Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically - "in real life" I would have thought Awings would be better barrel rollers than tie fighters - just based on their design and the way I picture them being able to spin around on their axis.

But FFG chose to give them a boost not a BR.
I just find it odd.

Anybody else ever thought this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I thought it was a little odd. I'm sure they had their reasons, some sort of balance issue I imagine.

And just for kicks, wanted to clarify something as maybe it'll make more sense. You said:
Rik Biel wrote:
I picture them being able to spin around on their axis.

But what you are describing is an Aileron roll (Star Fox got it wrong calling it a barrel roll) here is a diagram:

The aileron roll keeps you basically in the same spot, where a barrel roll twists you around like you were in a barrel (which is where the lateral movement comes from). Maybe the A-wings are fast but not as agile to do that kind of twisty sweeping motion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool - thanks for that
Yes - I agree it was a balance issue - interesting stuff !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Rik Biel wrote:
But FFG chose to give them a boost not a BR.
I just find it odd.

Anybody else ever thought this?

Yup.

There are some odd decisions FFG made that don't feel 100% but they are overlooked because of all the things they got right with this game. I'd say X-Wing about 95% awesome.

Back to your point, between all the rebel ships you'd think the agile A-Wing would get the barrel roll before the B-Wing. The X-Wing is supposed to be an agile ship yet in this game acts like a lumbering gun ship and is less positional than the B-Wing.

I recently took the Tie Advanced out for a spin and forgot it had no 1 forward. You'd think a heavier Uber Tie variant would be able to do that (and it really hampers the ships effectiveness).

You can only fit 2 people onto a Falcon. Imperial Boba Fett's ability is rather lame and not the most thematic. The E-Wing is so friggin ugly it hurts just to looks at it. These are all little things that bother me about the game.

But those things are nit picks and obviously the designers are looking for game balance first and foremost. Although, they have put out some great thematic cards too, like Porkins, C-3P0, Lando, scum Boba to name some favorites.

What can be done. Nothing is perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
...Maybe the A-wings are fast but not as agile to do that kind of twisty sweeping motion.

Aside from balance issues, the A-Wings were supposed to be difficult to fly, and only the best pilots got to test them and fly them. Probably an issue of the engine being too powerful for the size of the ship. Great speed, but hard to handle (and do tricky maneuvers in...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
redjack11 wrote:

Probably an issue of the engine being too powerful for the size of the ship.

If they were the fastest ship (move 6?) I'd be happy with that as a reason, but sadly that isn't the case. I think it comes down to game balance vs fluff.

I'm not whining, I understand the limits of game design, I'm just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But they can. Use of the "expert handling" upgrade card.

Yes. The barrel roll is different from an aileron roll. The barrel roll will displace the craft about the longitudinal axis, which is what the game simulates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Make friends with Jake Farrell if you want to Roll in a Barrel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:
But they can. Use of the "expert handling" upgrade card.

And especially combined with A-Wing Test Pilot it is even "free".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they just didn't have enough room on the card for another action. No other ship has more than 4 actions printed on the card. They had to have focus and TL. Boost was brand new so that was a no-brainer. It came down to either evade or barrel roll. Barrel roll had an EPT so they chose to use evade. Just my speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green 5 and boost is up there for top speed. The Falcon in the game certainly doesn't fit with that picture...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
redjack11 wrote:

Probably an issue of the engine being too powerful for the size of the ship.

If they were the fastest ship (move 6?) I'd be happy with that as a reason, but sadly that isn't the case. I think it comes down to game balance vs fluff.

I'm not whining, I understand the limits of game design, I'm just saying.

I think they still captured this, since the A-wing has a green 5 straight and can boost (e.g. could theoretically fly at speed 5 and use PtL to Boost AND Focus/TL/Evade every turn), while the TIE Interceptor's 5 is white (e.g. has to take breaks between 5-straights if using PtL on a regular basis).

FFG wanted the factions to have some overall flavour. In early waves especially, the factions felt different:
- Imperial = high maneuverability and lots of reposition actions, high agility, low hit point "glass cannons," strength in numbers;
- Rebel = less maneuverability, lower agility, heavily shielded with lots of hit points, lots of action stacking/sharing and synergistic abilities.

With scum, they're adding an "every man for himself," "win at all costs" faction that flies against the "stay in formation" strategies that tended to be dominant for the other factions.

In general, the small Imperial ships can barrel roll, but lack in the action stacking/sharing department compared to Rebels, so barrel rolling or boosting often means not being able to Focus. Meanwhile the Rebels usually can't barrel roll - unless they take the Expert Handling EPT and will take stress when they do the maneuver. B-wings and E-wings are the primary exceptions so far; Jake's A-wing can barrel roll, and Tycho + PtL + Expert Handling is pretty good at it, as the stress doesn't matter to him.

Of course, the Falcon with Engine Upgrade is "the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy." whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Of course, the Falcon with Engine Upgrade is "the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy." whistle

Lol. Yup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
While A-wing should probably be able to barrel roll, but for gameplay reasons - something had to go due to having only 4 action slots (and 5 available actions) and I think denying the rebels a ship that can both boost and barrel roll (but can TL) is part of the rebel identity.

The biggest thematic misstep imo is making the falcon dial (and YT-2400 dial by extention) as good as it is. The above relative speed/maneuverability chart clearly shows its maneuverability is low (similar to Bwing). The 1-turns are what I have the biggest issue with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.