Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sbirakos
Australia
Canberra, ACT
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy making and playing P&P games and Star Requiem: Humanity's Last Stand is the 5th craft project after Skirmish Wars: Advance Tactics and its follow up Skirmish Wars: Blitz, the Chitin: I redesign, and Charge at the Alamo when the P&P files were available several years ago.

So with the past projects in crafting, I can say with a degree of confidence that I'm pretty experienced in making these. But Star Requiem was one tough mother to build.

I wanted to do the game justice by making a build that was nice to look at and play with. All the pieces from the board to the cards have been printed on glossy photo paper and are laminated and/or mounted.

Here is the board which folds inwards 6x.

I learned how to make mounted and folded boards by following this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFrL3emw6U

This the battle board which folds inwards. According to the designer Steve Hawkins, the battle board is a variation to the quick resolution battles presented in the rules and provides for more interesting strategic/tactical play:

The Human and Xyl counters number 70 and 71 respectively and measure 17mm x 17mm when printed on A4 however, each race has capital class, dreadnought class, assault class and flagship class counters that are different measurements. These unit types give a rich feel to the level of power they possess and contrast nicely to normal unit counters. In addition, the corners of the counters are 5mm which in Imperial measurement is 1/16 of an inch. All the counters of the game have been hand cut and mounted. The game also has game board and battle board counters which are the same dimensions as the normal Human/Xyl counters totaling 238 counters. In the game, there are a total of 90 chit draw counters that measure 15mm x 17mm when printed on A4 paper. Therefore all up, the counters total to 469.

Building this part was vary labour intensive but when you are watching all 6 DVD's of Martin Scorsese's - The Blues (a music genre which I love), the process becomes less painful.

The boards are the ship yards that you use to build and deploy your units:

The following pictures show the Human Scientific Progress Board, the Human Builds Tracking Board, Human Fleets Tracking Board and the Xyl Fleet Intel Display. The rules manual is in the background:

And finally, we have the manual, the Human and Xyl system cards along with the System Threat Level cards and my custom made box to house it all in.

Edit: I forgot to upload the Star Requiem Tables and the Human Mission Reference Sheet. These are laminated but not mounted:

From the artwork to the rules writing of the manual, the game looks polished and ready to go, but I haven't gone through the process of trying it out as yet. Other than reading the rules several times, it appears to flow quite nicely.

Lately, I've been reading a lot of military sci-fi and post apocalyptic military horror novels and the idea of Humanity on the brink of disaster standing against an alien aggressor developed as a solo boardgame really appealed to me. While the build was a fun to make, I'm hoping that the effort was worthwhile and the reward will be there with terrific and challenging game play.

Stay tuned and I will post a play through session in the next couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to do this project and make the components quality like you did. My biggest impediment is finding adequate materials for backing for the counters and board. I don't want just flimsy cardstock.

I actually did a pretty nice version early in the playtesting phase. Everything was glued to a second or third backing of cardstock and was sprayed with a glossy coating. I learned a lot but it was kind of fruitless and foolish as the game was early in playtest and many things changed.

It's still my goal to make a nice copy of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sbirakos
Australia
Canberra, ACT
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
I really want to do this project and make the components quality like you did. My biggest impediment is finding adequate materials for backing for the counters and board. I don't want just flimsy cardstock.

I actually did a pretty nice version early in the playtesting phase. Everything was glued to a second or third backing of cardstock and was sprayed with a glossy coating. I learned a lot but it was kind of fruitless and foolish as the game was early in playtest and many things changed.

It's still my goal to make a nice copy of this game.

Thanks Ryan!

I'm really happy with the way it has turned out. I sourced all materials from online stores and local hobby shops that had materials on special etc. I wanted to make the game but keep it as cheap as possible.

I bought 3 sheets of A1 backing material for $5each, the laminating pouches and the glossy A4 sheets from Australian ebay at very cheap prices. I even found canon 'knock off' printer cartridges from Hong Kong - 20 cartridges for $80 and considering one canon cartridge is from $60-$80, very cheap.

I hope you get to build a quality copy one day. But, if you could ease my mind and tell me the game plays well, then the effort would have been well worth it

The only issue I have is the size of the footprint. But I suppose its no bigger than say, Mosby's Raiders or The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC when set out and I enjoy those games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hawkins
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter,

That looks amazing! Honestly, your set is waaaaaaay better than the test sets I created. I can emphathize with Ryan in that respect - it changed so much it wasn't worth making a 'nice' copy that I would have to write on or cut up a week later! :-P

I'm glad you took the time to put it together - I know it's daunting and thus why it doesn't have much play, but I'm very proud of the design and worked on it for about a year, so there is a lot of work behind the design. I am happy the art and components turned out so well. I'm especially proud of the counters and the board (it's large, but you should have seen some of the first designs!)

After all the work I hope you like it and if you have any questions feel free to ask!!!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sbirakos
Australia
Canberra, ACT
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Texashawk76 wrote:
Peter,

That looks amazing! Honestly, your set is waaaaaaay better than the test sets I created. I can emphathize with Ryan in that respect - it changed so much it wasn't worth making a 'nice' copy that I would have to write on or cut up a week later! :-P

I'm glad you took the time to put it together - I know it's daunting and thus why it doesn't have much play, but I'm very proud of the design and worked on it for about a year, so there is a lot of work behind the design. I am happy the art and components turned out so well. I'm especially proud of the counters and the board (it's large, but you should have seen some of the first designs!)

After all the work I hope you like it and if you have any questions feel free to ask!!!

Steve

Steve,

The theme REALLY appeals to me and I spent a lot of time reading your blog posts and different reports hence the decision to go ahead and assemble it.

I'm heading to Thailand with my wife for a 2 week holiday (need the break!) and this is coming with me. So I should have plenty of opportunities to give it a several cracks. I'll write up a session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.