Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished putting together all the minis for CoA and I am hoping to get a game or two in this weekend. I would like to have a decent grasp of the rules before I introduce it to my group next week.

I noticed there is a lack of player aids in the files/docs section and this game could certainly use a few...specifically activation and turn summaries. I am thinking something along the lines of a flow chart layout.

I am a designer so I am shooting for an end product that would look like it came from FF themselves. Since I have yet to play the game, I really could use some input on what should be included. By the end of the week I should have a few games under my belt and I can adjust the content based on my own experience learning to play.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing I would find useful for players is understanding and not forgetting the sequence of play.

Game Turn:
*1. Hold Back the Darkness
2. Heroes and Monsters activate in initiative order
3. Explore
4. End the Turn

Hero Turn:
*1. Activation Effects (Fear/Horror)
*2. ROLL FOR MOVEMENT
3. Move - roll escapes if necessary
4. Attack/Search
*5. Move the depth track for new tiles

*These get forgotten a lot

Non-Attack abilities, tokens and items can be used at any time.

Other than that, having a list of things you can and cannot use Grit for might be useful, but might make a player aid a little large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Anything that combines all those smaller reference cards together would be great, especially any of the one-off rules for classes (preacher/gunslinger). A flow chart would be awesome for introducing new players into the game, maybe something that specifically calls out the rolls to make and what decks to draw from if X happens. Also timing for other items would probably be helpful as well.

You'll want to watch out for the copy you use and art assets used in case FFP has something against people making player aids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Their policy is pretty straightforward:

1. Dissemination of rules and the rulebook is okay as long as FFP releases it first.

2. Don't distribute rules, tables, etc. from expansions or adventure books as that would allow people to play with certain content without paying for it.

They won't care about a flowchart that just regurgitates rules from the official rulebook they've already released; in fact, there's already a rules summary in the Files section that already includes most of the rules.

In addition, there's no reason the flowchart needs to include the various charts (mutation, travel hazards, etc.) in the adventure book. Just stick to rulebook content and you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
SabastianBludd wrote:

1. Dissemination of rules and the rulebook is okay as long as FFP releases it first.

That's the thing, FFP won't allow such charts to be posted.

I think most all of us would want such player aids that condense all the multitude of charts from the 3 books, plus the Outlaw charts into one or 2 double sided pages. (I know I'm not looking forward to the constant page flipping soblue )

If you create the charts for yourself and don't post them anywhere, you're fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goldman
United States
Freeville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked out a walkthrough over the weekend to get a gist of gameplay before diving in myself, and thought that an initiative track would be useful, something similar to Mice and Mystics, for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just went through all the Adventure books and such and just scanned out the Hero Class pages and the Mission pages, printed out 8.5x11 pages and threw them into a binder with plastic sheets. I don't even think I have much cause to go into the Adventure books anymore. Though I think the books are fine, I just don't want to be getting my dirty hands all over them or trust my greasy friends with 'em either. Anything that can reduce the clutter footprint from this game will be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
I just went through all the Adventure books and such and just scanned out the Hero Class pages and the Mission pages, printed out 8.5x11 pages and threw them into a binder with plastic sheets. I don't even think I have much cause to go into the Adventure books anymore. Though I think the books are fine, I just don't want to be getting my dirty hands all over them or trust my greasy friends with 'em either. Anything that can reduce the clutter footprint from this game will be awesome.

I might have to start doing that. Our Adventure books are starting to look a little beat up and could lose their covers any day now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
paddirn wrote:

I might have to start doing that. Our Adventure books are starting to look a little beat up and could lose their covers any day now.

Plus it makes it expandable for when all the Otherworlds come out and the one-shot mission packs from Wave 2 hit next year. Just add more pages and boom, it's up-to-date. It's not the sexiest option we need, but the cheap-o one we deserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Wagoner
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushionrye wrote:
I checked out a walkthrough over the weekend to get a gist of gameplay before diving in myself, and thought that an initiative track would be useful, something similar to Mice and Mystics, for instance.

I second this! M&M's initiative tracker is a great aid.

If you go this route, you will need counters or some other indicator
of who is where on the initiative track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
SabastianBludd wrote:

That's the thing, FFP won't allow such charts to be posted.

What are you even talking about? There is a rules summary in the Files section right now. The flow-chart would be composed of nothing but what's in the rulebook that FFP has already released.

ampoliros wrote:
I think most all of us would want such player aids that condense all the multitude of charts from the 3 books, plus the Outlaw charts into one or 2 double sided pages. (I know I'm not looking forward to the constant page flipping soblue )

That's not what the OP was talking about. In specific he said:

billpa wrote:
I noticed there is a lack of player aids in the files/docs section and this game could certainly use a few...specifically activation and turn summaries. I am thinking something along the lines of a flow chart layout.

Emphasis mine. What he is asking for has not been discouraged, implicitly or explicitly, by FFP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuck boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I put together as it was the questions we came up with the most (formatting doesn't come through from my sheet, fyi):

The Hero Posse Level (based on the highest level hero in the posse) is set at the Start of each Adventure and allows for different Heroes to come and go from the group from game to game. Once an Adventure starts, the Hero Posse Level does NOT change, even if one or more Heroes level up mid-game. (You can level up anytime you have the xp)

* Elite Enemies are +5XP for each Elite Ability. Brutal Enemies are worth more XP as listed on their Sheet.

Gates to Another World (P30 RB)
Swamps of Jargono Special Rules: SoD - P7
Targa Plateau Special Rules: CotA - P7

Posse Level
Enemy Bonus
No Bonus
No Bonus
1 Elite Ability
2 Elite Abilities
Brutal side of Enemies
Brutal side of Enemies
Brutal + 1 Elite Ability
Brutal + 2 Elite Abilities

Fixed Map Missions (P19 RB):
Once a Hero Entered a Map Tile with an Exploration Token on it, that Hero may not leave the Map Tile until the end of the turn.
During a Fight, models may not move onto a Map Tile that has an unrevealed Exploration Token.
Gate/Door icons are ignored on Exploration Tokens.

Ambush Attacks (P22 RB): Ambushing Enemies are placed adjacent to the Heroes and gain +2 Initiative during the first turn of the fight.

Escape Tests (P23 RB): Roll a D6. If the results is equal to or higher than an Enemy’s Escape value, the test is passed and the Hero may move for the rest of this turn ignoring any adjacent Enemies that have that Escape value or lower. If failed, you cannot move. If Hero becomes adjacent to another Enemy with a higher Escape value, they must stop their move and make a new Escape Test with the higher difficulty to keep going.

Healing (P16 RB): Any time a Hero Heals Wounds or Sanity Damage from another Hero (regardless of the method), they gain 5 XP for each Wound/Sanity healed.

Completing a Fight (P27 RB):
Each Hero is allowed to “Catch your Breath” at the end of every fight, healing D3 Wounds/Sanity (Any Mix). If you didn’t get to activate, you get to either heal D6 Wounds/Sanity (any mix) or recover 1 Grit.
If KO’d: Stand Up, Roll 2D6 Wounds/Sanity (any mix), and Roll once on the Injury or Madness Chart (Card)
Every Hero is allowed to draw one Loot card for each Threat card that added Enemies to the Fight (Max 3 Loot cards each)
Weight and Carrying Limit (P18 RB): A Hero may only carry 5 + their strength in Weight icons.

End of Adventure (P36 AB / P29 RB):
Every Hero is reset to Full Health/Sanity and 1 Grit at the end of an Adventure.
Each Hero must roll a D6 for every Dark Stone they are carrying (including Items with a Dark Stone Icon). For every roll of 1, 2, 3, that Hero takes 1 Corruption Hit from the influence of the Dark Stone. Willpower saves may be used to prevent these Corruption Hits as normal.
Corruption: (P8, AB) A Hero may only hold up to 4 Corruption Points at a time without any ill effect. As Soon as the Hero has 5 Corruption Points, those corruptions are removed and the Hero must roll once on the Mutation Chart. (P58 AB)

Traveling to Town (P36 AB): Every Hero in the posse must roll a D6. A Hero that rolls a 1 or 2 on the die adds a Travel Hazard (P56 AB) to the Journey.

Town Rules (P37 AB)
Location Event Chart (p38) - Once all of the Heroes are at the location they have chosen for the Day, each Hero must roll 2D6 on the Location Event Chart for the Location they are visiting. Very Often a Location Event Chart result will affect all of the Heroes at that Location for the Day.
Selling Items (p39) - Found items are worth their gold value. Purchased items are worth half when sold.
Leaving Town (p39)- Any Heroes that do not want to spend any more time in Town may elect to Leave Town at the end of a Day, after the Town Event is rolled for and resolved. Once a Hero Leaves Town, they may not return until after the next Adventure, but are no longer affected by any Town Events that may occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.