BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Is barcode necessary for printing games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, hope this doesn't come across as silly to some of u and hope to get useful advice here.

I am submitting my cards for printing soon and one of the finer details for the box is the barcode that I so often see in packages.

What is a barcode for? Is it a must to include it? How does one get it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not mandatory, but helps the retail stores.

The barcode contains the unique ISBN number used for literary publications (or EAN code for general goods). If your product does not have one, a retail store may need to add their own temporary code so they can easily scan it when they use cash registers.

Getting ISBN code should be cheaper than EAN code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
angatheart wrote:
Hi, hope this doesn't come across as silly to some of u and hope to get useful advice here.

I am submitting my cards for printing soon and one of the finer details for the box is the barcode that I so often see in packages.

What is a barcode for? Is it a must to include it? How does one get it?

If you plan on selling through retail outlets you really need a barcode and it should be purchased from a reputable company. There are companies that sell 're-cycled' barcodes that cause problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate your replies. Very helpful indeed.

A follow-up question. I am going to print a card deck and a book as a set. Should I use the same code? Or ean for cards and isbn for books?

I do plan to sell on amazon. What must I watch out for? I plan to get it as cheaply as I can, but how do I make sure it's not recycled barcode?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
angatheart wrote:
I am going to print a card deck and a book as a set. Should I use the same code?

How do you package them? The book is natural to have an ISBN code, but if the deck always comes with it, then the product/packaging only needs one code. (Be it ISBN, or EAN. But I am not familiar with ISBN conventions, so you better check the general rules about what kind of stuff you can use it for. I'm just guessing card deck would fall under literary/artistic just like books.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lim Lex

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
Hmmmm ..... you not playtesting it before producing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bitatmoonl wrote:
Hmmmm ..... you not playtesting it before producing it?

Haha, well as it is meant for the class, I have playtested over the years in my school, with whole class and small groups. I have also playtested with individual kids.

Of course I would like to playtest more and get others to playtest for me too. Anyway, it's more of an educational thing than anything. It's more like throwing some game elements into the package, so the game component is only about 25%.

At the very least my school is already going to use it next year. So in a way I already have a pre-order. That is enough reason for me to send it for printing. Just need to find a few more schools that are willing to try it out.

Didn't know you live in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.