Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Arkham Horror. I purchased the first edition in 2006. It served as my gateway into designer board games and the board gaming hobby. I own every expansion. My wife loves to play it with me, and even made me a custom monster bag to hold all of the monster chits.

I recently packed away the game in preparation for a cross-country move. I normally keep the small cards separate from the game box, in a business cards organizer, but I removed them from the organizer and painstakingly packed them away before the move. Now that the move is complete and everything is unpacked, I was anxious to play my favorite game again.

I opened the base game box and the two other large expansion boxes I use to store all the components so I could transfer the small cards back to the organizer... but the small cards weren't there.

They aren't anywhere. I've torn open every other game box in the house to see if I might have packed them in a different box. I've peered in every dark corner of the house; in my frenzied madness, I've looked in the cabinet under the bathroom sink, even though it was empty the first two times I looked. There is nowhere left to look, which means that the cards just aren't in my house. This could only mean they are in a landfill.

I can't even play the base game, let alone Innsmouth Horror, Kingsport Horror, Dunwich Horror, The King in Yellow, Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (out of print 1st edition, no less), and Black Goat of the Woods. Miskatonic Horror and Lurker at the Threshold are intact, as they are recent acquisitions and hadn't been integrated it into the game yet. I'm heartbroken right now. I could be on one of those Buzzfeed "10 people who are having the worst day ever" lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm betting that they will show up sooner or later. Once you've unpacked everything, you will look around and go,"doh, that's where they are"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Socks !

Check your sock draw...

My wife packs small things inside socks when packing for travelling etc..whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why you don't use non-Euclidean geometries to store your things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Webb
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I lost something, my mom always told me to look under my bed. Mom was usually right. But, then again, that was before Arkham Horror...zombie

I'm sorry for your loss and sincerely hope they turn up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
This is why you don't use non-Euclidean geometries to store your things.

I know. I know. But the temptation is *so* great because you can pack in so much more...
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a bit and then look through everything again.

You may literally not be seeing it because you are looking for it.

I've gone all over the place looking for something. Then sat down and a bit later realized it was titting rither there in front of me all along.

Or gone through a box three times and not finding something. Then later there it is in the corner or under something else.

You miss it because you expect it to be in a certain spot and sometimes the brain "helps" you by editing it out of your perception because its not where you think it should be and thus cant possibly be that item you desperately need thats right there - so lets not bother the poor child with extraneous data ok?

Or you miss it because it looks like another stack and over and over you look at it and read B when its really A.

Enjoy the sanity loss... goosaurongoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel for you, I hope the cards turn up somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two and a half years later, I picked up the box for the Last Night on Earth: Survival of the Fittest expansion. The cards made an odd noise sliding around in the box; are they wrapped in plastic? Did I not unwrap them after I moved? I've played Last Night on Earth since moving, but I haven't gotten out the expansion. So I open it up:

That's not LNoE cards.... What madness is this?

Arkham, Pharoah, Dunwich, Lurker, Kingsport, Innsmouth, Goat, King in Yellow... it is all here! It is an equinox miracle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reading your first post made me sad.
Now i am so happy for you! Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.