Subject: City building after soldiering, Colossus, Final Golden Age rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Although for the most part I found the rules to be easy-going, a few minor points cropped up:

1. After you've cleared an area of any opponent's playing pieces during a soldiering action, you are allowed to construct a city there (the rules state, IIRC, 'as if executing action 1.b'). Do you then also get any points or money for taking possession of the area's resource symbol as well as erecting the city depending on how you developed your own board?

2. The activation of the Colossus wonder means 'obtain 1 VP', correct? Initially I interpreted it as 'obtain 1 VP per placed cube' (analogous to the card's immediate effect), but halfway through the game this netted me such extraordinary amounts of VP that I paid back what I'd obtained and followed the former interpretation.

3. Not so much a question about something being unclear, but more of a question of rationale: why the sudden end-rule pertaining to the Golden Age of the 4th and final game era? The game is obviously constructed to allow the players to reap the benefits of their earlier investments at that point in time... but there is no incentive whatsoever for someone in the lead at the end of era 3 to see what happens in era 4. There may be a few shifts in terms of VP, but at worst everybody gets but 2 more turns. Considering the number of actions in a turn, this represents a substantial loss of actions. So: why was the rule as written introduced, and what would happen if the 4th era was completed like the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

2. The activation of the Colossus wonder means 'obtain 1 VP', correct? Initially I interpreted it as 'obtain 1 VP per placed cube' (analogous to the card's immediate effect), but halfway through the game this netted me such extraordinary amounts of VP that I paid back what I'd obtained and followed the former interpretation.

Colossus is explained in detail on the player aid:

Colossus
Cost: 3 Gold / 2 Gold if
you own Phoenicia
(instant) You receive 2 VPs
for each of your cubes on
the map.
(activate) You receive 1 VP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

1. After you've cleared an area of any opponent's playing pieces during a soldiering action, you are allowed to construct a city there (the rules state, IIRC, 'as if executing action 1.b'). Do you then also get any points or money for taking possession of the area's resource symbol as well as erecting the city depending on how you developed your own board?

Yes, according to this post from the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Ferrini
Italy
Castagneto Carducci
Livorno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

Yes, you take all the benefits of taking control of a new resource, exactly as for the "explorer" action.

Quote:

Yes, the activation of Colossus/Pyramids/Hanging Gardens is "Take 1 VP". This activation effect is not related to the "immediate" power.

Quote:

3. Not so much a question about something being unclear, but more of a question of rationale: why the sudden end-rule pertaining to the Golden Age of the 4th and final game era? The game is obviously constructed to allow the players to reap the benefits of their earlier investments at that point in time... but there is no incentive whatsoever for someone in the lead at the end of era 3 to see what happens in era 4. There may be a few shifts in terms of VP, but at worst everybody gets but 2 more turns. Considering the number of actions in a turn, this represents a substantial loss of actions. So: why was the rule as written introduced, and what would happen if the 4th era was completed like the others?

I'm glad that you asked for this rule, because I saw that some people don't liked it... and I wonder why.
Maybe one thing is not clear to everybody: you cannot pass until you've used all your colonists.
At the 4th era you have (in the worst case) at least 4 actions, 5 if you play earlier than the player who passes: if a player uses all his colonists and then passes, he plays 4 actions. If he is the first player, also all the others players have 4 action; if he is not the first, all the players before him have another action.
Actually, in my experience is very rare that a player passes at his 4th action, so usually in the last round all the players have 7-8 action.

So there is the way to do many things... but sadly not all that you want. Therefore, at the end of the game you have to make some interesting choices: risk another turn hoping nobody passes or try hurrying? Believe me, the last era is not so quick! Try it again and you'll see that I'm right! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:

Yesyes, I have read the card aid too. Multiple times, in fact, even in different languages... but only when I realised something was not quite right. That is why I asked the question: initially I only looked at the card's iconography (which is very good, by the way, kudos to the graphic designer), and I sort-of glossed over the '+'. You are kindly requested to note that the '+' is far from a common symbol so that an initial guess really is not challenged quickly. So with that faulty foundation in mind, I interpreted the text on the aid as shorthand for 'do the above, but only receive 1 VP per cube'. Fortunately the effect as I applied it is so mind-bogglingly out of whack that I realised my error mid-way. But still, best to be sure.

Lupigi wrote:
Maybe one thing is not clear to everybody: you cannot pass until you've used all your colonists.

This certainly had escaped my attention. Well, that's not entirely true: it sort-of escaped my attention en route to the finish. In my defense it was late, and copious amounts of semi-professionally small-scale brewed beer had been involved. It didn't occur to me to check the rules to see for any loopholes in my knowledge. Yes, having 4 actions minimum makes matters a lot more palatable. Definitely something to be aware of the next time the game is played or explained.

The sad moral of these questions: don't drink and game, lads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:

Yesyes, I have read the card aid too. Multiple times, in fact, even in different languages... but only when I realised something was not quite right. That is why I asked the question: initially I only looked at the card's iconography (which is very good, by the way, kudos to the graphic designer), and I sort-of glossed over the '+'. You are kindly requested to note that the '+' is far from a common symbol so that an initial guess really is not challenged quickly. So with that faulty foundation in mind, I interpreted the text on the aid as shorthand for 'do the above, but only receive 1 VP per cube'. Fortunately the effect as I applied it is so mind-bogglingly out of whack that I realised my error mid-way. But still, best to be sure.

Lupigi wrote:

This certainly had escaped my attention. Well, that's not entirely true: it sort-of escaped my attention en route to the finish. In my defense it was late, and copious amounts of semi-professionally small-scale brewed beer had been involved. It didn't occur to me to check the rules to see for any loopholes in my knowledge. Yes, having 4 actions minimum makes matters a lot more palatable. Definitely something to be aware of the next time the game is played or explained.

The sad moral of these questions: don't drink and game, lads.

I appreciate the advise but it is advise that I will not follow, as I enjoy savoring my cold beer while I ponder what my next move is going to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.