Subject: Nuclear Weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
How could nuclear weapons be realistically simulated in a game like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Heac0ck
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burn the game board!! devil

Seriously though, given the scale of the map, make cells unusable for the remainder of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Avila
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go with god, and fight like the devil
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games of this genre considered use of nuclear weapons to be a catastrophic loss - both for society as a whole and in game terms. Use of nukes meant you were conceding that you couldn't win with conventional forces. Victory Games' NATO: The Next War in Europe allowed use of tactical nukes but with very severe penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
spleek wrote:
Burn the game board!! devil

Seriously though, given the scale of the map, make cells unusable for the remainder of the game?

Not if it's an air burst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
TXLawDog wrote:
Most games of this genre considered use of nuclear weapons to be a catastrophic loss - both for society as a whole and in game terms. Use of nukes meant you were conceding that you couldn't win with conventional forces. Victory Games' NATO: The Next War in Europe allowed use of tactical nukes but with very severe penalties.

Not necessarily. You could use a limited strike in order to achieve a breakthrough, but you're right: there should be some severe political consequences for resorting to nuclear weapons. What would they be? How 'bout an escalation scale? The more tac and theater nukes you use the greater the likelihood of a strategic exchange?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
I completed some home rules for the use of nuclear weapons. Haven't play tested them yet.

Similar to the chemical weapon asset marker in the game, tac-nukes may be employed by both sides but only after the NATO player uses them first. Tac-nukes are an asset marker just like any other. Tac-nukes may be assigned to units like other asset markers, but may not be combined with any other asset marker in an attack. That is you can assign a tac-nuke and, for example, an artillery asset to a game piece, but the tac-nuke may not be combined with the artillery asset in an attack. Tac-nukes function independently of all other asset markers. The US receives four tac-nuke asset markers and Soviet forces receive three tac-nuke asset markers. Tac-nukes function in the following manner:

Adds +3 to the Attack Rating of the employing unit/game piece; not affected by terrain. An enemy unit/game piece is destroyed on a die roll of ‘1, 2 or 3’; any other result within the modified Attack Rating an enemy unit/game piece is reduced (or Broken Down (BKDN)) to an Attack Rating of ‘2’, all asset markers are discarded, and the affected unit is considered stunned or suppressed for one turn; place the unit/game piece face down on the board; it may not move or attack but may defend itself in a normal attack and may retreat as normal.

A tac-nuke asset marker is like any other in the game; that is if a unit/game piece sustains a hit from an enemy unit/game piece other than a nuclear attack, the defending player may discard either the tac-nuke asset marker or another asset marker in lieu of taking a hit. Note political ramifications of using tac nuckes: when tac-nukes are used, chemical weapons may be freely employed by either side with the same restrictions stipulated in the game. However, if tac-nukes are employed by US/USSR, East AND West German troops are immediately with drawn from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
What's the difference between chemical weapons and nuclear weapons?

One goes 'poof' while the other goes 'BOOM'!devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Avila
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the Polish government, we now know that at least one Warsaw Pact plan assumed that nuclear weapons would be used from the outset - in what I consider a suicidally-implausible NATO first strike. They reasoned that NATO would use tactical nukes to take out the bridges over the Vistula and Oder rivers, cutting off Soviet and Polish reinforcements from reaching the front. They estimated 2 million immediate Polish civilian deaths and the destruction of that country as an entity. They planned to use nuclear weapons in West Germany from Day 1 to break NATO fortifications. No estimate of German civilian deaths was made, but I think "horrific" would be a safe bet.

I'm not a sentimental guy, but it disgusts me that people seriously contemplated this.

P.S. For details, do a search for the Pact war plan titled Seven Days to the River Rhine.

Edited to correct spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
President Reagan actually met people in the Pentagon that believed nuclear war winnable. He thought they were crazy.

I haven't seen this forum in a while. I haven't had an opportunity to play test my idea of nuclear weapons in the game.

I've seen the map for Seven days to the Rhine River. Very disturbing. One would think a show of force like that would have precipitated a global nuclear war.

The 'real shock and awe'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Avila
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot see how it wouldn't. Even a "limited" exchange like this would have had longer-lasting consequences and more societal disruption than the Thirty Years War and Black Death combined.

What I found most monstrous was the Soviet inclusion of Roskilde, Denmark. They acknowledged in the plan that it had no military value, but would incinerate it merely to terrify the Danes and break their morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
So! Back to the game. Do you think nuclear weapons in 'Red Storm Rising' is a playable option or a game killer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.