BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which one should we buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a game(maybe two, depending on price) next month.

I'm torn between:
Bruges
Imperial Settler
Five tribes
Mad King Ludwig
Troyes.

I mostly play with my girlfriend but sometimes with more players.

We like games that are dynamic each time you play, that have some randomness to them and that do not feel like multiplayer solitaire. Also we prefer games that have multiple strategic ways to win the game.

What we own and like: Carcassone(which is not strategic enough), Castles of Burgundy, Keyflower and Eldritch Horror.

Also, if there's a game you think would better suit our needs, we'd love to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Settlers of Catan would seem to be a painfully apparent choice. Is there a reason it's not on the short list?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you've listed, I'd recommend Troyes.

Caveat:
I have not played Imperial Settlers or Ludwig. I'm a pretty big Portal fan, so Imperial Settlers may eventually be played, but Bezier Games have yet to click with me, so I'll probably never play Ludwig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lockett
United Kingdom
Fishponds, Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges without a doubt.

Many ways to score points and each card is unique but you play with a number of fifths equal to the number of players so masses of variation and replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilde Vandierendonck
Belgium
zemst
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges and Troyes are both very good games. Haven't played five tribes or Mad King Ludwig. Imperial Settlers feels like a solitaire game with unbalanced powers and the text on the cards is very small. For a card game it is very annoying. It has high ratings but I advise: try before buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendations for Bruges and Troyes from your short list. Although I haven't played the others and they all seem like good games, I don't know how good they are as both 2p and "with more" that you seek.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges and Troyes. Awesome games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sims
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers is one of my favorite games. I disagree that it is unbalanced. While every faction in the game feels radically different, once you figure out the strategy for each faction, each game with that faction will feel very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
but Bezier Games have yet to click with me, so I'll probably never play

You should at least give it a shot. I didn't really dig Suburbia (it was "ok" but nothing special), but I quite enjoyed Castles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludwig for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played all but Imperial Settlers and rate all highly.

They all play well with two, have multiple paths to victory and have replability. So, the deciding factor would seem to be whether they are multiplayer solitare.

I believe Troyes is the most interactive as while you own a pool of dice they may be purchased from you without your consent. So you really have to plan the order of your moves in advance and decide when to protect your dice and when to snatch them from the other players.

The other three are much less interactive. In Castles of Mad King, you set the prices of rooms. In Five Tribes you auction turn order. In neither game do I think you will often use a turn to block someone else's action. In Bruges, you will early on fight for certain majorities in a form of very indirect interaction. The only direct interaction is a few cards that give your opponents' negative effects, but that is not a big part of the game.

So, given your criteria, I'd go with Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
In order:

Five tribes
Bruges
Mad King Ludwig, Troyes (tie)
Imperial Settlers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Settlers of Catan would seem to be a painfully apparent choice. Is there a reason it's not on the short list?

S.

I think the word painful covered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

He says he plays mostly with the GF and sometimes with others. Settlers takes 3 players, which would restrict the GF plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five tribes is good for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

I think the word painful covered it.

Actually our family owns Catan. I adore the game. It is so good in my opinion.
My girlfriend doesn't. She actually never quite played a one full game, so she probably doesn't even know the rules, but she doesn't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

He says he plays mostly with the GF and sometimes with others. Settlers takes 3 players, which would restrict the GF plays.

There is a 2-player variant (actually more than one). My wife an I have played with 2. I'm not a huge fan of the game with 2, 3 or any other number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go as far as to say that the only one of those you "need" is Troyes.

Edit: if you liked Burgundy, look at Trajan and/or Luna over Bruges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Brugges , troyes and imperial settlers will al be good choises as 2 players games . These are the games i have played the most with my wife without our daughter.

Five tribes is better with 3 or more then with 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.