United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The revolutionary year 1989 and life under communism – in games

"Máme holé ruce (Our hands are empty) and Havel na Hrad (Havel to the Castle): those are just two of many slogans to be forever associated with the Velvet Revolution, which began 25 years ago this week in Czechoslovakia, eventually toppling the communist regime. Those slogans also feature on the box of a highly-acclaimed board game based on those turbulent days called 1989: Dawn of Freedom. Created by Chicago-based designer Ted Torgerson the title, aptly enough, saw its Czech release earlier this year."

Hear the entire report:

http://radio.cz/en/section/special/the-revolutionary-year-19...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a fun, informative 14 minutes. Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, remember those times

I was nearly 10 years old back then (being born early in 1980 makes the counting easy ) and remember my parents going multiple times to demonstrations, bringing keys to rattle and cling them on the streets and squares...

Later us kids stopped being "pioneers" (not sure if this equivalent is used in english - for the youth organization in the communist regime) and the pictures on the walls were exchanged, while the teachers stopped being called "comrade teacher" and became just "mr./ms. teacher"...

Oh yeah, and stores slowly became "real" stores where you did not have to stand in a long line since early morning to try to buy a piece of meat for the coming sunday dinner. Or to watch a handful of oranges being bought out by the lucky few.

Good times, good memories (after the fall of communist regime).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Yeah, remember those times

I was nearly 10 years old back then (being born early in 1980 makes the counting easy ) and remember my parents going multiple times to demonstrations, bringing keys to rattle and cling them on the streets and squares...

Later us kids stopped being "pioneers" (not sure if this equivalent is used in english - for the youth organization in the communist regime) and the pictures on the walls were exchanged, while the teachers stopped being called "comrade teacher" and became just "mr./ms. teacher"...

Oh yeah, and stores slowly became "real" stores where you did not have to stand in a long line since early morning to try to buy a piece of meat for the coming sunday dinner. Or to watch a handful of oranges being bought out by the lucky few.

Good times, good memories (after the fall of communist regime).
Thanks for sharing your memories. Being an American (and 27 years old in 1989) I remember rejoicing, also. The whole world turned toward Europe and stood amazed.

As mentioned in the podcast, most of the times many people experience the same thing--a moment in time embedded in our consciousness--it is tragic. But this was the opposite. As you said, good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few years before (83-86) I had been stationed in Germany in an Army unit. To say that things were tense and intense is an understatement. We took very seriously to possibility of a war. They took us to the border to see the watchtowers. Very sobering.

The events of the late 80s that led up to 89 still give me goosebumps. It was stunning at the time and looking back on it I am still amazed that the Communist regimes allowed themselves to collapse without a last throw of the dice. It still seem miraculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just my historically unfounded oppinion, but I think that the Central European communist regimes were living only in a (slowing) momentum and the collapse was inevitable (especially as also in the Soviet Union changes were slowly creeping in). Had it not begun in November 1989 in Czechoslovakia, it would start elsewhere very soon and the Central European countries would not oppose it strongly as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls