Navajo Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: How does a scenarion end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Slater
Malta
flag msg tools
I must have missed this!

I am playing my first 'proper' scenario after trying out the various tutorials and I am not sure (never have been) just how scenarios actually end. Some help would be appreciated.

Also, what mechanism activates a Victory Check please? Does every 'Historical Card' promulgate such a check?

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norwegian Singbird
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I can think of three ways for a scenario to end.

1) Automatic defeat: During a VP check, if both your culture and military are 0 (step 3), you automatically lose.
2) Automatic victory: At the end of a turn, if the enemy morale is 0, you have a chance to automatically win. See section 12 of the rules. Remember, this happens at the end of the turn, not when enemy morale reaches 0 and not at the end of your operations segment nor at the end of the enemy operations segment.
3) Scenario ends: A scenario ends when the last historical/transitional event card has been resolved. I think the special rules for each of these explicitly say a scenario ends.

Yes, a VP check is performed at the end of every historical event using the value listed. The cards say, for example: "8 VP check." So first you do everything else directed by the card and lastly do the VP check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario set up will describe what happens when the scenario ends. Basically a scenario will tell you to include a certain number of Historical Cards. Each time a historical card is revealed, the player can either go though the VP check segment or choose to skip it (at a penalty).

At anytime during the game a player could achieve an automatic victory in the discard phase by having the enemy morale at 0 and a non zero military power.

If you make it far enough that the final Historical card is revealed, you complete one more VP check (or skip it again). The scenario is then over and you can see how you did in the scenario description. You will typically subtract enemy morale from your military strength for a final score. The book will tell you if you have a Major Victory, Minor Victory, etc.

I hope that helps. Just check the rulebook sections on automatic victory, what do do when a historical card is revealed, and re-read the end of your scenario section to find out what final score you are aiming at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Slater
Malta
flag msg tools
Thanks guys.

As my 1st tentative steps are made with the game, I am finding that I am doing things without really knowing what the 'cause or effect' of my actions will be in terms of overall, long term strategy.....but I suspect that the learning of every new game gives rise to this problem.

Making mistakes and not quite knowing the effect of actions are all part of the learning processes of life itself and how pleasing it is to see that this game simply reflects that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
How does a scenario end? For me, usually in defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
How does a scenario end? For me, usually in defeat.

Took the words out of my mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.