Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have received a voucher from GMT as a reward for taking part in the Twilight Struggle Kickstarter. But it can only be used for an In-Stock game, not on a P500. I'm a bit lost, as most of my preferred games are only on P500. I was hoping some of you could help me decide how to use my voucher.

Most of my gaming will likely be 2-player. I also don't want anything that's too insanely complex, partly for the benefit of my most likely opponent. And obviously it has to be an in-stock GMT game.

Paths of Glory is my favourite game of all time. I also love Twilight Struggle. I enjoyed Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? and We the People / Washington's War, as well as 1960: The Making of the President. Wilderness War, Sword of Rome and The Napoleonic Wars were fine. I didn't really get on with For the People, Pursuit of Glory, Unhappy King Charles! or World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin.

Outside of CDGs but still within GMT, I really liked Conquest of Paradise. Battle Line, Ivanhoe and Formula Motor Racing were fine light fun. I couldn't enjoy Europe Engulfed despite several attempts at it.

Outside of GMT entirely, my favourite game after PoG is Dominion. I also like lots of other medium-heavy Euros like Vinci, Power Grid, and Imperial.

Hope someone can help! Thanks in advance if anyone can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in somewhat the same position. All of the ones I knew I wanted are out of stock and/or P500.
You might take a look at Fire in the Lake, I've really been enjoying that one. It's a different take on card driven which are my favorite heavy(ish) games. I was hoping to pick up the other COIN titles with Xmas voucher, but they are all out of stock.
On the bright side, I did just score Andean Abyss in a trade!

You might also look at the Down in Flames stuff, it looks like you enjoy some of the non-traditional wargames, too.

I may decide to just sell my coupon and use the funds for another P500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Same boat, same problem. If I didn't already have it, it was out of stock. If they would let us use it on a P500, noooo problem (though I do understand why they wouldn't want to do that).

I even thought about auctioning off my voucher code for GG, but it the end I went with 1989 as it was in stock and I really like Twilight Struggle (obviously).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients

OR

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
[When asked if he would give a speech, Jinx said,] "Me, I'm a doer, not a talker." And when they asked him what it was he did, he said, "Sleep, mostly." -Walter R. Brooks
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the various Combat Commander Series games in stock? Or Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan? They're excellent! (Well, except for CC: Pacific, which
I didn't like at all ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could always go for a pack of 10 counter trays. $20 minus the $15 leaves the whole order at $15 including shipping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

Which would you say is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alecc wrote:
Could always go for a pack of 10 counter trays. $20 minus the $15 leaves the whole order at $15 including shipping!

Shipping is high for this Englishman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Alecc wrote:

Shipping is high for this Englishman
Have a to help with shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:

Which would you say is better?

I find that a tough call to make, but Ancients is more highly rated, and given you liked BattleLine, you would be familiar with some of the troop abilities. The 5th printing has just started shipping, so I would say the omens are favouring this one.

Both have active VASSAL communities if you want to try them out.

Both have comprehensive fan websites
http://www.ccancients.net/
http://www.ccnapoleonics.net/

Worst case, if you hate them, both games easily re-sell.

You do have to sticker blocks, which some people hate, and some find therapeutic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With CC:Ancients you can't go far wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killy9999 wrote:
With CC:Ancients you can't go far wrong.

And I'm not sure that I'd try CC:Napoleonics before giving CC:Ancients a go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote here for CC: Ancients.

Trouble is, if you ask anything regarding "best of", you will get 100 replies with 100 different answers. Go with what whets your appetite.

My personal all-time favorite GMT game is Space Empires: 4X, for numerous reasons.

Whatever you decide upon, enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has now been confirmed, you guys and GMT games are total a-holes.

Just bought new games during the autumn sale, got this 15$ voucher and said "well I guess I should buy something cheap like an expansion for this".

One thread and one wargamer without restraint later I have ordered C&C: Ancients + expansion 1,2 and 3. Well at least I got 15$ off which is more than third off the shipping.

I really wanted to get C&C:Napoleonics as well. What is wrong with us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the word 'addict' springs to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

No I can quit when I wan't to. I don't have to buy these games.

You are not my real dad anyways!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not like I check the GMT website daily to see if the Prussians are shipping yet... nope, I'm totally cool with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:

No I can quit when I wan't to. I don't have to buy these games.

You are not my real dad anyways!

It's not really a problem until your wife finds copies of Combat Commander hidden above the ceiling tiles.

I tried convincing my wife I was a heroin addict to explain why we didn't have any money. She discovered the truth eventually...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glorfindel De Rivendel
msg tools
Does anybody know if it is possible to spend two vouchers for the same product/order? I have got two vouchers because my brother and I both got a CE each.

Using two vouchers at the same time is the only way to get a game in the GMT store at an affordable price when you are living overseas.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.