Popular Tags: [View All]
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just seems way too strong and way undercosted relative to the other tracks. Youre basically getting tons of extra free actions (most of which are generating victory points). It seems to me that it's an obvious decision and a must. The designer has repeatedly said you can use the alchemist guild to activate areas even if you already have your activation marker...my guess is this is incorrect and perhaps a language barrier issue? If you can't use the alchemist guild to activate when your activation marker is already there, the power level of it becomes much more logical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to activate a location relies only on having workers there, and manoeuvring around other players' workers (whenever a possible free action is involved) is a crucial element of player interaction in Versailles. So there is no mistake: players may take advantage of their upgrades and strategically placed workers even if the location in question already contains their activation markers. The trick is not to hand out too many freebies on your turn.

Now, sorry to be so forward, but I find suggesting that a conscious design decision (which anyone has the right to like or dislike for any reason whatsoever) is in fact a mistake arising from the designer's inability to grasp the intricacies of negation in the English language seems a little condescending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if it sounded condescending. It's a fact that the designer is not a native English speaker, so raising the specter of an error in translation seems to be a fairly reasonable thing to do IMO. It is not an indicator of a feeling of superiority: I'm certain he can communicate in English better than I can communicate in his language, however that isn't at issue here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.