Popular Tags: todo [+] storage [+] @todo [+] [View All]
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I did get a couple of these plastic card holders as shown in use in this thread:

But because I sleeved all my cards, I can't get three of them across, even after breaking the little divider in the middle of each row. So they weren't working very efficiently for me. So I decided to make my own and put up the measurements in case you wanted to make one as well. If you cut efficiently, you only need to buy 2 Foam Boards (Walmart, $1.77 for 20x30x3/16" or 508x762x5mm).

First thing I did was to cut one board's width down to 18.5". Then I drew vertical guidelines so that I knew where to glue the dividers. Check out the photo below to see the measurements in between each guideline. Draw the guidelines the whole length of the board.

Now cut the boards into the following widths (will need to cut into the second board):
EDIT: Oops, the third one from the left should be 1-3/4".

Here's a photo of what it is going to look like with the dimensions. The vertical pieces aren't labeled in the photo but from left to right, it is: 1.5", 1.75", 3", 3", 3", 3", 8".

You will also need to cut a couple more strips corresponding to the widths for the dividers. You will need 5 dividers for each row that you have (except for the lowest row). Once you mark off the dimensions on each side, cut a diagonal to join the two sides.

Now first glue the base to the backside. For long pieces, I use Elmer's white glue with dabs of hot glue on the ends and middle to hold it in place. Then glue the diagonal dividers using the guidelines that you drew earlier to keep them straight. Hot glue for small pieces is fine. It should look like this:

Start to glue each row on top of each other, using the large 8" one first and then going down:

Sorry, I don't have the measurements for the lowest row since it was added on afterwards but I think you can figure it out.

Cut out and attach another 8" x 18.5" piece with 1.5" spacers on the back for the Town Cards and Rulebooks. I placed one center divider in the middle.

Once you are done with all of this, cut out two end pieces according to the dimensions in the photo. You can do smaller than what I made. I wanted to have the option of making a cover that would go over the whole thing and not crinkle up the cards so I made mine taller than need be. Also, you'll notice that I used some scrap pieces to make a side slot for the Hero and Monster cards. It is basically 5" tall, 6" wide and 1.5" deep.

Here's the finished result with a couple slots to spare! These will be filled soon though as soon as my custom-made Town Cards come in (used Klutz's awesome card-maker). In fact, I might need to make another one...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks awesome!

I don't have the patience to do something like that. And Darin wants to play with 3D printing, so he's in the process of 3D printing some SoB card holders. The card holder parts are all the same, with a removable unique piece to identify the decks (and to keep the top stack of cards standing up rather than falling out). 2 holders have been printed (they take about 6 hours each), and several top pieces.

The bat for this one has been reprinted to be a little bit taller. We have a Threat Deck holder printed (tentacles). The minecart top piece for mine cards was printed, but the detail didn't turn out so well so it's being redone. The Targa design is still being worked on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most impressive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
So what are you going to do when we get cards for the new Other Worlds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:

Me want! Although something tells me it's going to be more than $4...laugh

I'm still holding off on getting a 3D printer, waiting for prices to come down. I would also love a laser cutter and a CNC router but other needs keep getting in the way, like buying a car or paying the mortgage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Would've gone for the black foamcore myself and the jagged edges are all over, but this is awesome regardless. Though you have the spare spaces, you're also going to have the other expansion Otherworlds coming after some time, but you've got a year on that stuff anyways. The only reason I probably wouldn't build it is I seem to be moving my copy all over the place and need portability and easy to move containers. It's all plastic containers for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, awesome stuff! It's just... so... big!!

Great write up too!

I'm going to try and make something similar (probably in multiple parts) that'll fit in the box, so it serves a double purpose as a card stand and a box organizer! Hopefully I'll be able to just pull it out of the box and set it down, then just put it back in the box when we're done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
So what are you going to do when we get cards for the new Other Worlds?

Yeah, I was originally going to make it out of wood, inspired by this creation:

But I thought it'd be better to wait until I received all the cards a year from now before making something more permanent. Also, I have another 250+ custom cards on the way from Printer Studio with all of the Town Items, Mutations, Injuries, etc. So I will likely need to make a second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
I'm going to try and make something similar (probably in multiple parts) that'll fit in the box, so it serves a double purpose as a card stand and a box organizer! Hopefully I'll be able to just pull it out of the box and set it down, then just put it back in the box when we're done!

Yeah, I considered doing each row as a separate tray that could be broken down and placed back into the box but realized that I'm not going to be transporting this game anyway so went with a permanent solution. Like I mentioned above, if I do need to transport, I will make a cover that goes over the top of the whole thing but I doubt I will.

If you aren't sleeving your cards, you can definitely be more efficient with measurements and create something that is more portable. If you do, definitely post photos and measurements!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
my plan is to eventually build one out of wood, with a lid. but for now, i am using the 'floor' method as the table is too small for all the cards sheets etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Wow, awesome stuff! It's just... so... big!!

Great write up too!

Klutz,

That is my plan as well. If you come up with a design before I do post it. Otherwise I plan to post mine once I have the time to put it together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bumyong wrote:
Adria wrote:

Me want! Although something tells me it's going to be more than $4...laugh

I'm still holding off on getting a 3D printer, waiting for prices to come down. I would also love a laser cutter and a CNC router but other needs keep getting in the way, like buying a car or paying the mortgage.

I use my work printer... the first one printed off work didn't care, but when i said i wanted more, work was like "wait a minute... you should get some filament for it"

so i had to buy a roll of plastic, but that'll let me print out oodles of stuff...

next project will be a 3d print of the air ship we have in our D&D campaign!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3d printing is awesome, but it's seriously probably not the best solution for a card holder. A card holder is quite large and is just a bunch of flat walls.

I think a foam core or laser cut acrylic/wood solution with a 3d printed decoration on top could be really cool. You could even print out a bunch of decorations and sell them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to do this, as i have a ton of foam board laying around and I cant figure out a good way to organize my play area.

Question - How think of foamboard did you buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
3d printing is awesome, but it's seriously probably not the best solution for a card holder. A card holder is quite large and is just a bunch of flat walls.

I think a foam core or laser cut acrylic/wood solution with a 3d printed decoration on top could be really cool. You could even print out a bunch of decorations and sell them!

We don't plan on transporting our game - if people want to play, they can come to our place!

(Not that that's unusual - we typically host ).

So we just need something to keep the cards organized on the table. The bigger holders are nice because the cards don't tip forward and fall out as they sometimes do in the current holders. And I like the having separate holders for different types of cards - depending on which other world(s) we end up in, we might not need all the holders on the table for a particular game.

Foam core or laser cut acrylic/wood would be neat, but we don't have experience with any of those. And 3D printing is the 'new shiny' right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Would've gone for the black foamcore myself and the jagged edges are all over...

Yeah, I was going to do it in black but it costs twice as much! No, really, my Walmart was out of the black so I did it in white. And yeah, I used a fresh x acto blade and barely angled it but it still chewed up the foam core. Not sure if my technique is wrong that I can't get a clean cut. Someone told me that you need a specific foam board cutter but I looked online and it's almost $50 for the rail and blade set.

I thought about using some kind of white tape over the edges but then remembered this is only temporary until I make a wooden one a year from now after all the 2nd wave cards arrive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumyong wrote:
paddirn wrote:
Would've gone for the black foamcore myself and the jagged edges are all over...

Yeah, I was going to do it in black but it costs twice as much! No, really, my Walmart was out of the black so I did it in white. And yeah, I used a fresh x acto blade and barely angled it but it still chewed up the foam core. Not sure if my technique is wrong that I can't get a clean cut. Someone told me that you need a specific foam board cutter but I looked online and it's almost $50 for the rail and blade set.

I thought about using some kind of white tape over the edges but then remembered this is only temporary until I make a wooden one a year from now after all the 2nd wave cards arrive!

A good, high quality X-Acto knife from a hardware store is all you need really. And a metal ruler.

First time I worked with foam core I used a small knife like this one, from a Michael's-like store:

It worked well, but after a while it wasn't cutting as well, even if I kept breaking off new blades.

Now I use this:

Cuts brilliantly, even after a couple projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

You should still be good with a cutting mat and an x-acto blade. A good practice that I've noticed is to make a few light cuts across the foam core. If you're trying to get it all in one slice, you may have problems if either the blade is old or the cutting mat has seen heavy use. You make one light slice to break the top layer, then about 2 or 3 more to cut through the foam layer, then another on the bottom layer to complete. I've heard of people using both techniques: multiple light cuts vs quick strong slice, but the multiple light cuts approach seems to work well for me. It's probably in the technique, angle, amount of force, and materials being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Quote:

You should still be good with a cutting mat and an x-acto blade. A good practice that I've noticed is to make a few light cuts across the foam core. If you're trying to get it all in one slice, you may have problems if either the blade is old or the cutting mat has seen heavy use. You make one light slice to break the top layer, then about 2 or 3 more to cut through the foam layer, then another on the bottom layer to complete. I've heard of people using both techniques: multiple light cuts vs quick strong slice, but the multiple light cuts approach seems to work well for me. It's probably in the technique, angle, amount of force, and materials being used.

Yep, multiple shallow cuts is the way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:

Och! That was my problem! I was using a utility knife like the one pictured but I was trying to cut through completely with one swipe. Next time, I'll make multiple shallow cuts instead. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumyong wrote:
KevBelisle wrote:

Och! That was my problem! I was using a utility knife like the one pictured but I was trying to cut through completely with one swipe. Next time, I'll make multiple shallow cuts instead. Thanks for the tip!

Glad to help!

Lots of good tips in the 3 videos here:
http://www.orderofgamers.com/using-foamcore-part-1/

They also have foam core plans for many games, that can also serve as a good source of inspiration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Lots of good tips in the 3 videos here:
http://www.orderofgamers.com/using-foamcore-part-1/

They also have foam core plans for many games, that can also serve as a good source of inspiration!

I love that site! It's really well done. I hope the guy that runs it creates an insert for SOB and puts it up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baumgarten
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made one of these and was able to use it tonight for the first time. Absolutely a must for this game. It made the setup and take down a breeze. Will have to make one of these for Firefly next. Then one for Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put this together and finally got it to use last night. I added some counter trays in the front. Love it. Thanks for the plans OP!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Halstead
Canada
Theodore
SASKATCHEWAN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just finished making one of these, very nice design/tutorial, thanks!
I cut many corners and slapped mine together, so its not nearly as nice.blush The only foam board my walmart had in stock was the kind with gridlines on it. I made some real bad cuts and I only had a plastic ruler as a straight edge and my blade was kind of dull. I also went a little wild with glue... my neatness score would be low. It only took me about 3 hours to complete the whole thing, drying time included

But it works! Great way to organize cards for this fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.