BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good, Inexpensive Game Mat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I go to a meetup at a restaurant which sometimes has sticky tables. Can anyone recommend a good mat that I can use to protect my board and cards from stickiness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to a hardware store and look at the mat material used to line the bottom of tool boxes (used to cut down tools sliding around, clanking noises, rusting etc.). Mine is red, rolls up nicely and is easy to clean. Just cut to your desired size.

[edit] do a google search on 'tool box liner mat....'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Paul, but professionally-produced game mats do exist as an actual product, which seems to eliminate the need for a DIY version. I just want to spend me some money.

I figured it would just be a simple matter of going to Coolstuff and looking at their selection, but most of the playmats are incredibly busy-looking and often just plain gaudy. Seems to me a mat shouldn't be so heavy with artwork that it camouflages the things you put on top of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
When you feel the ground rumble, know an OGRE is coming.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there are some nice game mats, but they tend to not be very cheap. Mostly they're themed to a game too. His option of the hardware store roll is not bad; they are pretty durable, nice quality, and cheap. My suggestion is something like Inked Play Mats. Or using Arts Cow and their large bar mat. That way you can have it be whatever design you want. If its anything like their mouse pads then it is pretty good. I got two with themed areas for Marvel Dice Masters. They run promos a lot too. To me that is what you seem to be looking for that mouse pad type material just large enough to play on a table.

*Edit*

Just found custommousepad.com Looks like what you are looking for also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two of these:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/150984

I wish I'd bought four. Combined, the two are big enough for most card games up to four players, or else will keep almost any game board a vital couple of mm off the table surface. A couple more would cover most of a pub table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
I have two of these:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/150984

I wish I'd bought four. Combined, the two are big enough for most card games up to four players, or else will keep almost any game board a vital couple of mm off the table surface. A couple more would cover most of a pub table.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking at those. Wasn't sure if they were prone to wrinkling or bunching up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.