to mail, I can imagine the return costs have to be expensive - wiping out any profit for the transaction, considering the initial shipping charges also consumed monies.

captds9e wrote:
I work in a store that sells online (non gaming), and we have had issues like this before. We just reship the order to the correct address, and handle the return to us of the other package separatly. Not exactly a hard thing to do, especially when the store knows it's a legit problem by having the tracking number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
What do you do if the original shipment eventually arrives to the buyer? Do they get to keep them for free, do they have to double purchase, or does your store have to pay for return shipping.

For international items, which aren't cheap to mail, I can imagine the return costs have to be expensive - wiping out any profit for the transaction, considering the initial shipping charges also consumed monies.

If the package goes where it's not supposed to via USPS/UPS, just contact them and have it sent back to you.They can intercept it (if it had tracking), as long as it's not on the truck at the final destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
Sphere wrote:
enoon wrote:

Or in the courthouse.

I imagine "we don't need a courthouse or a jury" has proved persuasive at many a lynching.

enoon wrote:

I do believe the OP, but must take into account that A) he is the aggrieved party and B) he has incomplete knowledge of the shipper's situation. I don't need to "argue otherwise" to know that one shouldn't convict based solely on a statement by the plaintiff. What's your hurry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ Shoemaker
United States
Lakeland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captds9e wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

If the package goes where it's not supposed to via USPS/UPS, just contact them and have it sent back to you.They can intercept it (if it had tracking), as long as it's not on the truck at the final destination.

I don't believe that's accurate for USPS. I shipped something to PA once and it somehow ended up in Hawaii before someone realized the package went to the wrong state. I sent the buyer a new item and contacted USPS about having that package re-routed to me. They told me that they can't intercept packages and return them to sender.

The buyer was cool and took it back to his post office marked as Refused -- Return to Sender. Still though, he could have kept both items and not much I could have done about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.