Fleet» Forums » General

Subject: Fleet vs San Juan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet is very high on my purchase list but now the reprint of San Juan has come out and I'm feeling like they take up a similar slot.

I'm definitely getting Fleet no matter what happens because it can clearly be enjoyed more by gamers, my question is this though: can Fleet also replace San Juan? They both have multi-use cards, are fairly light games with inoffensive themes.

So I'm looking at picking up the new San Juan but I keep thinking, if I got Fleet would I need this? Or would it just sit on the shelf gathering dust. I realise Fleet is slightly more complex, but it also has a cooler theme and more depth. Should I just skip San Juan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:
Should I just skip San Juan?

If you want to restrict yourself to only one of these two games - here's a "yes" from me.

Although I own both, I play both and I enjoy both. And I wouldn't call them similar meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I personally think that San Juan is the better game of the two (not to imply that Fleet is in any way a bad game), but aside from the multi-use cards the play as quite different games. I just feel that the choices/options are more meaningful in SJ, plus you can better adapt your strategy mid-game if you need to. Then there are also the ties to Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy.

Have you considered RftG? In a lot of ways it plays like San Juan on steroids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree they fill similar niches. I like both, but I think San Juan works better for casual gamers, whereas Fleet is a little more challenging (just a little). Fleet's expansion also requires a bit of card sorting, which is a nuisance.

As for Race for the Galaxy, it's great, but I find it difficult to find people who are willing to learn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Fleet has replaced San Juan. The main reason for that is that Fleet feels like it has more strategic options. Going back to San Juan after playing Fleet, we felt strategy was too dictated by randomness of the deck in San Juan.

Put another way, you're playing the other players more in Fleet, and you're playing the cards more in San Juan.

Fleet doesn't feel any more difficult to teach, and I think it offers more interesting tactical decisions, and more choice in long term strategy. It does look more complicated due to the several types of cards.

I'll agree with the card sorting problem with the expansion. Though you could potentially eliminate this in Fleet by having players redraw any boat cards for licenses that aren't in use. Generally, San Juan is easier to setup. Just shuffle everything and go.

In closing, if you get Fleet you wouldn't NEED San Juan. If you can afford both, San Juan would still be a decent purchase. If anyone else has a copy of San Juan in your regular gaming group, I'd definitely skip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:
Fleet is very high on my purchase list but now the reprint of San Juan has come out and I'm feeling like they take up a similar slot.

I'm definitely getting Fleet no matter what happens because it can clearly be enjoyed more by gamers, my question is this though: can Fleet also replace San Juan? They both have multi-use cards, are fairly light games with inoffensive themes.

So I'm looking at picking up the new San Juan but I keep thinking, if I got Fleet would I need this? Or would it just sit on the shelf gathering dust. I realise Fleet is slightly more complex, but it also has a cooler theme and more depth. Should I just skip San Juan?

I like both games. I REALLY like Fleet. The art, gameplay, theme, and production quality are all excellent. I don't really think they fill the same game space however. San Juan is really about role selection and resource management, Fleet is about auctions and Hand management - a different kind of resource management, I grant you, but you aren't just thinking about spending cards as money, you need boats and captains as well.

Both are great, Fleet is one of my few 10-rated games. I would give San Juan an 8.

Good luck and enjoy whichever one you choose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For my wife and I, we like San Juan (with expansion) more than Fleet. But I definitely love both and they are both in my 'quick-and-easy' games bag to bring to game groups.

The games play in a similar weight class, but are actually quite different in practice. Fleet is fundamentally an auction game, whereas San Juan is more of a hand-management game.

So really, you could easily have both, and Fleet is so compact, it's hard to say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I have more information but am no closer to making a decision.

I think if it turns out San Juan (second edition) is gonna be in print for a while, I'll hold off on it. Otherwise I might snatch it up while I can. It does look like a good game in it's own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ZeeDeveel wrote:
I feel like I have more information but am no closer to making a decision.

I think if it turns out San Juan (second edition) is gonna be in print for a while, I'll hold off on it. Otherwise I might snatch it up while I can. It does look like a good game in it's own right.

If you have an Android or iOS device, you can always try the app version of San Juan. At 30-40% of the price of the physical game, though, it's not exactly bargain-of-the-year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, and like, both.

Whatever you get, make sure you get the expansions for them, as they really flesh out both games.

The main difference with both is that FLEET is much more modular and you will not see all cards per game, and this means a lot of replayability (I have practically all the expansion and promo cards, except 1 kickstarter exclusive dock card). SAN JUAN is more accessible though and makes for a quicker playing game. It also is better for 2P so if you play 2P most of the time get SAN JUAN, since fleet requires a "robot" or "dummy" player to be a good 2P game. On the other hand, FLEET has auctions where you can really "squeeze out" other players, so if you play with 3-4 players often and want a more interactive game FLEET is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I believe the new San Juan (second edition) comes with all the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
It comes with new buildings (the important one) but no events (less important).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
It comes with new buildings (the important one) but no events (less important).

The events are a ton of fun though! TAX Relief!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
I have, and like, both.

Whatever you get, make sure you get the expansions for them, as they really flesh out both games.

The main difference with both is that FLEET is much more modular and you will not see all cards per game, and this means a lot of replayability (I have practically all the expansion and promo cards, except 1 kickstarter exclusive dock card). SAN JUAN is more accessible though and makes for a quicker playing game. It also is better for 2P so if you play 2P most of the time get SAN JUAN, since fleet requires a "robot" or "dummy" player to be a good 2P game. On the other hand, FLEET has auctions where you can really "squeeze out" other players, so if you play with 3-4 players often and want a more interactive game FLEET is it.

I am curious about which game is the better 2p experience if you include the Artic Bounty expansion with Fleet?

I already own and love RftG (one of my top 5 games, and one I would look into) and play regularly with my son.
However; I am looking for a game that I could play 2p with my wife and or daughter as well since RftG doesn't appeal to either of them.
My wife and I also play a lot of games at cafes so I am wondering if either game would work in that situation.

I have actually played Fleet with 2 and enjoyed it, but I am curious if San Juan offers as good a 2p experience as RftG does.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers,
Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
I have, and like, both.

I am curious about which game is the better 2p experience if you include the Artic Bounty expansion with Fleet?

I already own and love RftG (one of my top 5 games, and one I would look into) and play regularly with my son.
However; I am looking for a game that I could play 2p with my wife and or daughter as well since RftG doesn't appeal to either of them.
My wife and I also play a lot of games at cafes so I am wondering if either game would work in that situation.

I have actually played Fleet with 2 and enjoyed it, but I am curious if San Juan offers as good a 2p experience as RftG does.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers,
Will

The dummy player mechanic actually comes from the Fleet: Arctic Bounty expansion, and you have a choice of 2 captains as the dummy player. While I admit that I have not played it as a 2P game, the fact that you have to monitor the actions of the dummy player does not appeal to me. I also feel that auction games are better if you have more players.

I have played San Juan 2P, and its a great game. The only change is that the governor has 1 more action than the other player, and thus the 2P experience is smooth. I would say go for SAN JUAN since it makes a great intro to Race for the Galaxy (although it is a grreat game in its own right!), so your wife and daughter may get to try out RFTG if they like SAN JUAN. It also has a slightly smaller table footprint than FLEET, has no small cubes/meeples (unlike FLEET where you have to track fish crates) and plays faster, thus makes a good cafe game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.