Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24...

Basically instead of each round being best-of-3 in 50 minutes, it will be 1 game in 30 min.

Less seriously - I'm not sure how they posted this at 10:59 am whereas I am posting this at 10:24 am. Or are they on Canadian Atlantic time?

Edit: added description to subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty much how one of the stores I regularly play at has been running OP since the beginning.

But I didn't find the best of 3 to be too much either, which is how another store runs their events.

I'll be happy with either set up really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who knows that First Player Advantage is real, and significant, this is a silly change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impression is dislike. I haven't tried this yet, but one of the most fun aspects of a best 2 of 3 format is the ability to change your strategy after a game 1 loss. Obviously, this format removes the opportunity to make adjustments after a game 1 loss and comeback for a victory.

Furthermore, one of the debates on these forums is how big a deal is first player advantage. I'm on the side that it is manageable, but Some think it's more pronounce. If further analysis shows its a bigger deal than I think, winning the coin toss might be the key to victory.

Yep, the more I think about this the less I like it. I will definately be encouraging my shops to not adopt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on what your local scene is trying to do with it's tournaments.

If they are trying to find the best player, then best of 3 is better.

If they are trying to have people play fast games, and it doesn't matter who wins, then best of 1 is better.

WizKids knows this, as they even said themselves: "Best of 3 is suggested for top cut playoff matches", you know, because it's the better system to find the best player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
As someone who knows that First Player Advantage is real, and significant, this is a silly change.

I'm on record as disagreeing with you about 1st player advantage. This is from personal experience which is of course anecdotal. The degree of first player advantage can be accurately shown statistically. If someone collects the data and shows it to be significant I will be happy to admit I'm wrong. Even so, if there is even a chance I'm wrong, this is, as you say a silly change.

I think it's a horrible idea regardless. I must confess, I was blind sided by this anouncement. I have never heard anybody complain about the best of 3 format nor do I remember reading of it on these forums. I wonder if this is an early April fools joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think the biggest issue is that a lot of best-of-3 during AvX was going to time. My memory is a bit fuzzy at this point, but I want to say every swiss round at the WKO in Chicago had a few matches still being played when time was called, which extended each round's overall time.

Now that Uncanny has released, I've played both Rainbow Drafts and constructed with both sets allowed. Only one match I've played in went to time, and it was due to us both playing control (as expected, as matches typically run faster. I also think player knowledge and experience has led to less analysis paralysis, which was slowing rounds down as well.

I'm also against this change for tournaments. I might be okay with it in a 'everyone plays everyone' tournament though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
We do best of 3 at the local shop and we've only had 2 matches ever go to time and both matches involved the same new guy. Now that everyone is familiar with the game we never go to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.