1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Would you buy anything from Megacon games ever again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
short legs
msg tools
Hi all,

I was as fervently looking forward to Myth as any other. Heck with the delayed delivery or rules issues, I was so excited for the game. But it was the silence from Megacon games that really disappointed.

Silence when things are proceeding smoothly as planned is bad enough, silence when so many are still having unsolved issues is really unacceptable. Of those kickstarter projects I've backed, I've never ever had one that has such bad communication. And this wasn't even one of the small, obscure projects of suspicious origin. This was an already established company that raised almost a million dollars in funds. Now they seem to be just hiding from and avoiding all the problems. How have they fallen so far?

So here I am now, still waiting on my wave 2 shipment even after they said they have sent out the rotw shipments so many weeks ago. And yet, despite the ridiculous delay and even more ridiculous silence, I proceeded to do something ridiculous too: I backed a Myth level pledge on the Mercs Recon kickstarter as their pledge manager remained open.

Why did I do that? Not sure myself, really. Maybe I was thinking that one day, maybe, just maybe, they would get their act together and issue proper FAQs or revised versions etc to make Myth a really great game again. I never doubted the basic idea or gameplay mechanics of the game, and I still think they are brilliant even if the execution was poorly done in the end. So if that day ever comes when Myth becomes a truly great game, I would have wanted to have a complete set of Myth products including those only available on the Mercs Recon campaign.

Am I a fool for thinking this way and backing further products with my hard earned money despite all that has happened? The Myth level Mercs Recon pledge wasn't a big amount of money so perhaps I wasn't risking too much. But what if Megacon games came up with future kickstarter projects for Myth expansions like they were planning to do so at least initially? Should I continue to pledge hundreds of dollars to them when, honestly, they have shown that they really don't deserve any trust from backers anymore? Vote with your wallet, as many have said.

But if they did eventually get their act together and make Myth great, then what about all the Myth products I would have missed out on simply because I refused to back their kickstarter? The obsessive compulsive completionist part of me would then be kicking myself in the nuts daily for that..

What would the rest of you all do? Would you ever buy their products again or back their kickstarter campaigns in future? Would be very interested in your thoughts.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I just got my shipping email (at 9:30pm on a friday!) so my copy should be here in 2 days.
When it comes and I open it that will be the decider on if i back the next thing.
If I missed out on Spriggan sleeves I wont be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy from them again, in a heartbeat. Myths a bit of a pain to get going, and you really have to print the updated character cards (Which don't exist for the expansion heroes) to really be able to play properly, but its' great fun when you do. The miniatures are absolutely fantastic and the art across all the boards and pieces is awesome.

I backed Recon, got just about everything I need (Not the extra mini's though, as no boards with them). I don't regret it a bit, though I'm certainly hoping they're quicker this time =).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most fun games I own. I'm looking forward to everything else produced for Myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
shortlegs wrote:
Silence when things are proceeding smoothly as planned is bad enough, silence when so many are still having unsolved issues is really unacceptable. Of those kickstarter projects I've backed, I've never ever had one that has such bad communication.

I agree that silence in any case is undesirable, but it also seems your frustration over this situation may have clouded your memory.

Communication isn't stellar right now...you can still find the devs commenting on occasion on the official MegaCon website, but it isn't frequent.

To suggest that the communication has been bad even when everything about the project was going smoothly...sorry, but that's just incorrect. There was nearly universal praise for the first ~6 months of the Kickstarter and after, in which TONS of people were jumping the gun saying Myth was the best run Kickstarters to date. The communication was one of the reasons for this. It wasn't until the production and shipment phases started falling off the rails that communication started getting worse, and then later close to non-existent.

If you are gauging if you should ever buy from them again...maybe use the Recon Kickstarter to see if they improved their handling of Kickstarter projects that happened after Myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
Love Myth, Megacon not so much. But I will probably buy everything Myth related going forward. I agree with Smoothsmith, it is a pain to begin playing, but once you do, it is great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My Myth finally arrived. Minis are pretty brilliant, some of the best I've seen, the tiles and the art are great, and we had our first intro game. Bit of a monster slug-fest. The mechanics felt a bit clunky and the game was rough around the edges, but it seems like there's a very compelling game underneath it all, and I can't wait to set it up again and get started with a proper campaign using GeckoTH's 1.1 Printer Studio cards. Once the game rules bed in properly I can see it has potential.
This is all with the enormous caveat that in true Tom Vasel style I had someone else flown in (from down the road) to teach me the rules. I'll atone for this by reading the fan-made rules re-write on BGG this weekend, honest. whistle
But yes, I'd back Megacon again. Just not for Recon, because playing a bunch of futuristic super soldiers attacking a 1990s office block guarded by B-movie 80s action heroes didn't feel interesting to me. Though now I re-read that sentence I wonder why...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isabell and Soohyun
Australia
BLACK FOREST
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
shortlegs wrote:
Now they seem to be just hiding from and avoiding all the problems. How have they fallen so far?

I am starting to feel frustrated with their attitude, too. Yet, I don't think they are avoiding the problems, but rather avoiding people, people on BGG, the kickstarter webpages or even their own MCG forums.

To me, they are trying to observe and solve issues with as little communication as possible, which I don't agree with.

I am getting concerned that Mercs: recon is heading that way, too.

But at the end of the day, I agree with the others. I've been enjoying the game so far and that's what really matters to me. I wouldn't jump right in and buy whatever they come up with, but I wouldn't turn anything away just because it's from MCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider buying product at retail if sensibly priced but I would never back them on KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
$30 for Myth from MM.

I would still like to buy the scenarios that continue, ya know, the cards that they should have given you for full campaign/plot.

I don't see myself buying much else, unless the game really comes around.

As I stopped with the game after a few days, cause I just want to wait till it fills out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nope. I have more than enough games with lots more coming out and Myth was a total stinkbomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
short legs
msg tools
thetang22 wrote:
shortlegs wrote:
Silence when things are proceeding smoothly as planned is bad enough, silence when so many are still having unsolved issues is really unacceptable. Of those kickstarter projects I've backed, I've never ever had one that has such bad communication.

I agree that silence in any case is undesirable, but it also seems your frustration over this situation may have clouded your memory.

Communication isn't stellar right now...you can still find the devs commenting on occasion on the official MegaCon website, but it isn't frequent.

To suggest that the communication has been bad even when everything about the project was going smoothly...sorry, but that's just incorrect. There was nearly universal praise for the first ~6 months of the Kickstarter and after, in which TONS of people were jumping the gun saying Myth was the best run Kickstarters to date. The communication was one of the reasons for this. It wasn't until the production and shipment phases started falling off the rails that communication started getting worse, and then later close to non-existent.

If you are gauging if you should ever buy from them again...maybe use the Recon Kickstarter to see if they improved their handling of Kickstarter projects that happened after Myth.

I probably didn't phrase that well enough, but I didn't mean that they were silent from the beginning. What I meant was that in general, silence is bad enough even if things are going well, much less when there are problems unsolved.

And since we are on this topic, a kickstarter creator who is actively involved and with great communication throughout the campaign duration, only to drop most if not all communication when problems arise after funding is over. Isn't this just as bad? They are nice and chatty when they want your money and things go well, but once there are problems you don't hear from them anymore? At least for Myth the great communication lasted a while. Look at Mercs Recon now.

And not only that, during the time when people started to complain about Myth and Megacon games started clamming up in response. And yet at the same time they remained really chatty on the Mercs recon page when the campaign was running so as to get more funding from backers. That's just crap.

Edit: I realise that I'm starting to rant on my frustrations with Megacon games, which really isn't my purpose for starting this thread (there are plenty others in which we can all vent our frustrations). Sorry about that..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Myth, which I regret.

Coming off of that, I backed Recon. If I end up regretting that, if Recon is as much a FUBAR as Myth, I won't ever back anything from them again. However, if they've taken the mess that was Myth to heart and seem to be moving forward and improving, I would consider backing or purchasing something from the company again.

Everyone falls down at some point; it's how we pick ourselves up that defines us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not. I still may one day return to Myth, but it will be a long time from now, and it will be when everything is painted, and it will be when I decide whether I'm going to sell it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never. Undoubtedly the worst game I've ever owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
When they do a second myth kickstarter I will have a look at it. With this kickstarter I feel I got a lot of stuff, which is enough for many many evenings.
If I still like the game when I played it enough then maybe I will join in another kickstarter.
I'm not really interested in MERCS or Recon. Just not my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Fitzgerald
msg tools
I will definitely be buying things for myth in the future.
Megacon started off with great communication, when things started to go bad they still kept us informed, then they got flamed for it, and flamed some more. i think it got to the point where they just thought: we can try to keep them informed but they'll slate us. OR, we can keep them in the dark, and they'll slate us anyway. why waste our energy? I don't blame them for that, I worked in customer relations long enough to have been in the exact same situation a hundred times. however, you have to be professional and keep customers informed - that was megacons biggest - and only unforgivable mistake.
keeping paying customers in the dark is never the correct thing to do.

their other mistakes - are marginal and forgiveable.
there were delays, some they maybe should have expected, some they couldn't of. they are a small company, they took a large order and they were very optimistic about their delivery date, with hindsight, probably foolishly so. however, i believe they have always done their best, despite what many commentators have said, and they have never deliberately set out to deceive or swindle us.
is the instruction book crap - yes. there's plenty of FREE material available online. deal with it.
do you need to buy another piece to play Yardu? no. just his special power wont work. spawn a different captain. or ignore it. consider him in easy mode.
are they struggling to sift through their emails. yes. how many of those emails are valid communications and how many are 'why haven't you answered my previous 40 emails' theyre swapmed, they just delivered a few thousand games all over the planet, give them a chance!

all in all, their communication has been a weak point. they got shouted at and turtled up. aside from that, i think they've done ok. and, i like Myth, I'm enjoying it a lot. its not perfect, it has its flaws but it is fun. if you dont like it and think its a god awful lump of turd - dont play it anymore, sell it and stop reading forums about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TottDonetta wrote:

Megacon started off with great communication, when things started to go bad they still kept us informed, then they got flamed for it, and flamed some more.

That is such an incorrect view of what happened, it's hard to even know where to start. Not even subjectively incorrect - objectively incorrect assessment.

I will never buy something else from MGC games. The minis here were great. The company and game behind it, not so much.

Also:
Quote:
if you dont like it and think its a god awful lump of turd - dont play it anymore, sell it and stop reading forums about it.

Nope, this is a board game website. If I see a thread I want to read/comment on, on the front page, I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:

It's my understanding that there are already some big issues with the fulfillment of that KS, starting with them deciding to charge people extra money for shipping? I could be off on that, as I didn't back Recon so haven't been spending time on the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll back the next Myth KS, I enjoy the game enough to want more stuff for it. Not sure about any other projects though, and I didn't back Recon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
thetang22 wrote:

It's my understanding that there are already some big issues with the fulfillment of that KS, starting with them deciding to charge people extra money for shipping? I could be off on that, as I didn't back Recon so haven't been spending time on the forums.

Ducan, they charged new backers more for shipping. A lesson they learned from Myth where they lost profits on shipping. There were no additional charges for original KS backers. There was a SNAFU on the PM where it initially charged original KS backers extra freight for additional purchases, but was corrected almost immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
thetang22 wrote:

Ducan, they charged new backers more for shipping. A lesson they learned from Myth where they lost profits on shipping. There were no additional charges for original KS backers. There was a SNAFU on the PM where it initially charged original KS backers extra freight for additional purchases, but was corrected almost immediately.

Good to know - thanks for clearing that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not happy with their communication, their abandoning the BGG community, their delivery of Myth, their rule book, their lack of play-testing and their un-apologetic apologies. All that said, I'm pretty darn happy with Myth, I've backed Recon at the top level and I'll back more of their Kickstarters in the future.

It all depends on what you care about and for me, it's the final product. Myth started off shaky at best, but it's current state is worth way more than the $100 I put into it IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
default player
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can definitely answer that with a clear "maybe".

It has been an up and down with Megacon. I started from interest, went over to excitement, up to ecstasy when they reach each end every stretch goal they planned.
After the race had ended, I started to get suspicious, communication went short(er) and mistakes were made to a point, where I got angry and at last disappointed.
A few mistakes later I finally landed on pity. I mean they did so many things wrong and kept shooting in their own foots, it was heartbreaking.

I finally got my package a couple of days ago. Ten month and a rollercoaster of emotions later, but I got it.
The amount of things I got out of the kickstarter campaign is stunning and the quality of the figurines is outstanding if you ask me.
Then again the rules are a mess and were only made bearable due to the effort of some true fans. (Thanks to all of you at this point)
I enjoyed a couple of skirmish games so far and while the rules are not as silky as they could be, I could at least enjoy the game.

I don’t think they didn’t try to do their best, but in some points they failed. Failed like they were reaching out for an award in failing.
But as Hoffman stated though:
Quote:
Everyone falls down at some point; it's how we pick ourselves up that defines us.

I am willing to give them one more chance with Mercs. However I sincerely hope that they learned from their mistakes. This time the ride will better be a joy, otherwise they will lose me as a costumer - for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
flag msg tools
I like this game. I received my entire pledge except for the spriggan sleeves. The art is great and the minis are awesome.

Maybe they made some mistakes,... But from a business perspective, non of these were intentional.

It is easy to criticize, but I do not think managing your first kickstarter (and not expecting to raise so much money) is easy.

I'm a patient man, so I cannot think of a reason not to back them in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.