Popular Tags: [View All]
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game for the first time and liked it. Still I think that has a bit too much luck, although you can mitigate it a bit, but that still depends on the luck of the draw. The player that won was way ahead, because he had the right cards in the beginning of the game, the rest of us were just playing for second..

So, do you think that the game would improve if we could draft/draw the cards Brugges style?(2 piles where, when you had to draw cards, you could choose the building by the color)
I think it would make it a bit less luck based, cause then you would be able to choose by the type of building.. That would give you a bit of strategy, I guess, or am I looking at this the wrong way?
Would that change the game much?

I'm not going as far as making the 6 piles and give players total freedom of choice in buildings..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the problem is only with the starting hand of cards, why not just deal 2 or 3 extra cards, and then players discard down to 5 to build their starting hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just that, one of the players kept drawing cards to find boats, and only got 2 in the entire game, one of them in the end..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinwë
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Donkeys!! ^^
mbmbmbmbmb
He probably discarded useful cards in order to find that boat. Sure, there is luck of the draw, but it's important to adapt one's plans to the available cards. I like though the idea of dealing a couple of extra cards during setup to chose from, but more than that risks to spoil the game. It's a light & fast game and I like it for that reason.

However, if you try your variant (two piles to draw from), I would be interested to read how it went. The problem would be the purple cards. Ideally you would put half of them in each deck, as they are more powerful, but then you would have to divide the 5 types of basic cards into two decks somehow... So you still need to find a good way to form the decks. Consider also that you should keep separate discard piles in that case because you will likely have to form new drawing decks during the games. This might be annoying, as when you offer to the gods only the top card is visible to the other players in principle.

Also, did you try the Building Wildcard, given at the end of the rulebook? it's stated that it has been designed to reduce the luck of the draw a little, so maybe it would suit you (although it would not have helped much your friend if he did not have boats in the first place).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Dna_Boy wrote:
It's not just that, one of the players kept drawing cards to find boats, and only got 2 in the entire game, one of them in the end..

That story convinces me not to explore this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, I'll try it that way and let you know how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Graveleau
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First be sure your deck was well shuffled. In this game espacially, it's important because, as you saw, lack of 1 kind of building can be a problem. I saw some game with bad shuffle (such as 5 Temple in a first hand and that's not the worst) and , yes, it can pervert the game.

Second, i don't think you need a draft because it's a game where you often roll your hand's card (10 cards once a time with an offering!!). If you look for a kind of building, keep in mind that there are only 6 kind of them (16 cards for each). So pick a card is like rolling a 6 dice, so usually (and i never saw real problem) you quickly find the king of building you're looking for.

Yet, it's a card game. There's a part of luck (don't look for 1 particular card) but the more you play and more you can take benefits on all situations. Deus is quite simple to play, but long and hard to master

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.