H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the original PG and its probably my favorite euro game by far. How much of an "improvement" is this version actually?

Is it worth it if I have the original? (For reference, I've played about 20+ times and still really enjoying it and looking to get Korea/China soon to add to the replay value)

Also, a side question, does it play any faster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm buying/treating this as an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

why's that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is how I see it too. A 45€ expansion.

I have played so many times the original game that I needed to get accustomed to the new pieces, layout and graphics. Although bigger and clearer, they were more of a hinderance for me and certainely didn't add anything to the gameplay.

But the new maps are really nice and Power Grid still one of the best games made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the comments page and look at the overall rating most feel that it subtly improves upon the original in a number of ways but then you've got a few that feel a bit more strongly... (both positively and negatively)

Quote:

This version fixes most of the problems of the original Power Grid. I will never play the original again.
2014-11-15

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rusticchasm wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

why's that?

As am I. It is basically a new map (which is the majority of the expansions any way) that has a few tweaks (which is basically what the expansions do besides the map). There are some "major" differences from basic PG so it does feel more than an expansion but still in that same vein I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
rusticchasm wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

why's that?

As am I. It is basically a new map (which is the majority of the expansions any way) that has a few tweaks (which is basically what the expansions do besides the map). There are some "major" differences from basic PG so it does feel more than an expansion but still in that same vein I think.

It feels like a new set of maps with the added tweak of a new deck; which they've done before so I'm used to that too. It's honestly not much different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLK
Netherlands
Sellingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason I bought the Deluxe version was to keep my PG collection complete. At the time of purchase I had doubts, but the extra yellow tokens have pulled me over. Unfortunately, I must now confess.

A few arguments:
- The map and cards are a lot more colorful, but not as clear as the old ones (perhaps boring, but functional)
- Cards that added ‘something’ to PG (transformer station, flux generator, supply contract, themepark, warehouse) can’t be used in combination with the new cards because the back has changed.
- you can only partially use it as an expansion due to the difference in the cards (power plants)
- Cheap plastic chips
- The price

And a more positive perspective:
- The new tokens can also be used on the existing maps.
- The "one-token '. Very nice thought that the lowest central is a discount. But to be honest, you don’t need a Deluxe edition (knowledge of the rule and any kind of marker will do just fine)

I If you do not already have all of the PG expansions (maps, cards) my advice would be to buy these first. It doesn’t matter which one, because they all give more value for you many than this Deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely still going to buy but being that it's not a limited edition I'm just going to wait until it's on sale.

Easily the most disappointing "deluxe" edition of a top ranked game I can think of.

If they'd just kept things compatible with existing editions (matching card backs), included metal coins or ceramic chips and a sophisticated gold foil box they could have probably charged even more and still had every fan of the series chomping at the bit to acquire it.

As it is, I hear as many passing on this as not.

While I'm sure it's still going to be profitable for them in the long run I think this was a pretty big marketing and development fail compared to the level of excitement and profit they could have generated if they'd bothered to check the pulse of their fan base.

Considering how many people have forked over tens of thousands of dollars for (truly) deluxe editions of things like Small World and Tokaido the level of missed opportunity for a game as venerable as Power Grid can't be overstated.

Perhaps for their next big Anniversary.
`
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny M
msg tools
I bought this because I loved the original Power Grid. The plants are all different, the maps (North America/Europe) are completely different, and the resource market is completely different.

The game plays slightly different but with all of the changes above it plays like a brand new game. Same basic rules and strategies but it seems a lot more balanced. After a few plays with various new and old players, it has only gotten good reviews with good feedback.

If you like Power Grid, you will like this game. A great replacement but also a good addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
leroy43 wrote:

I would agree with this. It's very similar to the original game, but gives a little variety. On the down side, it's not entirely compatible with other expansions (at least the deck promos), and it costs a lot for an expansion. If you're a hardcore player, you might want to pick it up though, as it has a different balance/feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the side of "This has completely replaced standard Power Grid for me". It feels to me like a game that was good, and then was playtested for ten years.

For what it's worth, I only ever owned Base Power Grid (my playgroup tries to avoid duplicating expansion purchases). Two other people in my group own most of the expansions for Power Grid, so I decided I would bite the bullet on this 'reboot'. After playing it, though, I'm completely sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to look into this more if people are gunna say it completely replaced standard and fixed standards problems because I never had any complaints about standard to begin with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
The cheapest I've seen deluxe for was $56. The cheapest I've seen the base game for in the last month was $24. Expansion maps between 9 and 15.

So for $56 I could get deluxe, or the base game and the new deck and three expansion maps. The latter is by far a better value than the former.

Cheap plastic chips. Yay. I leave them in the box and use poker chips.

Ugly art. Some of the wooden bits are gorgeously elegant (oil, gas, nuke), some are hideous (player pieces, coal)

The gameplay, though... Little subtle tweaks that shake up patterns and strategies. I really like the new gameplay, but it's not so far above the changes of the recent maps as to justify the price if you are sensitive to that.

(Me personally? I bought the game the second I saw it online and played it 7 times in a week and a half. Well worth every penny. But I'm aware that there are other opinions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, seems like the general consensus is split between a) it replaces original and b) just getting expansions like Korea/China are better.

Quick questions:
- What are the main issues of PG it fixes? I see the game as amazing as is.
- Are the two boards better than the original map's two boards?
- Based on one persons response, is it possible to test the $1 auction on my original with a spare token?
- Is there a way to test the 2p The Trust using my original PG set?
- Are there any setbacks in the Deluxe that are done worse than the original? It sounds like art is marginally annoying, but nothing game changing.

Thanks everyone! Right now, I'm leaning toward just getting the expansion for now and waiting on Deluxe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
The cheapest I've seen deluxe for was $56.

Was available for $46 just this week from Cardhaus in their Black Friday sale and that's just 6 weeks after it's release. We'll see it go much lower in the years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Okay, seems like the general consensus is split between a) it replaces original and b) just getting expansions like Korea/China are better.

Quick questions:
- What are the main issues of PG it fixes? I see the game as amazing as is.
- Are the two boards better than the original map's two boards?
- Based on one persons response, is it possible to test the $1 auction on my original with a spare token?
- Is there a way to test the 2p The Trust using my original PG set?
- Are there any setbacks in the Deluxe that are done worse than the original? It sounds like art is marginally annoying, but nothing game changing.

Thanks everyone! Right now, I'm leaning toward just getting the expansion for now and waiting on Deluxe

Again, I'm not nearly as enfranchised as most people probably are in this thread (I've played plenty but only own base), but here's one perspective anyways:

Fixed "issues" -- plant deck is better balanced, the first 9 plants aren't pre-set and so the first auction is more interesting, resources are more differentiated on the supply row (for example, 4 coal at $1 and $2, but only 2 oil), boards have places for the plants and deck and to slide back and forth on the turn order track, more regions on each map (7 instead of 6), 2 players is playable out of the box (the Trust), better components (resources and plastic money [and the little auction gavel]), art (may be a plus or minus depending). I almost forgot -- cards for the refill rates per map per player number, instead of the table on the back of the rules. That's one of my favorites.

Maps "better"? -- Define "better", I suppose. I've never really had an issue with the base maps; everyone is playing on the same map after all. They have more variety because of the seventh region. Maybe someone else can better answer this.

Testing North America's $1 rule and the Trust -- should be easy enough to get an idea how they work, if you can grab the rules from somewhere. The Trust doesn't need any components, and the $1 rule just needs one.

Setbacks -- The art is one for some, but I don't care either way personally. Available maps is another concern, but I expect going forward that new expansions will be written primarily, if not completely,for power grid deluxe, so that should be alleviated over time. You could try using the old maps, but the resource refills won't sync with the new plant deck very well, so I would expect the resource markets to go crazy.

EDIT: Oh, and cost obviously. You can buy base Power Grid for significantly less that Deluxe, currently, but that's another one that will fix itself over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I did not know the Power Plants varied in the initial setup. But wait, couldn't you just play that in a variant of the base PG?

But yeah, I really like a lot of the stuff I'm hearing, though I think I will probably just print out the Deluxe rules and try them out for my own PG, and play with the expansion maps it has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$37.99 on sale right now at CSI.

More than 50% off the MSRP was more than enough for me to pull the trigger. At under $40 this goes from feeling overpriced to an absolute bargain for what's in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.