Nox Noxley
Germany
Waldstetten
flag msg tools
Hello folks,

my idea of reading all the rules-questions here on BGG ahead of my first game was kind of disillusioning. I got confronted here with about 10 pages with threads to rules. surprise

Starting to read through all these, there was soon clear, that there was no way to memorize all that. And an easy search wouldn't seem possible during play. So why not "write" it all up? And why then not just make it accessible to all, who made this possible?

Since there is no official FAQ yet (and those FAQ often tend to leave many questions unanswered anyway) I started to collect mostly of those question, which were asked, discussed and often satisfyingly answered by some smart boardgamegeek-users.

This following list is a simple Copy&Paste work. Since I didn't contribute to any of the threads, all the credits belong to the users, who asked and answered in those threads. (Thank you at that point! And: please don't sue me...laugh)

Facts concerning this "unofficial FAQ/Errata Version 1.0":

- It covers questions asked till 17.November 2014 concerning City of the Ancients, Swamps of Death and the Outlaw-promo

- Most probably I will not update this "FAQ" (life is short, time is scarce and there are games to be played! )

- Anybody may feel free to copy&paste this and continue this collection (with consecutive version-number?)

- For reasons of clarity no quoting was used, so hopefully nobody is annoyed that he is not mentioned as the originator. whistle

- I didn't bother to correct any grammatical or spelling errors (especially since it isn't my native language)

- Keep in mind that most of the answers were given by other players with a common sense but not by the designers...

- Not all answers seemed satisfying and there is sometimes a "opinion/discussion" set ahead of the answers, where no mutual answer was given. But feel free to back-search by copy&paste for the original thread.

- Sometimes (By Jason Hill = Designer) or (by Adam Canning (dahak) = Playtester) was added, to make those answers kind of semiofficial (but then again, not every time dahak was involved, he got mentioned)
dahak wrote:
I'm not a Playtester. Wish I was.
When I've been quoting things from Playtesters it has been things Joel Flamme or Amy Stone have said.
IIRC they are the SoBs Playtesters who occasionally post on BGG.

- There might be questions on same topic repeated, so choose the ones you understand best.

- Tried to seperate the questions into topics, but some questions belong to several, so I just had to make some decisions...

- Try "search" from your browser to look for a question, if you can't find under the topic you expected it to be.

- In several cases I had to choose from multiple answers and/or had to make some changes in the questions/answers to keep it sensible.

- Sometimes there were several answers added together to one big answer, when it seemed to serve understanding.

- I didn't check for contradictions between different answers. Actually I didn't check for anything.

- For some time from now on I will be doing some editing concerning improvements/errors you can find (because as noted, I haven't played the game yet and some of my "changes" for a better understanding might been too much change). Or maybe some questions might get this way a reasonable answer, which should replace the existing one. Some question may surely better placed in another topic, too.

===================================================================================

FAQ - Topics/ Chapters:

1. Errata / Clarification (by Jason Hill)

2. General / Miscellaneous

3. Grid

4. Map

5. Exploration

6. Scavenge

7. Hold back the Darkness / Darkness Cards / Growing Dread Cards:

8. Encounter

9. Enemies

10. Enemy Movement

11. Enemy Attacks

12. Enemy Ambush

13. Hero Action / Movement

14. Hero Ranged Attacks

15. Hero Melee Attack

16. Hero Free Attack

17. Dynamite

18. Sermons

19. Faith

20. Defense / Armor

21. K O'd Hero

22. Flee the mine

23. Tokens

24. Items

25. Personal Items

26. Loot

27. Weight

28. Dark Stones

29. Item Upgrades

30. Sanity

31. Corruption

32. Leveling up

33. Event / Hazard table

34. Town

35. Missions

(36.-39. = placeholder for other topics)

40. Lawman

41. Outlaw

42. Preacher / Nun

43. Rancher

44. Gunslinger

45. U.S. Marshall

46. Saloon Girl / Piano Player

=======================================================================================

1. Errata / Clarification (by Jason Hill):

Corruption Points:
Though listed under the Damage Heading on page 15 of the rulebook, Corruption is not considered ‘Damage’ and may not be prevented by things that prevent ‘Damage’.

Rolling for Dark Stone Mutation:
Grit may NOT be used when rolling to see how many Corruption Hits you take from the Dark Stone you carry. (It may still be used to Re-roll the Willpower saves though to prevent the Corruption itself).

‘Once Per Turn’ Items in Town:
Items/Abilities that say once per Turn may not be used in Town (for that they need to say ‘per Day in Town’ or ‘per Town Stay’).

Also, Pickpocket at the Saloon Town Location should actually read, "if you roll one or more 6’s you may draw a Gear Card."

Scavenge cards (e.g. "Hideous Discovery") that says "Lose 2 Sanity/Health" should actually say "Take 2 Sanity/Health damage". That particular card was not intended to cause permanent sanity loss.
Use the rule of thumb that sanity loss (and health) isn't permanent unless specifically stated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. General / Miscellaneous:

Q: "I got both Swamps of Death and City of the Ancients and am wondering how best to integrate the cards from both sets.":
A: Post by the designer, Jason Hill:
The only three elements that you may not want to mix together are the Loot deck, Scavenge deck, and the Exploration Tokens. These can be mixed together to just give you a double-sized deck/stack of each, but all that really does is give you a lot more potential for swings of luck (for better or worse) when drawing from those decks/stacks. It makes things more random, but can allow you to never pull Gear or Artifacts as Loot, or go potentially twice as long in the mines without finding the objective room, if you are unlucky. It doesn't really 'break' anything though, so it is up to you.

Q: Concerning mine-map tile:
Seems to me that if you remove one set of passages in an otherwise combined deck, you are throwing off the ratios, increasing the number of rooms you're drawing. Given that the passages are partly a delaying
mechanism, allowing Darkness to proceed forward, by reducing that you're making the game easier. Right?
A: This is true, but the problem I have with having 2 sets of passages in the deck is if a majority of them get shuffled to the top of the deck you can lose the game in the least fun and interesting way possible.
Darkness escapes, game lost, oh well.
If you want to prevent random boring loss but want to keep the ratios intact here's what I suggest:

1. Use only one set of passage cards, and pull them out of the map deck.
2. Shuffle the rooms all together.
3. Cut the deck in half.
4. Shuffle the passage cards into half the deck and place that half on top.

This means the ratio is what the designers intended, but the max you can run into is also what the designers intended.
I don't use this system, I don't think it's necessary, but if you want to keep the ratio in line this will help you.
Also, I understand that Brimstone is a game with a lot of randomness in its core, and losing to randomness sometimes is to be expected. I don't enjoy losing to randomness in a boring way, however, and will do
everything in my power to mitigate that possibility. Going into a room and having 4 threat cards show up with ambush and horrible add-ons and getting killed by the horde is fun. Walking down a tunnel till the game tells you your out of time is not.

Q: When is a player rolling in the capacity of the game [G], and when is a player rolling in the capacity of "you" the hero [H]?
A1: Here's the breakdown of how we play it during playtesting:
No:
Enemy attack/damage rolls
Selecting a hero randomly
Enemy elite chart abilities
Leveling-up chart rolls - The intent was always that you couldn't re-roll these. Pretty sure that will find it's way onto an errata sheet.

Yes:
Bandage, whiskey, and herb rolls
Mutation chart rolls
Injury chart rolls
Madness chart rolls
Travel Hazard chart rolls
Attack rolls
Damage rolls
Defense rolls
Willpower rolls
Armor rolls
Spirit Armor rolls
Movement rolls
Scavenge rolls
Adventure rewards that have rolls listed

Not sure, I never thought to use grit on it:
Dynamite bounce rolls - probably yes
Die to determine if there is a travel hazard - probably yes

A2: Jason has said that you CANNOT grit the end-of-adventure Darkstone-does-corruption-Hits-to-your-Hero roll (you can still grit the Will Save tho).
This rule follows the prevailing wisdom, because it's something that happens "to" your Hero (like an attack) but ... its not any different then rolling for town events, mutations, and travel events - which are also things that happen "to" your hero - which you totally CAN grit.
And according to Harlow you can't grit Level Up rolls, which is also something that happens "to" your Hero.
So we have a bunch of stuff that falls into that category, each with a different "grittable" status. It seems like we need more consistent stipulations, or (God forbid) an individual ruling on every situation. I can tell you from experience that if you're allowed to grit every roll, the game becomes quite easy.

Q: Difference Activation - Turn?
A: The reason I clarified that the wording on Comforting Presence should read "at the end of the turn" is that there is no such thing as a "hero's turn" in SOBS. When an individual hero 'goes', it's called an
"Activation", not a "Turn". The terms "Turn" and "Activation" mean very specific things. From the Glossary in the Adventure book:

Activation – An individual model or group of Enemies’ opportunity
to move and attack during the turn.

Turn – One game round, from the Hold Back the Darkness phase to
the End of the Turn phase.

For the most part, those terms should be consistent and specific. There may be a few instances though where it's not clear (like comforting presence), which I imagine they'll compile in a FAQ at some point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Grid:

Q: I tried to search for the grit FAQ but cannot find anything, so hope someone here knows.
I am unsure about how to get more Grit tokens. So far I only see the move roll of 1 as the only way to get these, but then getting level up abilities of +1 Max Grit seem pretty useless (no way I can have 5 grit at any point in the adventure and not use it).
A: Some of the ways to get grit:
Some Encounters generate it.
Tonic and Saxon's Fancy Tonic are Grit in liquid form.
Some of the character's abilities generate it (the Marshal has a starting ability which gives him a 50% chance of getting a grit for each kill.)
Some of the Personal Items, like the Cigarette, Gear, like the Looking Glass, and Artifacts, like the Tome of Ro'Kal, generate the stuff (usually in exchange for sanity or corruption)
Double 6 on Hold Back the Darkness has Grit gain as an option.
Void Injections increase max Grit for an Adventure and you start the Adventure on Max Grit.
Riding a Mustang gives you an extra point of grit while travelling.
Some of the World rules increase the acquisition of Grit.
If you didn't activate on the last turn of a Fight you can recover a Grit instead of Healing as part of Catching your Breath

Q: Was there confirmation from FFP as to which rolls Grit can be used for?
A: Kinda. It's been briefly touched on by FFP, but there isn't really a robust ruling. The best I can do is:
you can grit rolls that your Hero is specifically instructed to make, but not rolls that the player is. If this sounds weird and confusing, that's because it is. Some cases are straight forward - you can grit your To Hit rolls, but not a monster's. Some are not - you can't grit Corruption To-Hit Rolls from Dark Stone. I suppose if you think of the latter as an attack made by the Dark Stone itself against your Hero that Hits on a [1-3], then it's consistent with the logic from the former.
Examples of things you CAN Grit:
- Tests your hero makes
- Things that happen as a result of visiting a town space (because your hero is responsible for those rolls, because the Town Game is really just a bunch of people parallel playing their own single player mini-games)
- Attacks your Hero makes
- Saves of all Kinds
- Damage Rolls
- Travel Events (which is weird cause you can't grit Mutations)
Examples of things you CAN'T Grit:
- Hold Back the Darkness
- Monster attacks and choices
- Rolling to see how many Dark Stone Corruption Hits you have to defend again
- Rolls that could conceivably be made by people who aren't even playing (random Hero, random turn direction, etc)
- Any Other rolls made on behalf of the game's AI (random Hero roll, Which Elite Ability a Monster Has rolls, How Many Zombies Are Here rolls, etc)
- Mutations (which is weird cause you can grit Travel Events)

Some of these could be cogently argued for the other side, so feel free to do whatever you gotta do to make the game balanced and fun until FFP gives us something a little more solid.

Q: How much Grit at the start of the adventure / end of adventure?
A: You reset to one at the beginning and reset one at the end. (Exception: the Gunslinger advances allows him to start each scenario and each travel step with 2.)

Q: I understand the mechanics that enable/prevent you from moving when in combat with, lets say, strangler (which requires a +6 to escape).
The wording on page 26 says you must "first roll an escape test before moving". My question is can I still roll for movement to try for grit? The way I interpreted the wording is that I could roll for movement
(trying for grit), roll for escape; pass=move / fail=stay.
A: You always roll for movement/grit.
Its only when you try to actually move the figure that the escape test comes into play and might stop you from moving to a different space.

Q: When may Grid be used?
A: "Note that as the game itself is playing the Enemies, it is up to other players to actually roll the dice for the Enemies’ Attacks. A player should not roll the Enemy Attacks on their own Hero (that would be bad form). Instead, one of the other players should roll the dice for the Enemy Attacks against you (rulebook page 27)."
"Using Grit
A hero can use grit to do one of three things:
-Use 1 grit to reroll any number of dice that [YOU] just rolled.
-Use 1 grit to add an extra D6 to your movement.
-Use grit to activate a special ability or item that requires it (rulebook page 7)."

Q: When is a player rolling in the capacity of the game [G], and when is a player rolling in the capacity of "you" the hero [H]?
A: Many of the below guesses are based on whether or not the word "you" is used:

Rolls made as the game [G] or you the hero [H] spectrum:
[G] Enemy attack rolls
[G] Selecting a hero randomly
[G?] Enemy elite chart abilities
[G?] Various cards drawn that have rolls listed
[G?] Adventure rewards that have rolls listed
[G??] Dynamite bounce rolls
[G??] Bandage, whiskey, and herb rolls
[H??] Mutation chart rolls
[H??] Injury chart rolls
[H??] Madness chart rolls
[H?] Die to determine if there is a travel hazard
[H?] Travel Hazard chart rolls
[H?] Leveling-up chart rolls (there seems to be quite the argument over this one)
[H] Attack rolls
[H] Damage rolls
[H] Defense rolls
[H] Willpower rolls
[H] Armor rolls
[H] Spirit Armor rolls
[H] Attribute rolls
[H] Skill rolls
[H] Extra Movement rolls
[H] Scavenge rolls
[H] Activation of special abilities
[H] Activation of special items

The rulebook says you can can use grit to "re-roll any of number of dice just rolled" and doesn't expound on it any more than that. I mean RAW you could argue that you can use Grit to re-roll anything at all, no matter what. This lead to us favoring the person with the most Grit as the official "game decision" roller and we decided quickly that the context re:Grit prolly wasn't intended to be so unnecessarily meta.
So I talked to FFP about it and they said ... what I said in my previous post. If a roll doesn't have an authoritative and unique Hero-based source and/or target, then it's probably not Grit-able. It has to be dice you have rolled for your Hero, as opposed to for the game in general.
And yeah, the Doc "does" the surgery, but anything you do in a given Town Building is done via your Hero. You make the choice to go there, you place your character in the building, you roll to see if the building explodes/robs you/Is Crimson Hand HQ/Is Normal and THEN you choose what your character does there. One of the options is surgery which instructs you to roll. Given that this line of events is highly specific to your character in every way, we can safely assume that its your character making the roll, rather then the player for the purposes of global external circumstance.

4. Map:

Q: Does the mine entrance get an exploration token in the basic game?
A: No.

Q: What is the point of a passageway in the game other than to delay heroes from progressing? They don't have Encounters and can't be scavenged. (Or did I read the rulebook wrong?)
A: Any tile can be scavenged. The rooms without encounter still tick down the depth chart meter as well.

Q: We came across the encounter Void Lair, which is a a Remains in Play card and we are confused about when and how often we roll the "roll a d6" portion of the card. Is the remains in play just the bold text affecting the to hit numbers or do we also need to roll a d6 every turn to see if more spiders spawn - and if so does every character in that room need to roll it?
A: You only roll the D6 once (when the card is first resolved). The only ongoing affect is the 1 higher to hit portion.

Q: At least one of the targa plateau map cards has an icon on it that says Indoor Terrain or Indoor (I forget which exactly), we were in the cryo chamber. What does this mean? Does that mean that the weather effects do not affect you on this map tile? We couldn't find that mentioned anywhere in the rules.
A: When this was revealed last summer, I thought it was going to have something to do with either weather, flying, or throwing dynamite. But who knows. I've heard no word on what it's for.

Q: Meaning of Encounter icon in bottom left hand corner of map deck card. For example, on the map deck card that shows the ancient ruins what does the "Advanced: Ancient Ruins mean in the bottom left hand corner?
A: Rule Book Page 32......"ADVANCED ENCOUNTERS
Every Unique Room Map Tile has a specific theme to it, and there is a matching Encounter card in the Encounter Deck that shares that theme. At the bottom of each Map Card that represents a Unique Room is a red
band that lists the specific Encounter associated with that room.
When using the Advanced Encounters Optional Rule, any time a Unique Room is Explored, the listed Advanced Encounter is added to that Exploration. Search the Encounter Deck (and discard Pile if needed) to find the listed Encounter card (shuffle the deck afterwords). This is in addition to any other Encounters or Attacks listed on the Exploration Token. Also, Advanced Encounters like this cannot be canceled or re-drawn."

Q: Some Targa Plateau cards, such as the Cryo Chamber shown below, have an symbol on them labeled "Interior". What for?
A: A few things in both sets allow for future expansion and fan-made stuff. There is currently nothing that alludes to "interior" rooms.

5. Explore:

Q: If you Look into a room, can the next hero enter said room before it becomes explored? And if the heroes were nuts, could you effectively reveal 6 tiles in one turn (assuming a 6 hero game)? I.e. move and look, next hero moves and looks, etc.?
A1: Yes. Can lead to some serious fights though. The most we've done is three tile explorations in the same turn. it did not go well for us.
We don't tend to move onto the tile though it is allowed as far as I can tell. So far it seems better to build a wall and let them come to you.
A2: Yes-No. When you reveal a new room you put a discovery token on it. Other heroes can move onto that tile but cant explore further until that token is revealed later in the turn(step 3), because you wont know which doors will be open, which doors will be portals till that step. Exception being corridors cause those don't get a discovery token.
A3: In an ambush, characters are surrounded no matter where they are (So long as they are on the same world as the trigger for the Ambush. Heroes on different worlds [In the Mines when someone triggers an Ambush in Jargono for example] don't get targeted as part of the Ambush.). All you're heroes would have to survive alone. Splitting up a bit is doable but I would never let all the heroes go on alone.
A4: On top of that the lantern only lights the tile the carrier is on and the two adjacent ones. Unless it are rooms with allot of doors you wont be able to light up 6 rooms.
A5: You can move onto an Unexplored Tile. You have to, to Explore Tiles through Gates. Technically since you have to move onto the jigsaw you always have to move on to the tile to reveal its Exploration Token.
I'm nearly sure you can't do either sort of searching on a tile with an unrevealing Exploration Marker however. (by Adam Canning (dahak))

EDIT (see post by Derek VDG (dvang)): A2 is the correct answer. (A3 is also correct, but doesn't really relate to the question being asked.) A4 is sort of correct, in that the lantern only "lights up" the current tile and adjacent ones. However, there is nothing in the rules that says a doorway/tile must be "lit" by the lantern to be revealed/look-through. The only difference the lantern distance makes is for whether or not a Hero is affected by Voices In The Dark effects.
Anyway, as A2 says, Heroes may move onto a recently revealed tile that has an unrevealed exploration token. However, since it has not been determined how many exits exist on the map tile, nor which connections the exits are at, Heroes may not look-through connections on a tile that has an unrevealed Exploration token. Heroes on different tiles (without unrevealed exploration tokens) may look-through multiple doorways. If the new tile is a passageway, there is no unrevealed Exploration token, and therefore Heroes MAY look-through new connections on the newly revealed passageway tile.

Q: Lets say I'm playing a 2 hero game. Hero 1 with the higher initiative on her move phase moves to the end of a tile, looks through the door, discovers a room tile, places the room tile along with a face down exploration token.
Can hero 2 if the roll is sufficient move onto that newly flipped room tile before the exploration token is revealed?
If yes, then that hero cannot obviously peek through a door in that room since it has not been established yet how many doors are there, since we have not yet begun the exploration phase, correct?
A: you are correct on all accounts. It is possible to move into a new room with an unrevealed exploration token. Note: you may not scavenge the room yet. The negative part of jumping way out into that room is if monsters spawn. You might find character 2 cutoff from support and go down quick. Building from this, characters CAN peer through a new door if the tile is a passage (A passage cannot have blocked doors since no exploration token gets placed in them.) because the doors are all automatically open (They could even instead choose to scavenge.).

Q: US Marshall is one space away from the puzzle connection half-space. The next tile has not been laid as no one has yet looked through the doorway. Marshall rolls a 6 for move. Can he just charge into the room, drawing the Map Card without looking first? Or is he required to stop at the half space and look through before entering? Thx in advance.
A: You have to do all movement and then take an exploration action, which can be Scavenging or Looking Through a Door.
So there is no way to move onto a new tile in the same move that reveals it, because you cannot reveal the tile until you finish your movement.

Q: Is it normal to reveal a room with monsters in it who, before you can even attack, swarm you (with movement of 5) and do serious damage?
A: It can be. It depends on the enemies drawn, and the Initiative of the Heroes. Yes, if you spawn 12 Void Spiders with Elite abilities, they can swarm the Heroes and cause decent damage before the Heroes can react.
Positioning can help with this, with the Heroes bottle-necking to prevent the spiders from surrounding them.
On many occasions, the Heroes can position themselves such that only 2 enemies can ever attack at a time (a 2-wide corridor, for example).

Q: During the same movement phase, if a player already placed a new tile with a facedown token, can other players enter that room?
A: Yes, the room cannot be scavenged though.

Important Rule:
Exploration tokens aren't flipped until after all models activate.

6. Scavenge:

Q: Page 12 of the rules states that "...you may only Scavenge one map tile per turn" Let's say that two heroes are on two different map tiles each with no face down exploration tokens. The hero with the highest initiative successfully scavenges one of the tiles. The other hero therefore cannot do any scavenging as no more scavenging is allowed until the next game turn, is that correct?
A: No, "You", as in "you the player of a character" can only scavenge once (successful or not).
Everyone can scavenge in a turn, as long as they're standing in a room that hasn't been scavenged (or there's a card that alters the number of times a room can be scavenged).

Q: Sorry but need to have this clarified.
Four heros on a tile and no unexplored tokens.
First hero scavenges and fails.
Second hero scavenges and is successful.
Third hero... can they scavenge?
A: Each map tile can only be scavenged once. When the second hero successfully scavenged the map tile, you would put a scavenge token on the map tile. It can no longer be scavenged by any hero (unless of course there is an encounter card on that tile that states that the tile can be scavenged multiple times, like Flooded Passage).

Q: A questions came up in our games, can you scavenge the entry tile?
A: Rules (p.12): Any Map Tile may be Scavenged, whether it is a Room, or Passage, or even the Mine Entrance.

Q: Can you scavenge in the other world even though there aren't world-specific scavenge cards?
A: Yes, you most definitely may scavenge! The scavenge cards are all generic.

Q:
One thing about Scavenge that we're still trying to figure out. On page 12 of the rules it says, "A Hero may not Scavenge a Map Tile with an unrevealed Exploration Token on it and you may only Scavenge
one Map Tile per turn."
Does the latter part of that sentence mean that on a given Game Turn, if one player has successfully scavenged during his activation, that therefore other players on that same Game Turn cannot therefore scavenge?
A: If you're on the half-space between two un-scavenged tiles, this rule prevents one hero from scavenging both of them on the same turn since they're considered to be on both tiles. Otherwise, yes there can be multiple scavenge attempts by multiple heroes on the same turn, even on the same tile if one hero fails.

Errata: Scavenge cards that says "Lose 2 Sanity/Health" should actually say "Take 2 Sanity/Health damage".
That particular card was not intended to cause permanent sanity loss.
Use the rule of thumb that sanity loss (and health) isn't permanent unless specifically stated.

Q: Is it correct that the only 2 things you can do while on a nex tile without enemies is either Scavenge or look through the door? Nothing else to do?
Meaning that if I'm a little behind in movement and the tile has been scavenged, I can't do anything?
A: Just a clarification: "There's nothing to do" is different from "not allowed to do anything."
Meaning that you still get your full Activation. There's no rule that specifically prevents you from doing things outside of combat, provided the thing you're trying to do has some meaning or value when there's not a fight going on.
For most low-level characters there's nothing to do, especially in the first turn(s) if someone else already scavenged the starting tile. Later in the mission or campaign, this won't always be the case.
Healing items (including bandages and whiskey) can be used outside of fights if anyone's at less than full health or sanity.
Specimen Jars can be filled outside of fights if you skip your movement.
Trading items between characters can actually be done at greater ranges outside of combat than in a fight.
Preachers will often have useful plays outside of / between fights, and with the right Sermons may actually rake in a fair amount of XP during slower moments.
Some characters may have level-up abilities that are relevant outside of battle. Etc.
But, yeah, unless you have some item or ability, there's nothing to do outside of fights/exploration/encounters/scavenge, and sometimes the turns will go by really fast as a result.

Q: When scavenging, do the effects/XP on the card apply to all players, or just the scavenging player, ie do all players get to draw a gear if the card indicated gear was found?
A: Effects only apply to the Hero that drew the card.

7. Hold back the Darkness / Darkness Cards / Growing Dread Cards:

Q: If the Darkness counter moves over a Growing Dread space after the objective has been reached and all Growing Dread cards have been revealed, does another one get revealed?
A: Yes. You draw and flip it immediately.

Q: If a Growing Dread card makes me draw a Darkness card and it turns out to be an ambush. Is this battle conducted prior to the final battle, or will the creatures be added to the final battle?
A1: Growing Dread cards are part of the final encounter (usually), but obviously their effects must be determined before the Fight can start. So, enemies revealed due to a Growing Dread card are additional enemies for the final fight, not a separate fight.
A2: They are just added to the battle immediately (with +2 initiative) and the round starts over, if the card was not drawn at the start of round.(.....)revealed all Growing Dread cards and all cards that came with them (like the Darkness card), then added the final encounter and started a big fight with everything combined at the same time.

Q: When you reach the final clue, with the final encounter, do you continue to roll for the lantern? Pick the darkness and growing cards?
A: You roll for the lantern at the beginning of every single turn, regardless of in combat or not, end phase or not.
If you get darkness or dread cards, they are resolved immediately upon draw (unless canceled by an ability or the entire posse spending a grit (for dread)).

Q: If the player holding the lantern gets knocked out during an ongoing fight, would I be correct in saying the Holding back the Darkness checks automatically fails as there is no one to man the lantern?
A: The player with the lantern'd hero continues to check. Technically it's the lantern holding the darkness back, not the hero holding it, which is why you can't Grit the roll.

Q: What happens to Growing Dread cards triggered by the Darkness chart AFTER the final encounter is triggered? Do they immediately activate?
A: The Final fight operates as every other fight. There are still turns. You continue to roll to Hold Back the Darkness, and add Darkness and Growing Dread cards as needed. Obviously, since it is the final fight, Growing Dread cards get revealed immediately like Darkness cards.

Q: Do you still roll during combat to hold back the darkness? Or is combat considered 1 big turn?
A: Yes. It isn't one big turn. It will sometimes cause you to be ambushed while you are in the middle of an ongoing combat. Some combats can last a long time and this does have an effect on the difficulty of the game.

Q: "Flood of Bats" reads...."Each Hero takes 2 Horror Hits,gains 10XP, and must then pass a Strength 4+ Test or lose 1 Dark Stone."
My question is if the Horror Hits are not blocked, how much damage do they do each? 1 or D6 damage?
A: Hits only do 1 damage unless its specified otherwise.
As its not specified here, its only 1 sanity damage per uncanceled horror hit

8. Encounter cards:

Q: I'm reading through the rules for the first time and I have a question on the Encounter "Prospector" card that is exampled in the rules. Cunning is the first test and if successful I imagine one goes on to the "then" part and someone tests Luck. But if someone fails the first Cunning test and the text says the Prospector goes crazy and gets shot do you still to the "then" part of the card? It seems very out of context if the Prospector is dead.
A: Yes, both happen.
You can think of it this way ... if he was shot dead in the first part, for the second part you either:
a) Find Loot on his dead body.
b) his body erupts into tentacles when he dies.

Q: My question is about the Mine Encounter card "A Crack in Space," and whether it remains in play.
The wording that heroes ending their turn in the tile encounter the event again implies it remains in play, but the card lacks the usual banner indicating it would.
Does encountering the Crack at end of turn only happen the turn it is drawn, or is it missing the Remains in Play banner? I feel this is ambiguous and can't decide which makes more sense.
A: Just to clear this up, we got this card the other night while playtesting. I asked Designer Jason Hill about it and he confirmed that it should say "Remains in Play" on it.

Q: The "Shafts of Light" encounter card: I really don't understand the text under the "Spirit 5+" skill check for all players. "For every 5+ a Hero rolls, they may recover a Grit or cancel a Darkness card on the roll of 4, 5, or 6 (or a Growing Dread card on the roll of 5 or 6)."
A: Each Hero rolls a number of dice equal to their Spirit skill. Every 5+ a Hero rolls, they may recover a Grit or cancel a Darkness/Growing Dread card. Some Darkness cards are "Remains in Play", and Growing Dread cards remain face-down until revealed at the final encounter.

Q: "The next Encounter token automatically has a clue". If the token already has a clue, does this give you an additional clue?
A: No, it just means if there is no clue mark on the next Exploration token, then pretend there is one. If there's already a clue mark, then you're covered. It's just there to speed things along, guaranteeing a quicker resolution.

9. Enemies:

Q: The Night Terrors have the Terror (2).
Do you get the Horror hits in general or do you get the hits for each model there, so 4 hits for 2 Night terrors on the tile?
A: They all stack. This is mentioned in the last paragraph under "Fear, Terror, and Unspeakable Terror" on page 23 of the rulebook.

Q: Setting up monsters for a non-Ambush is covered on p. 22 of the rules. If there are so many monsters that the swarm actually reaches the heroes, the rules say to "skip over" a space that is occupied.
This is kind of a rules-lawyerish question, but what exactly does "skip over" mean?
A: Follow the checkerboard pattern for the entire length of the map tile. Ignore/skip over any spaces where you should place an enemy but there is a Hero in that space and continue the checkerboard. Once the first pass/checkerboard pattern is complete, return to the farthest portion of the tile and 'fill in' the remaining spaces with enemies, working from farthest away square to closest (essentially, a second checkerboard pattern with the alternate spaces)

Q: Nonstandard monster XP: Nonstandard monsters are listed as "X +5 each". The rules state something like "X per hit (must do damage) plus five per wound."
If I hit slasher with two elite abilities four times
I get 120 (30x4) exp?
And when I hit it once for all 4 I get just 45 exp?
A: Yes. If it took you four attacks to kill him, you would get a lot more XP. HOWEVER, chances are VERY good that you're going to get mauled since characters typically only get 1-3 attacks per round, and Slashers are terrible, awful creatures, especially if they get some of the terrible elite abilities like +1 combat or +2 damage or 'spiked shell' that does 3 free combat hits if you fail an escape roll. Plus two horror hits per round to any adjacent heroes (and an elite ability that turns that into 'any hero on this map tile').
The longer a Slasher is out, the more likely he's going to eat your face; also, typically, you're seeing 2-3 Slashers out at a time, so it's balls-out killin' time. Yeah, I'm more than willing to sacrifice some XP to not die.

Q: Is there a hard-and-fast rule for what order the damage from each Hit applies to the monster in, if you roll them all at once against a single large target?
I ask because you get XP for each Hit you do to large+ targets - in addition to the XP you get from Wound you do - and if I'm going to kill the Monster with a single attack I can get more XP if the lowest damage rolls apply first, because I will get more Hits in over the total damage.
For instance, a Slasher has 4 defense and 6 HP - he gives you +15XP for each Hit that does damage, and +5XP per damage. Suppose I'm a Rancher with +2 Damage and I roll 6 Hits against him. Then suppose I roll all of those damage dice at once and get the following: 4 4 5 5 3 3. This translates to 6 6 7 7 5 5 (cause of the +2 damage). There are now 2 possible outcomes, XP-wise:
1) If the largest damage rolls apply first, the Slasher will die after both 7s (7-4 + 7-4 = 3 + 3 = 6), dealing 6 Damage over 2 Hits netting me 6x5XP + 2x15XP = 30XP + 30XP = 60XP.
2) If the lowest apply first, I can get both 5s and both 6s in there before it goes down (5-4 + 5-4 + 6-4 + 6-4 = 1 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 6). This does 6 Damage over 4 Hits, netting me 6x5XP + 4x15XP = 30XP + 60XP = 90XP.
Is there a correct answer here or is it up to the attacker?
A: As far as I know, there is no hard and fast rule on which order you apply the damage. I think in the few times this has come up, I just randomized which hit came first.

Q: Bigger enemies, such as Night Terrors, give extra XP just for wounding them. If the Night Terror has 1 HP remaining, and I deal 3 wounds to it from 1 hit, How much XP would I get? Do I get 5 XP for each 'overkill' wound? Do I get an ADDITIONAL 10 XP for also killing it, in addition to the 10 XP I'd get for hitting it?
A: With large enemies, you don't get XP for 'overkill' wounds or for dealing the killing blow (except bounties). You would get 10 XP for wounding it and 5 for the one wound you do to it. The reason for that is that it doesn't matter how strong your hit was, the enemy only has one wound, so you only do one wound of damage to it.

Q: When determining XP reward for hitting a large monster do overkill wounds count?
For example:
Slashers provide '15 + 5 each' XP and have 6 wounds.
If the first hit deals 4 wounds the XP award would be 15 + 4x5 = 35 and the slasher has 2 wounds left.
Then a second hit deals 6 wounds (thanks to a critical and weapon damage bonus). Since the slasher dies after only 2 wounds, would the XP award be 15 + 2x5 = 25 or 15 + 6x5 = 45?
A: As soon as a monster is reduced to 0 health, it ceases to exist and is removed from the board. You can only get XP for wounds that contributed to the monster's demise, not for overkill.
So if a Slasher has only 2 wounds left and you deal 6 damage, the Slasher is killed after 2, and removed from the board. Those extra 4 wounds are extraneous - they don't wound anything. If they don't wound anything, they don't provide XP. So you would get 15 + 2x5 = 25 XP.

Q: The bigger monsters that has like 10xp+5xp. Do we get 10xp every time we hit, even though we do no damage? Making it technically possible to "grind xp" with bad roll.
A: only hits that wound will get any XP.

10. Enemy Movement:

Q: When a melee monster is already engaged with you, will it ever move around to allow other non large monsters to engage you? I know that when they initially target you they run as far around you as possible to make room for other monsters, but on following rounds, do they make way for other monsters to also get in?
A: Rulebook p26. That Enemy is said to be targeting the selected Hero to Attack and is moved as far as it can be to a space adjacent to that Hero. This will usually have the Enemy move to the far side of the Hero, getting in behind them and making way for other Enemies.
The monsters dance around you rather than stand and slug it out.
Only Monsters with both Ranged and Close Combat attacks don't move if adjacent to a Hero [p29 Such Monsters don't move to make Melee Attacks.]

EDIT (see post by Derek VDG (dvang): A is incorrect. Monsters do not "dance around". Once they have a target, they remain stationary and attack that target. They do not move unless they need to acquire a new target. The rule quoted only pertains to an enemy acquiring a target when it doesn't have one. Thus, the only enemies that will 'dance around' are enemies that change targets each turn, like the Harbinger and Hellbats.

Q: Do monsters in the other world go back through the portal and follow the adventurers back into the mine tiles?
A: Yes

Q: Does anyone else seem to have an issue with, for example, Void Spiders preventing other enemies from attacking by clogging the passages that lead to the heroes? Am I missing something about monsters being able to move through other monsters?
A1: They do tend to do that a bit. Ambushes help, but savvy players will try to force the bottlenecks.
Large monsters get around that, by pushing things out of the way.
A2: The monsters closest to the heroes will move first as they should have the higher initiative, and, when they move it will be to the farthest possible space adjacent to their target hero thus they should be opening up spaces for other monsters to move in.
otherwise they will have to wait until a path to the heroes opens up.

11. Enemy Attack:

Q: Do minions with range try to cap themselves so they have max range, or do they stay still?
A:
Enemies that have ranged attacks who are in range of a target don't move.

Q: One of the Harbinger's special attacks is Sweeping Strike: Every adjacent Hero takes D6 combat hits. If you take damage from these hits do you take 1 damage per hit or 4 damage per hit?
I ask because sometimes a Hit is considered to be 1 damage, such as D6 hits from falling rubble. I assumed because they were 'Combat Hits' they would do 4 damage, but it is a huge difference in damage depending on interpretation.
A: If you take "Combat Hits" from a monster, then each Hit does damage equal to the monster's Combat Hit Damage. If it says "4" on the Harbinger's sheet, then 4 it is for each Hit.

Q: Ambush: enemies placement to heroes even if one of them is 2 tiles away?
A: There is no mention of any limitation on which tile the monsters can be placed. Regardless of where your heroes are, if they have a valid space beside them, they are able to be randomly selected. Besides, when exploring a new tile and get an ambush, they don't only ambush the hero on the puzzle piece connection of the tile that generated the ambush. They ambush everyone, although it has to be on the same world.

Q: The rules say that after an enemy attacks the hero can roll all hits together. For example, lets say 3 spiders attack one hero (they get 2 attacks each) and end up collectively getting 4 hits. Do you get to roll all 4 defense dice together, or do you have to defend each spiders 2 attacks separately.
A1: You can choose the order to roll pretty much everything in this game. The order you do things has a huge impact on what you can and cannot grit to reroll.
Rolling all defense at once is a good idea because you can grit all four rolls with one grit token. If you roll separately, in order to grit all four rolls, you'd need two grit tokens.
You can roll all of your hits at once, or you can roll one at a time. You don't have to assign your hits until after they're rolled, so you don't generally need to worry about rolling separately for these. Being able to grit the whole shebang is nice.
You can roll all of your damage at once, or you can roll one at a time. However, you do assign your hits BEFORE rolling damage, so you can waste hits/wounds no matter which way you choose to roll damage.
You can roll all of your defense at once, or you can roll one at a time. You can roll all of your willpower at once, or you can roll one at a time. This is the only time that IMO it never makes sense to roll separately, ever.
A2: You can roll stuff all at once, but there are a lot of times where you need to differentiate which roll goes with which attack from which monster/source in order to take advantage of items/abilities.
Different colors of dice is the normal method for this.

Q: 6 Stranglers and 2 Night Terrors. My first move was blowing up 4 of the Stranglers with Dynamite, then after the heroes activated, the monsters activated.
My question is, 2 of the Stranglers targeted two DIFFERENT random heroes within reach. Would the Night Terrors then target a DIFFERENT random hero also? Or could they have targeted one of the heroes already targeted by a Strangler?
A: Enemies spread out evenly among the heroes by enemy type. In your example, all four of the Heroes would be viable targets, not just those heroes without enemies assigned to them. ( p. 26 in the rulebook)

12. Enemy Ambush:

Q: During an ambush from a darkness card, what happens when one player is in the other world and one is in the mines?
A: Pg. 31 "Similarly, when an Ambush Attack occurs, the Enemies will only be placed adjacent to and target Heroes that are in the same World as the Ambush. If the Ambush was caused by something that is not located in one World or another (such as a Darkness card), select a Random Hero and the Ambush takes place in the same World as that Hero."

Q: So if new monsters appear in mid fight, like the chest portal mutation I think, that immediately would end the current turn and start a new turn?
A: Everything that adds creatures to a Fight once it has started happens in the beginning of turn phase as far as I know and monsters appearing before or after the activation phase don't end the turn.
Chest Portal is based on Hold back the Darkness rolls, so happens before activation.
You can't get Monsters by exploring [Scavenging is the main way for the them to appear mid activation phase] since you can't do that during a Fight. (by Adam Canning (dahak))

EDIT (see post by Derek VDG (dvang)): A is incorrect. The correct answer is in the rulebook, pg 23. Yes, if enemies are placed during the initiative order (for whatever reason), the current turn immediately ends and a new turn begins.
Enemies Appearing Mid-Turn
On rare occasion, a new group of Enemies will Ambush Attack during the Models Activate in Initiative Order portion of the turn, usually by way of a Hero Scavenging and finding a Darkness card. When this happens, the Enemies are placed and the current turn immediately ends! A brand new turn begins, starting the Fight. Note that this is not the case if Enemies Ambush during the Hold Back the Darkness phase, as the Activating of models has not yet started.

13. Hero Action/ Movement

Q: Does a hero have to move before they do anything else during their activation?
A: The only real hard and fast rule about timing on your Activation is that you can't do an Action before you move - so no revealing tiles, scavenging, attacking, any anything else that the Mission says counts as an Action. You gotta move before you take your Action.
In a Fight, you are only allow to equip/unequip stuff at the very beginning of the whole Turn (before Hold Back the Darkness) so obviously you can't move before that.
Anything else is fair game - trading stuff, using bandages, swapping gear around NOT in a Fight, using most Sermons (the ones that don't take your move in order to preach), etc. In fact, most of these can be done on anyone's Activation - not just yours.

Q: I think that since the options of what you can do before your activation are rather limited, that all such things are to be considered an action for example a gunslinger using quickdraw, casting sermons, using a once per turn or once per adventure ability etc. some clarity would indeed be welcome.
A: There is actually quite a lot you can do while its not your activation. You can use basically any item, gear, or ability that doesn't involve your normal activation. You can bandage, trade, Sermon, heal, Quickdraw, Badge, Swamp Salve, Bandido-Grit-For-Dynamite, etc.
If all of these things are considered "Actions" for the purposes of not getting grit at the end of a Fight, then um, that's lame. And it discourages helping other people if you think the Fight is going to be over before you get to go.

14. Hero Ranged Attacks:

Q: Definition of Attack?
A: the game considers an "attack" to be a creature or hero striking/shooting with their weapons at a target
ie a hero shooting with his pistol or a monster clawing at a hero.
Attack= where for a single weapon (or 2 together if dual-wielding) you roll the dice to hit, check defense, check armor up until where you assign the final remaining damage to the target (= this is an "attack" which each hero and monster can do once each turn (or twice if it has a free attack ability))

Q: I don't have to say what i shoot before rolling the hit / miss dice, nor assign all my hits before rolling the wounds right?
A: Correct - you roll your shots/combat dice first, then assign hits to targets. You can assign your hits singly or in groups, and you don't have to assign all of them before you start rolling. You could roll your dice one at a time until you kill something, then repeat the process again with a new target, but grit is less effective because you can only grit 1 'set' of hit rolls at a time.

15. Hero Melee Attacks:

Q: Definition of Attack?
A: the game considers an "attack" to be a creature or hero striking/shooting with their weapons at a target ie a hero shooting with his pistol or a monster clawing at a hero.
Attack= where for a single weapon (or 2 together if dual-wielding) you roll the dice to hit, check defense, check armor up until where you assign the final remaining damage to the target (= this is an "attack" which each hero and monster can do once each turn (or twice if it has a free attack ability))

Q: If a hero has no weapon, how much damage does a punch do per hit?
A: For melee combat, your 'Combat' value is the number of dice you roll. For most characters, that's 2. Items can give you more dice. For example, the Holy Book gives +1 Combat, so with no additional gear, the Preacher should roll 3 to-hit dice in melee combat.
Damage is 1d6 per hit, same as most basic weapons.

Q: Duel wielding one handed melee weapons. We assumed its allowed, since it makes sense. Just add the bonuses together? For example, two hunting knives is +2 combat?
A: Yes.

Q:
The rule book talks about dual wielding ranged weapons and the draw back with doing so. It does not talk about dual wielding melee weapons.
Does this mean:
A.) You can not dual wield melee weapons
Or
B.) You can and there is no negative side like there is with ranged.
A: B.)!

Q: Does dual wielding allow for extra attacks, or just stack any potential bonuses?
A: A melee attack uses the Hero's Combat value, plain and simple. "dual-wielding" melee weapons simply modifies the base Combat value of the Hero. You do not use the Hero's combat dice twice.
For example, dual-wielding indian hatchets (+1 damage, 1h) assuming a Combat stat of 2, would allow the Hero to roll 2 dice for a melee attack with +2 damage to each die.
'Dual-wielding' an Indian hatchet and a pickaxe (+1 Combat, 1h) Would provide 3 dice at +1 damage for each die.

16. Hero Free Attacks:

Facts? & Opinions concerning Free Attacks:

- Free Attacks don't get boosts from other items.

- A Free Attack is still a Melee or Ranged Attack, but it does not use your Hero's Base Combat value (nor any stat boosts to your Combat value), and does not gain the bonuses from other Items/weapons you are carrying.
It does still generally gain any bonuses you have based on your abilities (such as +1 Damage vs Undead, etc).

- My point is that all +Shot buffs are, by definition, upgrades to a specific gun - just like a socket upgrade. The Marshall's Badge can give one of your guns +Shots, and so therefore it can give said gun a temporary upgrade. This is important because Free Attacks are cool with buffs their receive from their source item (like buffs generated by socket upgrades). +Shots gives your gun a buff, ergo you could argue that the Badge can affect the Hold-Out Pistol.
To put this another way, the Badge - on your next activation - replaces a gun card of your choice with a card that has the exact same wording, but with 2 extra shots. The shots are now part of the Gun - so Free Attacks should be able to take advantage of them.
I'm not saying this is the intention, but it's clearly a logical and valid interpretation. The whole "what Free Attacks work with" thing is far from comprehensive and needs a robust ruling.

- The intent here is that Free Attacks are a slightly different animal to a normal Attack. A Free Attack is still a Melee or Ranged Attack, but it does not use your Hero's Base Combat value (nor any stat boosts to your Combat value), and does not gain the bonuses from other Items/weapons you are carrying. It does still generally gain any bonuses you have based on your abilities (such as +1 Damage vs Undead, etc). (by Jason Hill, Designer)

17. Dynamite:

Q: If I am targeted (and thus adjacent) to a monster, can I throw Dynamite to a group beyond it?
A: Yes, From pg 25 of the rulebook:
"A Hero may throw a Dynamite Token as a Ranged Attack. The Range of the throw is up to the Hero’s Strength +3 and it may be thrown at ANY space in Range as long as the Hero has Line of Sight to that space (even if Enemies are adjacent to the Hero)."

Q: If you miss the to hit roll for dynamite does it start its bounce from the target spot or the thrown from spot?
A: Target spot

Q:
Does a hero Receive XP for each enemy killed with dynamite?
A: Dynamite follow normal XP rules. Yes, you get XP when you kill critters with dynamite.

Q: There are a number of Items and Abilities that can add damage to a Hit. The "Aura of Wrath" at the Church, the Lawman's "Frontier Justice" and "Fair Warning" powers, etc. Do these work / stack with Dynamite?
A1: Wounds and hits have an entirely different meaning in Flying Frog games; the two are often considered synonyms because 1 hit often causes 1 wound, but they are not the same thing. So a power limited to hits wouldn't apply to dynamite, which only does wounds ignoring defense (SoBS rulebook p25 wrote:
"Throwing Dynamite: When the Dynamite explodes, it does D6 Wounds, ignoring Defense, to each model in the same and adjacent spaces to it. Roll the Damage for each model separately."). In general:
1 hit = 1d6 damage
Wounds = damage - defense
So if dynamite inflicts wounds, and not damage, an ability that adds damage would not help your dynamite throws!
A2: I think the misleading part is FFP's wording: "it does D6 Wounds, ignoring Defense" as Wounds ignoring Defense make no sense - Damage becomes Wounds after Defense is applied. So I think it should read: it does D6 Damage, ignoring Defense... and then damage boosting abilities should apply

Q: Does Tough protect monsters from dynamite?
A: Tough does not prevent dynamite from ignoring Defense. dynamite and critical hits are two DIFFERENT ways to ignore defense. Tough monsters are immune to criticals, but this doesn't mean they are immune to everything that ignores defenses.

18. Sermons:

Q: I need to get a clarification. During a Hero Activation they may make either a ranged attack or a melee attack during the fight sequence. Is a Sermon considered to be an attack or could I use a judgment and/or cure and then melee attack. I'm figuring that I can and a Sermon is not considered an attack since they may be performed at any time during the turn unless it's one of the special give up your move ones.
A: Casting sermons does not prevent you from attacking, you can do both each turn. And a Sermon can be used anytime during a turn (including before the Preacher's activation), as long as you follow any extra stipulations printed on the card (like giving up your move, etc.)

Q: Do judgement sermons that do damage count as attacks in that they get any damage bonuses from other skills or items?
A: sermons are not considered attacks.
attacks are either ranged or melee as specified in the rules.
in the rules of the sermons, one paragraph mentions that the preacher that can cast sermons and attack as well is a powerful combination, a clear indication that they are not the same type of activity and that you can do both each turn. neither is there a mention that sermons replace your normal attack.
items that enhance attacks do not affect sermons, abilities that specifically affect attacks cant either.

Q: Cleansing fire. Hellfire marker do 1 hit with with 2d6 damage. This means that it hits always and does 2d6 damage but the monster do get their defence?
A: Yes, you would roll 2D6 damage on each monster and apply their Defense. You always apply an enemy's Defense value unless otherwise stated. For instance, the Judgment "Smite" does D6 damage that ignores the monster's Defense.

19. Faith:

Q: In the middle of a game with the nun - we are seeing ways to spend faith, but not how to gain additional faith tokens? Is it possible?
A1: I have seen I believe two in the trees and rolling a 12 when you level if you do not have a mutation or injury.
A2: You refresh your supply of faith tokens at the start of the turn (see reference card). You can not get additional faith tokens other than through levelling up and selecting abilities that grant faith tokens.

20. Defense / Armor:

Q: "Once per turn, you may reroll a failed defense roll."
Does this mean a single die, or every die used in a defense roll?
A: A single die.

Q: Does armor stack?
A1: No, you only use your best armor roll, any others you have are not used.
A2: No, you just use your best one if you have multiple sources that give you an armor roll.

Q:
After a number of hits go through due to failed Defense rolls, they either damage the Hero equal to the Damage value of the Monster, or are stopped (1 damage at a time) by Armor or Spirit Armor, correct?
A: Correct, you roll one die per point of damage that gets through.

Q:
If you take wounds with no defense, does armor still apply?
Similarly, if you take sanity damage with no willpower, does spirit armor still apply?
And if the armor/spirit armor applies, does this work for campsite/town events? Or just encounters/events in the mines & other worlds?
Discussion/ Opinion only: The number of Armor dice you roll is always equal to the number of Wounds you failed to defend, _not_ the number of Hits taken. The presence of "Wounds" in the text doesn't, in my opinion, particularly imply that Armor is out of the picture, because inflicted Wounds are what triggers Armor rolls in the first place.

EDIT (see post by Derek VDG (dvang)): Corect. Armor/Spirit Armor is applied for ALL Wounds/Sanity damage taken. One die per Wound/Sanity damage the Hero is about to suffer, regardless if this damage is received in combat or not.

21. K O'd Hero:

Q: If a character is KOed (then his figure is removed and so on...), can he be still targeted by, for instance, area effect, and then suffer more damage of a different type, e.g.: KO because of Sanity, rocks fall where he lies, does he suffer physical damage? Can he still be "forced" to roll (and automatically fail) tests? I assume that the answers are both NO, because once he's KO he's sort of "out of play".
A: If a Hero ever has Wounds equal to their Health or Sanity Damage equal to their Sanity, they are immediately KO’d (Knocked Out), and no more Wounds/Sanity Damage will be applied (you cannot fall below 0).
I can see how that last part about falling below 0 might make this a bit ambiguous, but if you play the rules strictly as written it does say no more Wounds/Sanity dmaage will be applied after you are KO'd.

Q: Can a knocked out hero next to the Saloon Girl recover one health and stand up at the end of the turn? What about by the Preacher's spells? Bandages? I ask because I saw it mentioned in another post that knocked out heroes can't be healed.
A1: KO'd heroes must recover from being KO'd before being healed.
A2: Ko'd heroes are removed from the map and replaced by a marker. Rulebook p15.
IIRC there are abilities that enable a KO'd hero to recover (The Outlaws Redemption for one). But they specify they do that.
General healing does not. If for no other reason than Healing requires the recipients figure to be adjacent or on the same map tile and KO'd characters figures are off the board.
Autohealing abilities also IIRC all say they don't help. (by Adam Canning (dahak))

Q: Whether or not an Injury/Madness was rolled when using a Revive Token after taking enough Wounds or Sanity Damage to get KO'd.?
A: No, you do not roll on the injury chart when you use a revive token.
page 3: "...allowing a Hero that was just KO'd to get back up without long-lasting effects."

Q:
What happens when you are reduced to zero sanity or health while in town? How do you recover?
Opinion/ Discussion only: There are events, including events at the camp, that will give wounds/sanity damage. You can use bandages or whiskey or tonics (etc) to get rid of those. If you are reduced to 0, the event will specifically say if the Hero is killed or not. Otherwise, you are simply knocked out and will not be able to participate in the next adventure until you use some means (bandages/whiskey/tonic/etc) to heal that damage. If you aren't fully healed when you start the next adventure, you start the next adventure with those wounds/sanity damage.

Q: If you are KO'ed you can recover only when there are no enemies around, but about revive tokens? Do you have to wait until the end of a fight to use a revive token, or can you do it while the fight is on?
A: You can use them in fights.

22. Flee the mines:

Q: The rulebook is very vague on this situation stating only that they automatically fail the mission and suffer the mission failing parameters. What about any gold/XP/gear/etc. found? Do they get to keep it? Lose it? Half? This seems a really easy way to grind for XP/gold if there is no other penalties for fleeing.
Also can you flee at any time? Surrounded by monsters? Obviously should have to make the escape roll to be able to move away but can you really just run from a huge fight without penalty?
A = no answer, only opinions...

EDIT (see post by Derek VDG (dvang)): The rulebook has no penalties for fleeing other than failing the mission. All XP, gold, and items gained up until that point are retained, as nothing says they are discarded. Per the rulebook (pg 13), the Posse may choose to Flee at the start of any turn as long as all non-KO'd Heroes agree, and as long as nothing else in the turn has happened. No escape rolls for monsters need to be made, nor anything else needs to occur for the Posse to Flee. The only penalty for fleeing in the rules is an automatic failure of the mission.

23. Tokens:

Q: I know that Loot and Scavenger are just pools of cards that you draw from and replace, and that every other deck of cards is supposed to be discarded and reshuffled when empty (including otherworld threats, which is kind of a short deck, for example). How about the exploration tokens? I kind of like discarding them so that I feel I'm definitely going to hit the clues eventually. Is that how you're doing it?
A: Yes. That is how the exploration tokens work. Tokens used get discarded and do not get redrawn.

Q: When can tokens be used?
A1: You can use them pretty much whenever. Your activation, their activation, after a monsters rolls its Hits on you, before you Hold Back The Darkness, etc. The only 2 real rules are:
a) you have to wait for a break in the mechanics (between rolls, between phases, between things happening) and
b) you can't heal yourself after finding out how much damage you're going to be taking, before taking that damage. You can heal right before you take damage, as long as you don't already know how much damage you're about to take. For the Hero, that means anytime before you start rolling defense, or before you're about to make a test that damages you. You can wait till afterward to heal of course, but if you might be dead by then its probably wise to heal ahead of time. That how it works in every other FFP game.
A2: The only restrictions on the timing for using a Side Bag Token (other than those noted above about general timing) are restrictions that apply to the effects of that type of Token. For instance, with any Healing effect, such as Bandages, it can be done any time except between Defense/Willpower rolls being made and actually having the Damage applied (you may Heal after you see that you have been Hit, but once you make your Defense rolls, you must accept any Damage that results).

Q: My hero gets mobbed by spiders and takes 5 hits after defense. The hits do 2 damage each, but he only has 3 Health left. Fortunately, he has a Revive Token.
What happens?
Option A: He takes 10 damage, which would KO him. He plays the Revive Token. He is now at full health with zero wounds. (This is how I am playing.)
Option B: He takes 3 damage, which would KO him. He plays the Revive Token, and then takes the remaining 7 damage. He now has 7 wounds.
Option C: Since the hits do 2 damage each, he takes 2 hits, which would KO him. He plays the Revive Token, and then takes the remaining 3 hits. He now has 6 wounds.
A = general opinion here only: "Option A. Though for revive, i agree that all monsters that attack during the same initiative would all be used up in the attack that KO's the hero, so you revive with no remaining damage unless there are other monsters with lower initiative that havent attacked yet."

Q: When can the revive token be used? Can I use it after a monster kills me but before my activation so I can be revived and then attack?
A1: The revive token is used immediately upon the first hero death. There is no choice in the matter. It's instant. The hero goes down and immediately gets back up, heals back up to full health/sanity, and gains a grit (so if you had grit already, you get more grit; if you're at max grit, you get none).
A2: A revive token is used immediately and automatically when a Hero is Knocked Out. Instead of being Knocked Out, the Hero is reset to full health/sanity and recovers 1 Grit.

Q: So I've been looking through my buddy's copy of Swamps of Death (I've got City) and I ran across the boat token. Is there a rule for this or explanation of what exactly its for. I've not seen any rules whatsoever about it unless someone has found what i've stumbled past thus far.
A: If you can't find any rules for it, that's not unusual with FFP. In almost all their games they throw in extra tokens like that to inspire fan made rules or scenarios or for use with expansions.

Q: Bandages, whiskey, etc.: when can you use them?
It says that a character can only search and move when activated. It says that you can use bandages, etc. during a fight and when there are no enemies on the board. It does not clearly state at what point of the
turn you can use these things. Anyone know when you can use them? Is it at the turns end? I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere in the rules.
A: You can use them pretty much whenever. Your activation, their activation, after a monsters rolls its Hits on you, before you Hold Back The Darkness, etc. The only 2 real rules are:
a) you have to wait for a break in the mechanics (between rolls, between phases, between things happening) and
b) you can't heal yourself after finding out how much damage you're going to be taking, before taking that damage. (by Adam Canning (dahak))

24. Items:

Q: When dicide to wear which item/ switching items?
A1: you set what weapons a character has in hand and what you are wearing in each cloathing slot at the beginning of a turn. (by Adam Canning (dahak))
A2: Swapping Clothing that you are wearing should also be done at the start of the Turn, just like choosing the Weapons to have in your Hands. You may carry extra Clothing Items that you are not currently wearing (as long as you have the carrying capacity of Weight for it). (by Jason Hill Designer)

Q:
Concerning Trading items (p10 wrote:
"Sometimes a Hero will find an Item that they either don’t want or can’t use because of restrictions or the carrying limit. Heroes may give, trade, or even sell Items to other Heroes in the Posse (the Gold sell value of most Items is listed in the lower right corner). A Hero may transfer an Item (or Side Bag Token) to another Hero adjacent to them (or on the same Map Tile if there are no Enemies on the board). The only restriction is that the text or ability of an Item may not be used by two different Heroes in the same turn.")
A: Items to trade are Gear, Artifacts and Side Bag Tokens.

Q: When can you use non-weapon items (like bandages or whiskey)?
A: You can use them anytime as long as they do not interrupt damage being taken.
For example, you can use them:

* Just before an Enemy rolls to hit
* After an Enemy has rolled hits
* Before an Encounter/Darkness card roll

You CANNOT use them after a Hero has rolled their Defense/Willpower to save against hits, as damage is then immediately applied and the healing would be 'interrupting' the damage application.
Similarly, if an effect causes the disallowing of a Defense/WP save against a hit, any healing would need to be applied before hits are determined.

Q: Is Harrowfern Fungus a sidebag token?
A: They're sidebag tokens.
Rulebook Page 19 wrote:
A Side Bag Token can be identified by its parchment background and green title bar for the name of the Token.

Q: When you draw a gear/artifact/whatever card it makes sense that you then can choose to use/trade/sell it as you wish. However, when using character sheets you can write down the attributes of the item and keep track of it that way. Do you then shuffle the item card back into it's deck or keep it separate to prevent instances of drawing multiple items that are meant to be unique? What if you have multiple groups playing the game? Are some items meant to be sort of one per set until the character who owns it sells or retires or is the possibility of discovering multiple sets of the same item intended?
A = Opinion with sensible reasoning:
We write down the item's info, then discard the card. At the end of the adventure, and usually after the town visit, discarded cards are shuffled back into the appropriate decks.
That means multiple heroes can get the same items, but not in the same adventure. It doesn't mean multiple heroes keep the same items. Everyone in our posses has a focus and preferred type of weapon. If a weapon type used by another hero is found, it's passed to that hero. If anyone who could/would use it already has it, it gets sold.
We have 5 different posses. Keeping artifact or gear cards with each hero would be terrible because there would be quite a scarcity in items. I also don't want to have to spend time sorting each deck based on what the currently-being-played posse has already found.

Q: When can you use items to heal?
A: You can use them pretty much whenever. Your activation, their activation, after a monsters rolls its Hits on you, before you Hold Back The Darkness, etc. The only 2 real rules are:
b) you can't heal yourself after finding out how much damage you're going to be taking, before taking that damage.

Q: Rules state "at the start of every turn , each hero may decide what items they want to assign to their hands slots... " but then goes on to say " it is assumed that the hero can swap items into and out of his hand when there are no enemies on the boards" So.......
Do you get to switch items at the beginning of every turn, but only when there are no enemies on the board?
or at the start of every turn??
A: When there are enemies: you should make your choice at the beginning of the turn and can't change it later during the turn.
If there are no enemies: it's not necessary to make this choice at the beginning of the turn since you can easily "free" swap items during the turn if you want/need it.

Q: Lawman got a Vicious Ax and it gives +1 Initiative. Does he need to be wielding it to get the bonus, or does he get the bonus just for owning it?
A: Needs to be wielding.
Rulebook p18:
"At the start of every turn, each Hero may decide what Items they want to assign to their two Hand slots. Any other unassigned Items the Hero has that require one or two Hands to use, do not give the Hero any benefit from their card text." (by Adam Canning (dahak))

Q: The Pick Axe lets you gain 1 extra darkstone when you find some. Since finding darkstone happens AFTER the fight, do I have to be wielding it at the end of the fight?
A: For the Loot cards at the end of the Fight yes as far as I can tell you have to be wielding the Pickaxe in the last turn of the fight to get the bonus with the Loot cards.
Which isn't unreasonable since it is the monsters you are mining.
For Encounters or Scavenging then you could switch to it, since you are outside the fight before drawing the card. (by Adam Canning (dahak))

25. Personal Items:

Q: Is there a rule that prohibits trading (or even giving away) Personal Items?
A: You can't ever get rid of personal items. Like ever. I think you can unequip them (like if you want to wear a different hat), but that's about as far as it goes. Rulebook pg 18: "Personal Items may never be traded, lost, sold, or discarded in any way."

Q: Does draw a personal item when you start a character mean draw one randomly or does one get to choose?
A1: Draw is always being taking a card at random in this rules set. If you got to select it would say Choose, like it does for the other character generation items you get to select or Get if it was fixed. The only card decks you don't shuffle to draw from are Starting Gear [Which is fixed based on character and starting ability] and World where you place the Mines card face up and shuffle the rest.
Each Character gets one random personal item.
A2: Houserule: deal everyone two and then pick one. It's not a big difference, but it gives one more option in deciding how your character is going to play out.

26. Loot

Q: Do heroes draw Loot cards for Fights generated by Encounters, even if no Threat card is drawn?
A: Yes. From p. 27 of the rulebook:
This also includes each instance of Enemies that were added to the Fight by other means, such as a Darkness or Encounter card, or the Depth Event chart.

Q: Do you get Loot cards after a fights with monsters spawned from an encounter card? Or only for threat cards fights?
A: Yes, you get loot from enemies spawned by Encounters (one loot card per source). You get loot cards for every card that adds monsters to a fight. So you get a loot card for a fight spawned by an encounter or darkness card.

Q: If i get a thread card that make me fetch 2 lower thread cards, should i get 1, 2 or 3 loot after the fight?
A: If a threat card tells you to draw 2 low threats, you'd get 2 loot cards, one for each low threat card that added monsters. The maximum is 3. It includes all types of cards, per rules on page 27 (Quote: At the end of a Fight, every Hero is allowed to draw one Loot card for each Threat card that added Enemies to the Fight (to a max of 3 Loot Cards each).
This also includes each instance of Enemies that were added to the Fight by other means, such as a Darkness or Encounter card, or the Depth Event chart.
The Loot Deck has no discard pile and should be fully shuffled before the Heroes draw one or more cards from it. All of the Heroes draw from the Loot Deck at the same time so if a group of 4 Heroes get the max of 3 Loot cards each, that would use all 12 cards in the Loot Deck.).

Q: At the conclusion of the final encounter do the heroes still get a loot per monster card?
A: A final encounter fight is just like any fight so yes you get to draw loot at the end of it.

Q: What do you do with loot cards in a 5-6 player game when all 12 loot cards are drawn. We reshuffled the cards and drew the remaining 3 loot for the final player but I couldn't find a rule on it anywhere.
Opinions and/or house rules:
A1: only 1 set: You're doing it correctly. When the heroes collect more than 12 loot cards, you should hand out all twelve, collect them all back, shuffle, then hand out the remaining cards as needed.
A2: owning both sets: I will probably be playing this with five players quite a bit so I'm going to set up the Loot deck with four extra cards (one DS shard, two of the gold cards of mid-low and mid-high value and one Gear) just to cut down on the shuffling. This should keep the distribution similar with a slight tilt away from the biggest and smallest payouts.
A3: I saw a Jason Hill answer somewhere that said deal out all you can, when those have been discarded, deal out the rest to those still needing some.

Q: what if 5 or 6 players end a fight caused by 3 cards? There are only 12 Loot Cards, so everyone can't draw 3...?
Opinions and/or house rules I'd deal out two each and then shuffle and redraw for 6 players. For 5 I'd select two at random to get three and shuffle and redraw for the third card for each of the other three.

Q: Recover, Catch-your-breath, and Get Loot phases are part of the Fight?
A: They are in a section of rules called "Completing the Fight". Which also says that carrying them out ends the Fight and the current turn (so wear the Pickaxe in the last turn of the fight ^^)
Therefore those items happen as part of ending the Fight rather than after the Fight ends.

Q: The Loot cards received after every encounter, are we supouse to give one out to each player, and then read them. Making the like 8pile cards, kind of "Not random" when an encounter has two encounters in them. Or are we supouse to give one card, then mix em all and give a new one. Adding a more "randomness" to the game.
A: you hand out the according number of loot cards in one sweep.

27. Weight

Q: The rules state that you cannot carry more than 5+ your STR stat, but what happens if you do? Do you drop one? Is that pick up-able by another player? Can you trade it to a player? Does it disappear?
A: "A hero may transfer an item to another hero . . . on the same map tile if there are no enemies on the board (page 19)."
Any items not traded away are discarded until the Hero in question is at his weight limit.

28. Dark Stones

Q: Should Dark Stone tokens be transported in a character's side bag, counting against the 5-token limit ?
A: Darkstone are not side-bag items. Those are indicated by the lightgreen background with the band (although I will point out that there are some additional side-bag tokens not mentioned above, such as Swamp Fungus, etc).

Q: And are you limited at all in the number of Dark Stone tokens you can carry ?
A: There is no physical limit to the amount of Darkstone a Hero can carry, although again as Angelsenior mentioned, at the end of an adventure Heroes roll for Corruption hits due to the amount of Darkstone they are carrying, so excessive amounts on a single Hero (without a Tomb Chest) is inadvisable.

29. Item Upgrades

Q: I have a small question, does an upgrade to an item add something to its value? I don't think that it's describe somewhere in the books, but I guess that if you forge something in an item, normally if you sell it you will have more money than if you sell the untouched version of the item, no?
A: As far as I know, the upgrades are not really permanently-attached to the items. I believe you can change them around as you see fit.
Therefore, I'd imagine you would simply sell off any upgrades for half the price you paid for them, like other town items. (But: Blacksmith and Rancher upgrades are permanent additions to the item and can't be removed. Rulebook p19 for the Blacksmith)

Q: As far as the runes you can find from loot, does anyone know if you need to visit the Blacksmith to attach these? Or, can I just pay the darkstone mid-adventure to attach them?
A: I can find no argument against paying mid adventure to attach the Marks and Runes you find in the Gear deck. Just as you can attach the Crisp Rose or the Eagle Feather.

30. Sanity:

Q: So when i take damage from horror or something like that, do i take 1 or do i take their combat value in sanity damage?
A: You take 1 unless otherwise stated. Horror hits are completely separate from the monster's attacks (increase the damage of a monster do not increase its sanity damage)

31. Corruption:

Q: Does corruption carry over after reaching the 5 token limit? If you get 6 corruption, do you mutate and still have 1 corruption left? Or with 10 corruption at once --> 2 mutations?
A: As soon as you hit 5 corruption points, you mutate, then subtract those 5 points from your corruption. So if you got to exactly 5 corruption points, you'd mutate and have 0 corruption points left. If you went from 4 to 6 corruption points, you'd mutate, and have 1 corruption point left.

Q: My gunslinger found a soul parasite and I'd like to remove it (i roll too many 1).
it looks impossible to remove it, because it is not an injury or a mutation. maybe an exorcism?
A: The 12 result on the Doctor's event table has a 2 in 3 chance of removing it since it includes Parasites as well as Mutations and Injuries.

32. Leveling up

Q: Do you level up in between adventures or can you do it right away as soon as you have the XP to do so?
A: You can do it right away, but you have to wait until the beginning of the Next Turn.
Leveling mid-adventure fully heals you (Health and Sanity), gives you a Grit, AND gives you your other bonuses for leveling up.

Q: When leveling up a character, is the roll for + wounds/sanity in small txt permanent or just like catching your breath?
A: Stuff on the [Class] 2D6 Upgrade Bonus chart is permanent, Just like the stuff in the boxes on the [Class] Upgrade Chart.
IIRC Leveling up removes all Wound and Sanity Damage anyway, as well as one Grit.

33. Event/Hazard charts:

Q: How can one roll O-1 on the camp site hasard chart? Or the Town events?
A: There are injuries and madnesses (and mutations?) and possibly some events/items that give negatives to your rolls.

Q: On the Targa Depth Event chart, if you roll the Blizzard result twice, do you now take 2 damage each turn?
Roll it three times and take 3 damage per turn?
A: I don't actually know the answer. We have played it as cumulative, since it stays in play.
So for all characters who don't have a Weathered or Dusty Ponchos it is time to get Rider's Hats if necessary (to get Traveler if you don't have Frontier or Outlaw) and Ponchos.
Then you can ignore the weather and not care if it is cumulative or not. (by Adam Canning dahak))

Q: What happens when a frontier town is destroyed for future adventures? Are there other towns?
A: There's new towns... you just pack up and go to the next town on the road...buildings are only ever destroyed between adventures, and are always back up and running to be destroyed again for the next one... the wild west was a sucker for punishment.

34. Town:

Town Activity sequence clarification:
1: Adventure
2: Finish Adventure
3: Travel: Roll for Travel Hazards and Resolve.
4: Begin Town Day. Decide whether you stayed at the hotel or the camp. Put your figure in one of those locations on the map. Either pay $10 for hotel or roll for camp event.
5: Decide what location to visit. Everybody puts their figure on the appropriate location.
6: Roll and resolve one event per location per hero, at their location.
7: Interact with locations.
8: End of Day, roll for Town event.
9: Decide either to leave, or go back to step 4.

Q: You can purchase items, dark stone & equipment items and also forge upgrades. But how is that indicated in the game? I couldn´t find any matching cards for that stuff.
So must i use pen and paper to manage this?
A: I've been treating the game more as an RPG than a card game, in that I printed out a full sized character sheet for each player that you can find in the custom files. I have players record all their abilities and gear on the sheets and then get rid of the cards entirely to reduce table clutter (which there is a great deal of).
If you have played any PnP RPG it shouldn't be difficult but it might be a bit awkward if you haven't. If there were cards for all that stuff we'd need at least 50 more cards to cover all the miscellaneous stuff you can purchase in shops.

Q: Do you also travel BEFORE a new adventure or only after it?
A: You get one travel trip between adventures. You don't travel before your first adventure. Depending on how you're doing for time, you can do your travel step as soon as you finish your adventure, or you can hold off and start your next game night with travel. But you only get one visit to town between adventures (and sometimes not even that, if you fail the wrong mission.

Q:
When are heroes in town allowed to exchange items, money, dark stones etc.? Could they do it when they are at different locations or only at the beginning of a round when they are all in the hotel?
A: I can't recall if there's been a ruling on this. There isn't anything in the adventure book that I can recall. I think you just need to come up with something that works for your group.
Personally, we don't always calculate everything out before heroes go to their locations, but the only money/darkstone/whatever that can be traded is what they had before going into a location that day - so anything the Saloon Girl might make on any given day cannot be spent the same day except by her in the Saloon. We also don't make this decision based on special sales that might come up; we usually have a good idea of what people are buying before going, and just ask for money as needed (ie "give me a darkstone so I can buy you darkstone bullets"). It's effectively the same as trading everything at the campsite/hotel, though the timing of the actual trade is a little off.

Q: Regarding bounties at the Frontier Outpost, we rolled a 2 which says we earn $10 for every Tentacle we kill in the next adventure. Does the hero who killed the Tentacle get the money alone? Or does every hero get $10 whenever a Tentacle is killed?
A: The larger enemies, on their respective bounties, say that all players get money even if only 1 player gets the killing blow.

Q: If I'm reading the rules correctly.. if all 4 of us visit the Frontier Outpost in a single day, we're rolling for 4 events at this location? As a result, is it smarter to spread out in town?
A: You're reading the rules correctly, yes. As to whether it's smarter or not is up to you.

Q: Is it intended for Grit to be used to reroll the result on charts? Like the random charts available in town? Wound charts? Traveling to town chart? Surgery results?
A: Yes. That's why you're specifically allowed to recover 1 Grit before the town phase.
Grit is just the universal yard-stick for Old Western Badassery. In some cases, its pro-active - shooting well, ducking, keen senses, etc. But in some cases, its passive. An hombre with a lotta grit also recovers from surgery faster, tends to inspire locals around him to be on their best behavior, and in general tends to pull fate in his direction where ever he roams. Re-rolling for stuff in town is a legit model for the latter.
Also, it should be noted from a mechanics standpoint that you can grit re-roll any number of dice just rolled as long as its your specific character making the roll (attacks, defense, hit, damage, tests, individual town building charts for your character's visit, etc). Arbitrary rolls, like random heroes for events, where monsters attack, whether or not the person you're trying to rescue is still alive, the Universal Town Event chart (effects the entire town at the end of the town day), etc. cannot be gritted because the roll could legally be made by anyone - i.e. it's made by a player, not a character (and its the character that spends Grit).
The one exception to this rule is Hold Back The Darkness, which is made by whoever has the Lantern, but which you cannot Grittically Succeed.

Q: In the Frontier Outpost, there is an event that reduces the value of Darkstone for all players selling it. There is also an event that increases the price of all Darkstone. The result that increases the price seems to be worded to only affect the actual person that rolled the result. Is that correct, or does it affect everyone like the other result?
A: It affects everyone who visits for the day, and increasing and decreasing results from multiple characters cancel each other out.

Q: The Frontier Outpost has a place you can collect bounties from on a given monster type. Does this effect apply to previous adventure, or to the next adventure?
A: You roll to see what the bounty will be on the next adventure, and then collect the money every time you kill the creature.
Additionally, bounties aren't split between heroes.
If you roll one of the basic bounties, whoever kills that critter gets that money when the critter dies. So a $10 bounty on Hell Bats grants $10/bat to whoever landed the killing blow.
If you roll one of the bigger bounties, every hero gets that money when the critter dies. So $250 on a Strangler grants $250 per hero, so up to $1500 if you've got a six-player game!

Q: There are a relatively decent amount of random town events that use the terminology "gain X health/sanity". The question is, is this max health, or healing?
A: It is Maximum Health. As far as wording goes, healing Wounds or Sanity damage pretty much always uses the term 'Heal' or possibly 'Recover'(if I missed any spots on the cards or charts). Any other time it is a permanent change (addition or subtraction) to your Health/Sanity. Hope that helps. (by Jason Hill, Designer)

Q: In the doc's office chart, in the Surgery Table, are shown the dice results to verify the level of success in healing injuries. On the result of 1 (Botched), the text says: " The injury is too severe! It can never be healed through Surgery at the Doc's Office". Is it intended in this Town, or in every Town for ever and ever in the course of the entire life of a PG?
A: Every Town, as I understand it. There are other ways of getting rid of injuries of course. The 12 result in the Doctors Event table isn't Surgery. Nor is Ghar'Dhuli Swamp Salve, the Rune of Regeneration or the Fountain. Don't forget, it was determined you can use Grit to re-roll the results of the Doc's surgery.

Q: My gunslinger found a soul parasite and I'd like to remove it (i roll too many 1).
it looks impossible to remove it, because it is not an injury or a mutation. maybe an exorcism?
A: The 12 result on the Doctor's event table has a 2 in 3 chance of removing it since it includes Parasites as well as Mutations and Injuries.

35. Missions:

Q: In Basic Mission #6 (Blow the Mine) after placing both explosives and reaching the entrance, do you have to do the special Darkness Roll (if not successfull) every round maybe causing several Epic Threats? Or only once and if you fail you have to defeat the Epic Threat and then automatically succeed with no further Special Darkness Rolls?
A: It's just one special Darkness roll to see if an Epic threat arrives. You shouldn't be facing several Epic threats.

Q: Fistful of Darkstone reward: The rules state that if the heroes win the intro mission, each hero gets as a reward: 25XP and D3 darkstone. Are you suppose to roll the d3 for the whole group so everyone gets and even share of dark stone or does each hero roll?
A: Each hero means that you all roll separately.

Q: When all heroes are KO'd (=Mission failed) do you still keep the gold and XP you earned up to that point?
A: Yes. You are considered "knocked out" unless you get an event/card that specifically states that you die.
You simply keel over, and presumably eventually the monsters lose interest in mangling your unconscious bodies and wander away, upon which you Zoidberg woobwoob out the front entrance of the mine. (Most of the time failure will cause bad things to happen in the next town you meet, too. Like stores destroyed or lingering effects.)

40. Lawman:

Q: When you reroll a to-hit roll, do you reroll all the dice or just one die?
A: Using Lawman-ability: 1 to hit die can be rerolled. Using Grit: reroll any number of dice.

Q: Lawman and sheriff badge, are the bonuses from the two badges cumulative?
A: Yes. You can use them at the same time or you can use them separately, however you think works best for the particular fight.

41. Outlaw:

Q: The first upgrade in the Outlaw category Shootin, Guns Blazing says When firing an Outlaw pistol you may treat any 6s rolled To Hit as 2 Hits each(instead of a critical hit).
So, if duel wielding would this skill not apply since you can't score critical hits?
A: The intent for the Guns Blazin' ability is that it may be used any time you roll a 6 with your Outlaw Pistols, even while Dual Wielding and/or while not adjacent to the target. ie - it doesn't need to replace a critical hit (Though I can see how it could be read that way), it just can't be combined with critical hits.
I can see how the wording might be a little tricky on that one. It is a little tough because there's not a lot of extra room in the upgrade skill tree boxes to be verbose. (by Designer Jason Hill)

42. Preacher / Nun:

Q: Keeping the Faith: Can anyone explain what they mean by "if you have none, gain +1 faith"?
A: If you don't have a Madness or injury to remove gain a permanent +1 to your Faith [Which starts at 2]
All the bonuses on the Random Upgrade and Upgrade Charts are permanent. Or at least I can't think of one that isn't.
i.e. it is an extra faith token per turn.

Q: Upgrade Chart there are 2 similar abilities which read:
*Chosen:
Once per turn you may Re-roll a single Defense roll
and
*Holy Strike:
Once per turn you may Re-roll one of your to-Hit rolls
My interpretation is that both abilities allow you to re-roll one die only: either one die of your defense pool or one of your to-hit pool.
However I don't get it why they used different terminology to define them.
Why did they not use 'a single to-hit roll' or 'one of your defense rolls' keeping consistent terminology?
Maybe they use different words because the abilities have different effects?
A: It is one die for both abilities. They're worded differently because not all the terminology differences were caught in the final pass.
If you read the rules closely, you will see that a "Defense Roll" *is* rolling a single die against your Defense stat. To speed up the game (and also for the purposes of Grit), you may roll multiple Defense roll dice together, which you then can use Grit to reroll.

Q: Upgrade Chart *Aura of Wrath:
...you may add +D6 Damage to a single one of your hits.
Can this be applied to for instance to Cleansing Fire where "Hellfire markers do 1 Hit with 2D6 Damage to anything in their space"?
Can that Hit still be considered one of the preacher's hits and therefore a valid trigger for the Aura? Or only Hits coming from Melee or Ranged Attacks are to be considered?
A: Cleansing Fire isn't a hit the Preacher makes (the Hellfire is what hits), so I would rule it unavailable to use Wrath.

Q: Does the preacher also get 5XP for every point healed with his starting healing sermon IN ADDITION to the XP from using the sermon?
A: Yes. "Any time a Hero Heals Wounds or Sanity Damage from another Hero (regardless of the method), they gain 5 XP for each wound/sanity healed." Page 16 of the rulebook.

Q: On Gear, Artifacts, the priests spells etc. there are "XP" noted... is it right that you gain that XP when you get the card or play the spell?
A: XP on Scavenge and Loot cards is gained when you get the card. XP on Sermons is gained when the Preacher successfully casts the sermon, so could potentially gain that XP every turn.

Q: Can the preacher spam spells like spirit shield outside of combat to grind xp?
A: Yes - Sermons that have a valid target (like Shield of Light) can be cast outside combat. Sermons that don't have a valid target (like the healing sermon, if the Preacher isn't adjacent to a wounded hero) cannot be cast.

43. Rancher:

Q: Void Enhancement is an awesome ability. It reads: "Once per turn, you may use a Dark Stone to add +D6 Damage to one of your Hits. +1 Grit."
So, do you have to decide whether you will use this before you roll the damage, or can it wait until after you roll?
A: You decide when to apply it. Before your roll, after your roll, it doesn't matter.
Things that require a specific timing for them are described. Otherwise, the choice is the player's.

"Shoot through" clarification/ with damage bonus:
The Rancher's ability says "...do D6 damage..." which means it's not technically a Hit, which means it can't benefit from things that add +dmg to Hits.
The Gunslinger's ability says "...do one Hit with the same Gun..." I emailed FFP about this (because we had a Gunslinger using the Plasma Arc with Cerberus bullets), and they said that Through-Shot should NOT have the "...with the same Gun..." text. Apparently, this change was made too late to make it into the first print.
What this means is that while neither of these abilities do Hits with the same Gun, the Gunslinger's does do a Hit - meaning it can benefit from things like Righteous Fury - but the Rancher's ability offers no such synergy. This seems inconsistent, but perhaps its an intentional balance thing.

44. Gunslinger:

Errata: Through-Shot should NOT have the "...with the same Gun..." text. Apparently, this change was made too late to make it into the first print.

Q: Both the Gunslinger and Rancher have an ability that lets them shoot through. If they kill an enemy then they get to do a free hit on another enemy that is in one of the 3 spaces behind the first enemy.
This has lead to some vagueness. #: Does it mean the 3 spaces in a direct line behind the enemy or the 3 spaces that are directly behind (as in directly behind, behind to the left, and behind to the right)? ##: Do we need a direct line of fire between the character and the enemy this will be hitting with the secondary hit? Does the range of the weapon limit the ability or does this circumvent range? ###: If the second hit kills that creature can you keep chaining the ability into more shots (this would actually be pretty entertaining)?
A#: the 3 spaces that are directly behind (as in directly behind, behind to the left, and behind to the right)
A##: No. It says "you may immediately do d6 damage" it does not say do a ranged attack or any other qualifier.
A###: No. It says "Any time you kill an Enemy with a Gun". I'd argue that the immediate D6 damage is not your original action, so the effect, not "you", did the damage. And it is just D6 damage, not "a gun".

Q: Is a Gunslinger able to use Quickdraw-ability to throw Dynamite?
A: No, City of Ancients Adventure Book, P. 16:
"Quickdraw may only be used to make an Attack with a Gun."

Q: My question, with respect to Quickdraw is: What constitutes a "Monster Group"? One card's worth? One Enemy Type?
A: I don't have the card in front of me, so I don't know the exact wording, but I believe the intent is that quickdraw is triggered once each time any enemies are placed on the board. If a threat card has you place 3 different enemy types, you get one quickdraw attack.
The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you get multiple quickdraw attacks when you get enemies from multiple sources at the same time (two threat cards from two different Encounter cards for example). I believe in that situation, you would still only get one quickdraw attack because when resolving multiple encounters, you resolve all encounters before placing enemies (and therefore they should be considered one group since they are placed at the same time). I'm not 100% positive on that though.

Q: Could the Gunslinger use more than one special bullet per hit? We ruled no but couldn't find it in the rules.
A: No. There's a page just a few pages into the adventure book that details the Gunslinger's Six Shooter. I think it says something in there about only being able to use one special bullet per hit. Or it might be on the little Six Shooter reference card. I know I've seen it somewhere.
Another thing to keep in mind: It's stated in the rules, in the adventure book, that you can't combine dark stone bullets with gunslinger bullets. It's on the 2 pages where you have the specifics rules for the CoA core set.

"Shoot through" clarification/ with damage bonus:
The Rancher's ability says "...do D6 damage..." which means it's not technically a Hit, which means it can't benefit from things that add +dmg to Hits.
The Gunslinger's ability says "...do one Hit with the same Gun..." I emailed FFP about this (because we had a Gunslinger using the Plasma Arc with Cerberus bullets), and they said that Through-Shot should NOT have the "...with the same Gun..." text. Apparently, this change was made too late to make it into the first print.
What this means is that while neither of these abilities do Hits with the same Gun, the Gunslinger's does do a Hit - meaning it can benefit from things like Righteous Fury - but the Rancher's ability offers no such synergy. This seems inconsistent, but perhaps its an intentional balance thing.

45. U.S. Marshall:

Q: In regards to the U.S. marshall, if he kills does he get another shot? Due to his ability on the same turn?
A: Yes, the Marshall gains 1 additional shot (read: +1 die) when he kills the first enemy each turn. Note, if you had a double barrel shotgun (2 dice), you still only get 1 additional die to roll.

Q: Lawman and sheriff badge, are the bonuses from the two badges cumulative?
A: Yes. You can use them at the same time or you can use them separately, however you think works best for the particular fight.

46. Saloon Girl / Piano Player:

Q: Can the saloon girl heal at the end of the turns in combat? When players are adjacent?
A: Yes it's at the end after all heroes have activated, so group up to heal if possible. That usually slows down your party movement which could cause the darkness to do it's thing.
In Combat though, still totally works.

Q: Does she heal at the end of her activation, or at the end of the whole turn. The wording says at the end of the hero turn, but technically there is no "Hero Turn" only an "End of the Turn"
A1: Basically, it happens at the end of the whole turn (after all heroes have moved).
A2: Heroes don't have individual turns; they have activations. A turn is a full game round. The Saloon Girl's Comforting Presence should read "at the end of the turn" and is used after all heroes and monsters have been activated.
A3: Playtester Joel: The reason I clarified that the wording on Comforting Presence should read "at the end of the turn" is that there is no such thing as a "hero's turn" in SOBS. When an individual hero 'goes', it's called an "Activation", not a "Turn". The terms "Turn" and "Activation" mean very specific things. From the Glossary in the Adventure book:
Activation – An individual model or group of Enemies’ opportunity to move and attack during the turn.
Turn – One game round, from the Hold Back the Darkness phase to the End of the Turn phase.
For the most part, those terms should be consistent and specific. There may be a few instances though where it's not clear (like comforting presence), which I imagine they'll compile in a FAQ at some point.

Q: Can you have several Hold-out Pistol, as long as you respect the weight limit?
A: Yes, but there's a strict limit on free attacks of one per turn.

Q: For instance, the saloon girl can learn spinning kick by leveling up. You use 1 grit to knock back an enemy. Does this take the place of your attack or can use spinning kick and then hold out pistol and then a regular attack?
A: These can be done without forfeiting your attack nor does it count as a free attack.
Actions that count as free attacks are marked as such and actions that replace your attack spcifically state so as well, which is not the case for the spinning kick.

Q: The Hold-Out Pistol gives a "Free Attack (Once per Fight)". Does this mean it can only be used once per fight or it can only be used as a free action once per fight?
A: The Hold-out Pistol, and other items that can give a Free Attack, can only be used once per fight (or maybe others have some different restriction, but Hold-out Pistol is once per fight). It can't be used as a regular weapon, just for the free attack.

Q: On the turn The Hold-Out Pistol is used as a free action does that mean you can shoot this gun *and* do a melee attack or possibly shoot this gun *and* another one?
A: On the turn you use it, you can still do your regular attack (either ranged or combat). I usually do my regular attack first, then decide whether the Free Attack will be good that turn.

Q: If I own more than 1 Hold-Out Pistol, can I use all of them in my first turn of fight?
A: No, You can only get one Free Attack per turn (even if you have more than one item that gives one). BUT you COULD use the extra Hold-Out Pistols in the following turns one at the time and one after the other (don't forget the weight, though!)

Q: The saloon girl starts with Hold-Out Pistol and no other weapons. If as a free attack she uses the hold-out pistol, can she then use it again as her actual ranged attack?
A: No. At the moment all the Free Attack items cannot be used for normal attacks and are Once per fight.
She can still kick things with her 2 Combat dice though.
The only Guns in the Game a starting Saloon Girl can use in a normal Ranged Attack are the Light Pistol (Available in Town from the General Store) and the Hell pistol (Mine Artefact from Swamps of Death)

Q: Can saloon girl heal herself with her starting ability?
A: No. "...from every other adjacent hero..."

====================== THE END ==========================

(edited 19.Nov.2014: added corrections/ additions due to posts by Derek VDG (dvang) and Bobby Warren (Bobby4th). Thank you!)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
(by Adam Canning (dahak) = Playtester)

I'm not a Playtester. Wish I was.

When I've been quoting things from Playtesters it has been things Joel Flamme or Amy Stone have said.

IIRC they are the SoBs Playtesters who occasionally post on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a long way off, but do you plan on continuing this for Shadows of Brimstone : Forbidden Fortress or ? I kind of like the idea of all this stuff being in one place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isnt it a role of FFP to give the players a fcuking good set of rules and faq? Wtf?
Kudos to OP for all your hard work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few updates from ECC. Scott spoke with Jason about a few things, and posted the answers to the Facebook group:

Quote:
Can Heroes with three hands triple wield guns or dual wield a one- and a two-handed weapon?
Yes and yes. This is still considered "dual-wielding" so that there can be no Critical Hits .

If an Enemy is adjacent to a Hero and does not change targets, should it move to be in back of the Hero or stay where it is?
As currently played, they stay where they are.

When Lava Men move adjacent to a Hero, should they move as far as possible or choose a Lava space to enable healing?
As currently played, they stay where they are.

Authority of O'Tar: "Attacks +1 Damage in Otherworld." Is this treated as if it said "Hits +1 Damage in Otherworld”? Or is +1 Damage added to the attack as a whole?
Add +1 Damage to each hit in the attack.

Jason included the "as currently played" disclaimer because these rulings could change when the official FAQ (in the works) is released. He also took pains to remind us that we are not forced to play by these rules. "If you want to make the Lava Men more challenging, have them move to lava spaces."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Hominy Grit
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can Heroes with three hands triple wield guns or dual wield a one- and a two-handed weapon?
Yes and yes. This is still considered "dual-wielding" so that there can be no Critical Hits .

Is this in fact true? It is defined in the rulebook that dual wielding is with 2 single handed weapons. Page 30 maybe? Also this would not make much sense. Why would the Calvary Saber exist when you can just get another gun and strengthen your ranged attacks? Why would the brace of 3 pistols exist for $2100 or the rail spike driver for $4100 exist when an outlaw, for example, could just buy 3 outlaw pistols (with 3 upgrade slots per pistol) for $300 each and gain far more shots? Or equip the punisher shotgun and the judge pistol together? Just seems WAY over powered to me but maybe I'm wrong! Is there any actual official word on this?

There was another discussion about this here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1258672/prehensile-tail-mut...

I really wish there were more specifics written to the rules. Possibly even an official FAQ section on their site that is updated as new themes and expansions are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dambr7 wrote:
Quote:

Is this in fact true? It is defined in the rulebook that dual wielding is with 2 single handed weapons. Page 30 maybe? Also this would not make much sense. Why would the Calvary Saber exist when you can just get another gun and strengthen your ranged attacks? Why would the brace of 3 pistols exist for $2100 or the rail spike driver for $4100 exist when an outlaw, for example, could just buy 3 outlaw pistols (with 3 upgrade slots per pistol) for $300 each and gain far more shots? Or equip the punisher shotgun and the judge pistol together? Just seems WAY over powered to me but maybe I'm wrong! Is there any actual official word on this?

I really wish there were more specifics written to the rules. Possibly even an official FAQ section on their site that is updated as new themes and expansions are released.
This is the answer Jason Hill (game designer) gave to someone at Emerald City ComicCon.

Keep in mind there are still no critical hits allowed with tri-wielding, or dual-wielding a 1H and 2H gun.

Why would someone still get a Cavalry Sabre? It allows you to get critical hits. It's good for those with melee/combat bonuses. It's especially useful for the Lawman, who gets a free single re-roll on every attack - the Cavalry Sabre gives them 2 separate attacks (1 ranged, 1 melee) instead of more dice on a single (ranged) attack.

Why would someone get a Brace of 3 Pistols? Because they can get critical hits with it. Because it only has 1 weight icon, compared to 3 weight icons for 3 pistols, or 2 weight icons for a 1H + 2H gun.

Why would someone get a Rail Spike Driver? Because their abilities apply to melee combat, not ranged combat.

The Outlaw could absolutely run around with 3 Outlaw Pistols. They might get a lot of shots, but they're not getting critical hits with any of them. Critical hits can be the key to getting by some enemies, especially with higher level and expansion enemies.

Some of these combos require pretty specific draws of gear and specific mutation rolls. Could they happen? Sure. Will they happen frequently? Probably not. And if they do, so what? There were some pretty strong combos before this ruling. Now there's a few more. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
dambr7 wrote:
Quote:

This is the answer Jason Hill (game designer) gave to someone at Emerald City ComicCon.

Keep in mind there are still no critical hits allowed with tri-wielding, or dual-wielding a 1H and 2H gun.

Why would someone still get a Cavalry Sabre? It allows you to get critical hits. It's good for those with melee/combat bonuses. It's especially useful for the Lawman, who gets a free single re-roll on every attack - the Cavalry Sabre gives them 2 separate attacks (1 ranged, 1 melee) instead of more dice on a single (ranged) attack.

Why would someone get a Brace of 3 Pistols? Because they can get critical hits with it. Because it only has 1 weight icon, compared to 3 weight icons for 3 pistols, or 2 weight icons for a 1H + 2H gun.

Why would someone get a Rail Spike Driver? Because their abilities apply to melee combat, not ranged combat.

The Outlaw could absolutely run around with 3 Outlaw Pistols. They might get a lot of shots, but they're not getting critical hits with any of them. Critical hits can be the key to getting by some enemies, especially with higher level and expansion enemies.

Some of these combos require pretty specific draws of gear and specific mutation rolls. Could they happen? Sure. Will they happen frequently? Probably not. And if they do, so what? There were some pretty strong combos before this ruling. Now there's a few more. *shrug*
If it makes you feel any better, I too think that this ruling is bad for the game. But alas, the Captain has spoken. Adria is correct on all counts tho - there are enough reasons to forgo dual-wielding even in a Tri-wielding climate. My main problem is with the Outlaw Gun Belt. I wish this item had never been invented.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls