• [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few borderline ones but my vote would go to Gandalf's Search or Power in the Earth. I think my group has eventually found decent uses for just about every other card.

Before the release of the Gandalf hero I would have definitely said Gandalf's Search was the worst. It had only ever been good in one deck and that was with the Zigil Miner before it got errata'ed. But with the release of Gandalf hero I could see running it and paying like 2 or 3 just to grab a card and switch up the card on top of deck for Gandalf. So maybe *almost* useful. Still, with Galadriel's Mirror just released if you compare the Mirror to Search it just shows how bad Gandalf's Search is.

So I guess the worst card is Power in the Earth. I really want there to be a reason for this card to exist. But it just... sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming we're talking about player cards here, I would say the worst card is Power in the Earth. If all you have is the Core, one resource for what is essentially one willpower is okay, but considering Spirit has the best location control in the game, having that "willpower" attached to a location is not very useful. A lot of the weaker cards in the Core Set I could actually imagine a deck where they might be useful. I don't think Power in the Earth would make the cut in any deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping Count

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
Keeping Count

That's not from the core set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Porteous
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree with power in the earth. I did find a weak use for it playing The Dead Marshes, using it to nullify the threat of Impassable Bog and not having to deal with its 12 quest points. But really even this isn't worth considering either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
Keeping Count

Keeping Count can be stupid good, if used right. Just putting that out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I have joked about all running 3x Power in the Earth in a four player game, to have 12x of them, in which case you could definitely take some locations out of the equation. But like Tony mentioned, there are just SUCH better options to deal with that stuff. Especially in Spirit sphere.

Maybe FFG can make some card in the future that boosts up the power of Power in the Earth. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brok Ironfist is up there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
dr00 wrote:
Keeping Count

That's not from the core set
this is what i get for posting when i can't sleep ;~;

my vote is for Brok Ironfist as well.

Mattr0polis wrote:
dr00 wrote:
Keeping Count

Keeping Count can be stupid good, if used right. Just putting that out there.
assuming you can actually draw that second copy is the problem here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Way! Dark Knowledge is a great card who comboes great with Denethor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steward of Gondor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
Steward of Gondor?

Unexpected Courage is the "worst" card. It actually cost me money because I had to go out and get 2 more Cores .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
is Dark Knowledge from the core set? That would be my vote if it is.

Yea, as long as you put it on a character that in most cases wont be questing, this card can be useful. Can also combo with Small Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
spurries wrote:
Delaric wrote:
is Dark Knowledge from the core set? That would be my vote if it is.

Yea, as long as you put it on a character that in most cases wont be questing, this card can be useful. Can also combo with Small Target.

But...Silver Lamp...

Well Silver Lamp the hero has to be ready, and For Burning Brand you can nullify it(BB is an awesome card, wont argue), but if you want to SEE the card to determine who should defend, or for trickery like small target, then you are better off with DK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta vote for Gandalf's Search. The only thing it's useful for is proxying as extra Gandalfs if you only have one core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Burning Brand and Silver Lamp both cost more than Dark Knowledge and have sphere restrictions that DK doesn't have... Not that I would seriously argue that DK is better than BB in general (BB is one of the best cards in the game), but there are at least some situations where DK would be more feasible.

In any case, having better options available doesn't necessarily make a card bad in and of itself.

Off the top of my head, I would agree with previous posters that Gandalf's Search, Power in the Earth and Brok Ironfist are probably the worst event, attachment and ally in the core set. I would also nominate Guard of the Citadel - at least unlike Brok it has the virtue of being cheap, but it has always been horribly inefficient for its cost. Yes, Gondor synergy exists now, but even that can only really boost it up to what I would consider baseline playability for an ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DK is usefull if you don't have enough defenders. You can choose for an enemy to just go by undefended

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
Wait guys...no one has mentioned Silverlode Archer?

Ive used him in Silvan Decks, in that case hes ok, comes in with Celeborn hes 3AT + Ranged. Same with Guard of the Citadel. At the time of release he sucked, but in an All Gondor Deck with Boromir hes a 2 cost 2WP 2AT guy. Works fine in that deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actualy think that Gandalf's search is quite good - usually it is an emergency dig for answers middle-to-late game where you have enough resources to actualy dig deeper, or it is a draw for one resource if you know for sure what is on the top of your deck. So unlike some other "shallow draw" spells it won't feel too small late game where you know you have an out in your deck, but need to do some digging. Of course this only works if you have a solid Lore resource engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Difficult question as the answer is 'it depends'. It depends:

- How many players?
- Worst card to include in multi-sphere deckbuilding? Or just the least useful card in the default mono decks?

In single player the Silverlode Archer is definitely a contender; the range is useless, and they don't compare favourably with Son of Arnor or Longbeard Orc Slayer.

In multiplayer Power in the Earth is quite weak. It can occasionally help mitigate location lock, but often if that happens you're in trouble already and there are much more useful cards even within the same sphere.

Brok is a tough one, he compares badly to Beorn, but within Leadership he can occasionally be useful because leadership has relatively good resource generation and more limited 2A options. For 6 resources you could get 2 silverlode archers - I'd probably prefer the more reliable Brok than the easily killed archers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power in the Earth can be a very useful card. Since the color palette is so similar to that of Unexpected Courage, I've used it as a proxy for UC many a time before I got a second Core Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as we're on the topic of silverload archer, I think I have to point out the genuinely terrible Lorien Guide, who I don't think I've put in a single deck since I got enough spirit allies to not need her. Even silvan decks don't want her she's so bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for solo play, i like Lorien Guide in lieu of Northern Tracker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.