nik butler
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This popped up on twitter and has me wondering about the slow rise of playtest and design culture from Coder Dojos to Maker Fayres modern society is making more time for games and the ODI are getting a little meta about it.

http://opendataboardgame.github.io/about/

Extracts from the article include

Why a board game?
Board games communicate complex ideas in simple ways. They’re tactile, social, offer fresh ways of communicating fairly uninteresting themes (trading wheat and sheep anyone??), and sometimes, if they’re good, Kim Kardashian might buy one.

Well, how do we go about starting this?
Good question. At the moment, we’re trying to tease out how an open data board game might actually work. What’s a good game narrative about open data? How would we set the scene? What’s a good board game mechanic for this kind of game? Has someone already posted about “steps to building a board game” on the internet? As a start, we can:

use the board game night at the ODI as an opportunity to revisit our favourite games, try new ones and think about narratives and ways in which an open data board game could work
have a brainstorming trello card or google document, where we suggest ideas (however developed), link to influences and examples of “success stories”
Set ourselves a date (i.e. end of January) to reflect on the ideas that have been put forward, and select one or two to workshop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be interesting to see if they (does it include you, Nik?) can make something interesting out of open data... Persuading data creators to actually publish their data... in a usable and maintainable format... with appropriate metadata... in a repository that manages the lifecycle properly... minting a DOI...

This is actually sounding a bit like My Wife: the Board Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nik butler
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oh gosh no I dont work for them. Im far too mundane a web user. I just spotted this on twitter from a friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they're better at explaining their game than they are at explaining their organization:

Quote:
The Open Data Institute is catalysing the evolution of open data culture to create economic, environmental, and social value. It helps unlock supply, generates demand, creates and disseminates knowledge to address local and global issues.

We convene world-class experts to collaborate, incubate, nurture and mentor new ideas, and promote innovation. We enable anyone to learn and engage with open data, and empower our teams to help others through professional coaching and mentoring.

Completely clear, provided you already know what 'open data' is, and therefore already know what the organization does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nik butler
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clearly the first Data set opened was . A Thesaurus.

Then again what games are not guilty of failing to explain themseleves. We need only look to the box of Lewis & Clark to see that there is no explanation as to the game in any useful sense. Splendor does no better. [ disclosure I own and enjoy both ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other extracts from the article include:

Quote:

sometimes, if they’re good, Kim Kardashian might buy one.

In the original document, this statement links to an article about someone being given a custom Monopoly set, which suggests that they're conflating "good" with "popular".

Quote:
As the board game enthusiast Tupac Shakur said, “I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it’s my turn to leave”. That’s the kind of enthusiasm we want to channel into players of our open data board game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read this as [another Monopoly reference and] a statement of materialist desire-for-money rather than anything remotely positive about board games.

I guess my question is: are these guys really serious about making a fun board game, or have they decided that - in their own words,

Quote:
it’s pretty clear board games are hip right now. They’re in Hackney!

and they want to get in on that hipness? Because that's rarely a good starting point to make something awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.