Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Nicomedes chose to activate his hoplites and ordered the advance. Several units excited to receive glory bolted sprinting toward the Athenians, while others were hesitate; thus creating a chaotic wave of spears.

Spartan gods favored Nicomedes as he gained momentum and used it to lure the Thessaly Cavalry to join his ranks.

Athenian commander, Myronidas, seizes the opportunity of momentum and shouts out the order to advance. Myronidas leads his hoplites into a deadly clash on the Athenian right wing.

The hoplites from Argos forming the center of the Athenian line eager to receive their baptism by fire rush forward into the fray. Spears flash, crack, snap, and rip through flesh! Spartan resolve is stronger and force the men from Argos to flee the field; war is not so glorious for Argos. The Athenian far left wing advances at a walk; one unit wheels to challenge the traitorous Thessaly Cavalry. Myronidas is able to control more stable advance on the right which results in the weakening of the Corinth and Sicyon hoplites on the Spartan left.

As the Spartans are shocked by the boldness of the Athenians, Myronidas urges his men onward, and personally leads his unit to wheel and crash into the flank of the Corinth hoplites at the far left of the Sparta line. Athenian spears slice through the ranks like a scythe through grain, reaping death and agony. The devastation causes panic to surge amoung the ranks of Corinthians and Sicyonians. Sparta's left wing crumbles and flees the battlefield.

The Spartan right is able to hold as the Athenians push the attack.

The destruction of the Spartan left forces Nicomedes to withdraw his remaining hoplites from the field, returning to Sparta a disgrace.

End of turn 1: Route Points 38 Sparta and 10 Athenians.

Sparta wasted the momentum on Thessaly Cavalry. These units play no factor in the fray. Sparta is outnumbered and only has really one unit superior to any of the Athenians (Spartan HO unit with red triangle). Units which roll a run result on initial move become weak with high dierolls as they advance. The more numerous Athenians can easily outflank the Spartans on one flank or the other and win.
Sparta might be better off deferring first move to the Athenians....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting, I have played this scenario 3 times and had 3 Spartan wins always ending after the second turn.

From reading your report it looked as if an Athenian unit was routed (10 RP'S) But just remember that the TQ's of the cavalry need to be added to the the Athenian rout points too for them going over to the Spartans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes you are correct.....cavalry is counted against Athens....final Route points 38 Sparta 20 Athens...still a Spartan Withdraw......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So what was your strategy with Spartans that provided their victories?

I have Athenians winning both my solo battles....both after only one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session ! Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alot really depends of the chit draw, but being able to act twice in a row really helps, providing the first activation gets you into contact.

I do find being the side that makes contact first to give a small edge though very helpful if it can be backed up.

Sounds like you are getting successful rolls on those momentum chits too if you are ending the game after the first turn. (very lucky rolls since you need a 2 or less to activate)

My games go a bit longer as I may only get 1 or 2 momentum activation in the game (1 normally for flipping the cav, which I normally try and do will the Athenians are at some distance and if this fails I then try at the end of a turn if the spartan momentum chit is the last to be pulled to gain a quick few rout points before the rout phase)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...oh and the dice gods seem to have a lot to say in this scenario, I seem to remember the Spartans getting some very lucky rolls at the right time in most of the games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What happens in my plays: sparta goes first and advances with several units running causing multiple tq hits and then athens activates and moves to make contact causing spartan units to roll vs tq and then shock taking some further tqs and several spartan units routing and game over....only takes three hoplites routed to rsach spartan withdraw level
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlucky to get 3 units at a run then also (not sure if you were saying they each took multiple hits, but if you fail the TQ for the run you only take a maxium of 1 hit for each fail)

Something else you could try is to setup the Spartans a bit further back, they can be setup between 4400 and 3900.

Or maybe draw the spartan momentum marker for the first chit try to flip the cav then see how the rest of the chits are drawn, more likely chance the Athenians will have to move first then.

So try playing around with the setup and how the Spartans first act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also as I see from your session the Spartans drew the momentum chit after they had just played their hoplite one. Things may have gone very differnt if you had chosen to advance the hoplites again instead of flip the cav.

The other thing Im a little confussed about is one of the Spartan units at a run has 2 cohesion hits on it (before the Athenians have moved) But im pretty sure this unit would have only needed to make 1 TQ roll if it passed (rolled less than it TQ) then no cohesion hits, bit if it fails no matter how much by it only takes 1 hit.

Pretty unlucky for all the Spartans to have a hit since they need to roll more than 6 on their checks to fail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
If activated a second time in a turn, hoplites should incur 1 cohesion hit if they expend any movement points.

True, though in the session reported the Hoplite chit activated the Spartans to advance, then the 2nd Spartan activation (momentum) was used to fip the cav yet one of the Hoplites has 2 hits on it and they only moved once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Error on my part understanding rule 6.24 run....must make tq check at end of each move.....I was rolling after each hex entered......duh!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good, im still finding some things im doing wrong.
I have been thinking of playing out a scenario while filming it (well bits of it) so people who are not use to the GBoH series like myself can see how the rules interact when playing, and also has the added bonus of picking up an errors in how im playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trying to adjust from GBoH Alexander and also been playing variety of other stuff- NBS series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doing a session report and then reading comments left by other players sheds light on areas of where I was playing incorrectly. A great learning experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first GBoH title but im looking forward to Alexander being re printed.

Also I have had my eye on war galley, have you played that one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never played war galley.

I have Alexander....i like the tyrant module battles better than the Alexander ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can get Alexander on ebay.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.