Popular Tags: [View All]
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the rule book confusing ?
I picked up this game, and it has taken me about a week of trawling the forum to get it straight in my mind, although I still only have the basics.
It took me the longest time to realise that archers couldn't fight in engagements, lol !
I think is/will be a great game, but I expected to be up and running in 15 minutes. Not me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is *not* just you! The rulebook is kind of horrible, if you ask me. There are some Rules Summary, Cheat Sheet, and Play Summary files in the Files Section that will probably be of some help to you.

I plan on using them next time and I have played this game half-a-dozen times already... I'm sick of endlessly searching through the rulebook.

The convoluted rules are the reason I don't get this out more often. I will also soon try the solitary variant (also presented in the files section).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book isn't great but the game itself is very straightforward. My sons (6 and 9) and I play it regularly. If you have any specific questions go ahead and let them be known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
The rule book isn't great but the game itself is very straightforward. My sons (6 and 9) and I play it regularly. If you have any specific questions go ahead and let them be known.

Yep, I broke it out with my 7 yr old son and he got bored very quickly with my head in the rules trying to figure out the first game.
Most of the questions I have other people have asked so I think I have the basic picture now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxdomina wrote:
It is *not* just you! The rulebook is kind of horrible, if you ask me. There are some Rules Summary, Cheat Sheet, and Play Summary files in the Files Section that will probably be of some help to you.

I plan on using them next time and I have played this game half-a-dozen times already... I'm sick of endlessly searching through the rulebook.

The convoluted rules are the reason I don't get this out more often. I will also soon try the solitary variant (also presented in the files section).

OK, good to know I am not going crazy.
Referring to the black and white dice & engagements in the rules to me seems a convoluted way of saying archers can't attack in melee combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook for the first set of PB is actually quite poorly written (my fault). From the second set (OvE) on, we revised the formatting and wording of almost everything, but without changing any rule. So you'd better download the rulebook of the second set to figure out better how to play PB (because yes, it's actually easier to play than to explain).

http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Pocket_Battles_Orcs_vs_Elves....

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pa°L° wrote:
The rulebook for the first set of PB is actually quite poorly written (my fault). From the second set (OvE) on, we revised the formatting and wording of almost everything, but without changing any rule. So you'd better download the rulebook of the second set to figure out better how to play PB (because yes, it's actually easier to play than to explain).

Have fun!

If you see this I may as well take this chance to thank you for this game. My sons, especially my nine year old, and I love it. We've spent hours and hours using your design. So, thank you, and congratulations, for and on, this great little gem.

OH, and, for the record, could you dip into the Civil War set's forum (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16263688#16263688) and settle our nagging questions on the likely misprints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pa°L° wrote:

Have fun!

The only rulebooks on the Zman site now are Celts vs Romans and Macedonians vs Persians. Are either of those written with the revised language?

The Celts rulebook was absolutely horrible. Wasted so much time wading through rules just to seemingly play them wrong as written. The game is NOT that straightforward as others mention. Gave up on it then. Want to try it one more time to see if we will keep it or get rid of it.

Any help on revised/clear rules would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.