Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I post here this report from Bouqoss, who doesn't have an account on BGG but still wished to share with you his experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I played one scenario on the tavern’s map.
The goal for Conan and his friends is to find an artifact who is in a safe and two heroes must leave the tavern before the end of the eighth turn.
Before we start the game Conan and Baal-Pteor do an arm wrestling. For this, they roll a die and they can pay with a gem for reroll the die. If it’s a draw, they both reroll the dice. The score of this game will change the goal for the players. If Conan wins the arm wrestling, heroes don’t need to leave the tavern to win; they can survive till the end of the eighth turn.
So the heroes are in their room (Shevatas, Zelata and her giant wolf) Conan is on the balcony when start the game. Zhevatas and Zelata found quickly the articfact. The three heroes decided to join their forces to leave this house together. In this meantime the Overlord placed his archers and other pirates in front of the two exits. Conan, Shevatas and Zelata were stuck in the stairs with four enemies who were blocker. Finally heroes succeed to kill the blockers and on the last turn Conan and Shevatas left the tavern.
I think Heroes didn’t choose the best way to stay together. They should split to divided the forces of the overlord. But it was good fun, it was really like a fight in a small corridor with enemies falling on you from everywhere. Because we choose this way we didn’t fight with the chairs and the tables. You can jump on a table to fight and you can grab a chair to smash on you opponent (you roll one more die). Too bad, next time.
I really thought lose this game (I played Conan) because we were really stuck and we rest to recover more gems every two turns. But on the last turn we tooke a big risk and Zelalta who didn’t really success his dice rolling, did the last fight with a lot of hit. Conan did what he do the best: Smash people and Shevatas was really helpful with her healing potions.
The scenario is not ready yet, authors have to change some stuff to reduce the length of the game and other details. We played on a prototype with meeples but even whiteout miniatures the game is still immersive (So imagine how it can be with). Everybody on the table enjoyed the game, it’s was fun, epic and intense. The arm wrestling is à good idea give a real dilemma, should I pay one more gem to change result or not?
It was the second time I test the game, I played another scenario (One with two boats) and the sensations were completely different, because of the maps, the enemies, the goals, the events.

I hope my English was correct (I roll better dice than I speak English)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dougie LB
Wales
Bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please thank Bouqoss for his report. His English is better than my French and I lived in France for 8 years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank the designers for FINALLY providing a "dungeoncrawl" with tavern rules! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Overlord during this playtest session with Bouquoss, so here is my experience.

It was my second playtest of Conan Hyborean quest, and my first as the Overlord. Since last time, I was very exited to try this gameplay. The Overlord has a lot of units, but most of them aren't very strong.

Here is a picture where you can see the prototype of the book of skelios, which is the Overlord playsheet. In the background there is the gorgeous map of the tavern. Sadly, we had to play with meeples and not with the final figs.

The scenario:
Conan, Shevatas (the famous thief) and Zelata (the witch and her giant wolf) are staying for the night in a tavern, because they heard that a precious Atlantid artefact was kept in a chest somewhere inside, and they planned to stole it.
But in the evening, Baal-Pteor the strangler arrive in the tavern. Everybody look at their feet and cow in fear of the huge warrior. Everybody but Conan, who look at him straight in the eyes and hold his gaze.
The challenge was issued. Conan and Baal-Pteor started an arm-wrestling contest.
Whatever the issue of the contest, a tavern brawl start. Conan and his friends have to quickly find and grab the artefact!

The Overlord victory condition: kill any 2 heroes
The heroes victory conditions: find the artefact and reach the exit of the map with any 2 heroes.
After 8 turns, if neither victory condition is reached, then the winner of the initial arm-wrestling contest wins the game.

This playtest was great, very tense from the beginning to the end. The initial arm-wrestling contest is a great idea: it builds a lot of tension, because it's winner has a nice advantage and can play defensively.
But for winning the contest, you have to invest energy. And if you invest a lot of energy, you won't be able to act a lot during the first turns.
It's also very appropriate for a tavern scenario to have arm-wrestling!

Still, this scenario needs tuning (it's too long) and modifications of the map itself (we spend 1 hour fighting in the stairs).

I loved playing the Overlord. It's challenging, because you're alone, if you make a strategic error you won't have a couple of teammates to spot it and warn you.

I would like to thank the other players for this great game, and the guys from Monolith for offering me again the opportunity to playtest this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That... is a BIG board! laugh

So, to confirm, I'd be able to use it for my 28mm games, and how many boards come with the deluxe and regular pledges? What will the boards be made of (eg. will they be folding boards and not paper?). Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I heard: the boards will be in thick cardboard that you unfold.
There will be 3 double-sided boards in the deluxe pledge (including 1 that will be in an early Strech goal). That means 3*2 maps:
- a pict village
- a swamp
- a boarding between 2 boats (I have played on this one, see my review a few days ago)
- an underground network
- a citadel
- a tavern (see above)

There will be 2 scenarios developped for each map in the box, but a website will be opened and will propose more scenarios, and tools for the community to build their own and publish them on the site.

I don't know how many boards will be in the base pledge, probably only 1.

If you want to see a board and figurines closest to the final product, have a look on this video on the Trictrac website
It's in french, but you will see several travelings on the board (around 03:10 and 21:30, for example).
They said they have also made several videos in english and will put them on the web for the Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I was playing the master-thief Shevatas on this play test and I've not so much things to say as Bouqoss and Khaali reported the game very well.

This scenario was very tense and tactical. Finding the artefact early, we have choose to push through the shortest way to the exit. Perhaps not the best thing to do...It turns to a slaughter party in a staircase as the overlord blocked us very well !!!

Anyway, the rules are very simple but not simplistic. It's very tactical and immersive but really fun and dynamic as the game remains always fluid.

And when the game is over, you just want to begin another one...trying other tactics, heroes or to be the overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Martigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
can't wait to play this one...
my team of friends would enjoy a tavern brawl.
thanks for the game report - i had not seen this one yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien Fortin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen the scenario for the pict village... where is the map and scenario for the tavern or the pirate ship?

I hope I haven't missed any post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.