Oort Cloud
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi - I'm a CC: P newbie just getting to grips with the rules and trying out scenario B - Ambush at Mogaung.

It's set up has just special objective Y (+1 for exiting), and no secret/open objectives for Japan or Allies, but it still says to place control markers. If there are no VPs for objectives why do this?? I'm sure I must be missing something!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
OortCloud wrote:
Hi - I'm a CC: P newbie just getting to grips with the rules and trying out scenario B - Ambush at Mogaung.

It's set up has just special objective Y (+1 for exiting), and no secret/open objectives for Japan or Allies, but it still says to place control markers. If there are no VPs for objectives why do this?? I'm sure I must be missing something!

Thanks!

Hi Oort - some cards can cause new objectives to be drawn, which then can potentially give value to objectives which don't initially have value.

For this reason, you should know and be aware of the potential value of objective hexes, as well as their current value. For example, in many Combat Commander games (not just Pacific), objective 5 is more frequently a high value objective. You can confirm this by looking through the various objective chits. Since it's possible to draw almost any chit as a new objective, you should be conscious of the distribution of potential points among the various objectives.

It's a key part of higher levels of play, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
OortCloud wrote:
If there are no VPs for objectives why do this??

In addition to Events E67 Mission Objective and E76 Strategic Objective mentioned by Kozure above, there is also E57 Field of Battle which awards 1 VP for controlling more objectives than your opponent. Need to track control to determine if the event awards you the VP or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oort Cloud
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I see and I understand - 1-5 for 5, 1-4 for 4 etc - thanks!

Just digging through the cards and I found 2 objective events 'Mission Objective' and 'Strategic Objective'. Is this what you are referring to or are there more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oort Cloud
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You beat me to my reply - thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
OortCloud wrote:
Just digging through the cards

All the possible events are listed under EVENTS in the rulebook, so no need to dig through cards.

Which brings up a side point. The event text on the card is a reminder of the full text of the event found in the rulebook. If you are ever in question about how to complete an event from the card text, the rulebook should clarify the proper procedure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oort Cloud
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes - badly worded - I should have said I was digging through the events in the rule book.

Anyway, I appreciate the explanation, so thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Glad to help. Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.