TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the name of your game "Train Heist"? Please make that explicit. And fix both your links. They go to 404. As it stands, I have to guess at your game name, and then go hunt it up on KS, which, I'm not going to do.

Do you have a BGG page for your game yet? Link? Do you have, or can you make, a dev diary?

Gain some cred and tell us your other KS game now.

Either, have a full game play thru video, and or an independent game reveiwer video ready to go at KS start. I don't care how good your game looks, if I don't have those videos, a KS buy is too risky.

Upgraded components are an easy stretch goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Your link, sir: http://tinyurl.com/TrainHeistPreview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign Page wrote:
...special custom Cowboy and Horse meeples that interact

You mention this in the "high quality components" paragraph, but it isn't until later that you say the Cowboy meeples RIDE the Horse meeples. This is awesome! Don't just say they "interact" as that doesn't really mean anything. I'd be explicit that they ride those horsies right in the paragraph.

Also, in your gameplay flow, you show drawing cards, taking actions, and discarding cards, but don't actually say what the cards are used for in those graphics. I'm assuming that you use the cards to take actions but not all games work that way. It may be in the video, but I'd caution against putting some critical information in the video but not the text as many people don't watch the video or can't (maybe they browse at work) watch it the first time they stumble on the project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions:
Why have non-humans on the box art? It makes a promise that is not delivered on.

Why 5 cowboys in 5 colors, when the game is for 2-4 players? I also wonder how 3 or 4 players will deal with only 2 horses.

Step 4, so I have an engine, but the arrows tell me to move the back half of the train in front. Wouldn't the arrows be better in the actual direction of the train movement? Yes, your way is 'shorthand', but I think you lose clarity and theme.

Near the upper left on the board is some empty space, but later on I see some pictures showing some cards or discards there. So why not put a box there on the board to explicitly tell me that is the discard (or whatever) location? As it is it is both empty and confusing.

No link on the KS page to your BGG entry.

Stretch goals: I understand your reasoning, and on-time delivery is good, but if you want some ideas: blue backed poker cards, tell us what 'core' the cards will use and then promise the next better one, sheet of paper showing a montage of some of the earlier prototypes, sheet of paper featuring the box art, wooden dynamite (please tell me you have dynamite in the game), blue jean bag instead of cloth (blue jeans got their start in old west mining camps, IIRC), bandanna (player mask), bandanna bag instead of plain cloth. I don't like all of those ideas, but I throw them out to show that brainstorming can produce more ideas.

It could be an okay game; I'd need to see the reviews 1st. So far, I don't know much about the actual gameplay. I'm also not sure how well the Robinhood and old west train robbery themes will mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:

Why have non-humans on the box art? It makes a promise that is not delivered on.

I thought that a bit odd too. Not sure why there is a need for anthropomorphic cowboys either. Cowboys are well liked enough by kids that normal ones on the box wouldn't deter the 8+ crowd the game is intended for.

Quote:
I'm also not sure how well the Robinhood and old west train robbery themes will mix.

I don't mind this but can't see how it really does much for the game other than just using the names. It'd make more sense to truly wild west it up though.

Definitely never opt out of stretch goals. It just honestly comes across like you aren't trying if you do. Some of the simple suggestions above are good but There are still other things you could do to spruce it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to include more information on how the game is played in the 'Gameplay' section, and I'm looking into stretch goal ideas. I have a big one, making the board double-sided for two maps to play on, doubling the replay value. It will be further down the road though on the S-Goal tracker.

The reason for the Robin Hood esque theme is to make the game more appealing to all, including families possibly not wanting to teach their children that stealing is 100% acceptable (but for some reason is down with them watching the Robin Hood cartoon). It also matches with the games mechanics. Trust me. I can't go back at this point because it ties it all together.

Rahdo's doing a runthrough of Train Heist so there will be a demonstration of the gameplay for sure. Most of the reviewers I've chosen also usually do a quick runthrough of the game before they review it. So there will be at least 4 videos of how the game is played.

There are 5 cowboys because one is the Sheriff (the white one). Which gives me a Stretch Goal idea, a unique Sheriff meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for double sided boards!

Sheriff might be a "white hat" meeple (shape of a cowboy hat). Which of course allows for a "black hat", if you have room for a(nother) villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something you can add: you can make so that the arrows are stuck to the board, instead of being put every single game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
There is something you can add: you can make so that the arrows are stuck to the board, instead of being put every single game.

I thought about this often. It'll have to hold tight to the board so it doesn't shift during play. My worry is that it'll wear down that area of the board for that reason.

It'd be a fun addition, but the reality is it doesn't even take a full second to put the arrows on the board, and I've been prototyping with cardstock and they never budge, so thick punchboard arrows will have no problem staying idle.

I'll look into it though and see if the manufacturer can recommend something, like maybe a protective coating on the meters. I was thinking of having a divot in the center of each meter in the board using removable plastic arrows with a knob that fits into each divot to spin on. Actually, I could have two holes right through the board rather than divots if I make the board double-sided and have the meters mirrored on the reverse side. Then the arrows can be popped out and placed on the reverse side!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok here are the Stretch Goals we've brainstormed:

-Improved Card/Tile/Board 'Core'
-Unique Sheriff Meeple
-Double-sided Board
-Spinnable arrows attached to board.

I can work with this! I'll contact the manufacturer and get some quotes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.