Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teaching the game and re-reading some cards gets all kinds of edge cases and strange ideas into my head. Now while I think most things are now pretty clear to me I often wonder while I'm mistaken about some minor things.

1) Prot vs Catholic conversions
Protenstant and Catholic conversion get separate parts from them in the rulebook but I always have assumed they are the same and the only difference in the steps are the special cards mentioned, that each are specific to its sect. Is there anything else I'm missing?

2) Minor, major and die rolls
I have always treated "rolls of 4 and 5" as meaning the same thing as a minor conversion and "rolls of 6" to mean the same thing as "major conversion" but when I think more about it I'm wondering why it specifically mentions dropping 6 to 5 to nullify unrest. I always just say dropping a major down to minor and in practice this is what happens.

But let's say it was a conversion from Iconoclastic Fury. The card says treat rolls of 5 as if they where a 6, not treat 5 as if they where a Major. So if I get a 6, can I reduce it to 5 to nullify unrest gained but still handle the 5 as a major? If I get no 6 in the roll can I reduce a 5 (treated as 6) to a 5 (which would still be treated as 6 probably).

I have never assumed this so literally but perhaps that was the intention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'm pretty sure they are the same, but were put in separate sections because otherwise a lot of v.v. and other confusing statements would have muddled the rules.

2) I would not look to much in the letter of the rules. It seems pretty clear that the intent of Iconoclastic fury is to treat a 5 as if you rolled a 6 (ergo, a major conversion). I think you can use "roll of 6" and "major conversion" as synonyms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I am also fairly sure they're the same. To add to what Tegarend said, there are also specific points in each section where it talks about events that alter the conversion process (for instance Iconoclastic Fury) and the separation of Protestant and Catholic roll rules allows these to be properly placed.

2) If you look carefully, you'll see that the rules cover this by actually changing the die faces in step 2 (Adjust Dice) of the procedure. You don't treat 5s as 6s for Iconoclastic Fury, for instance, you actually change 5s to 6s. And then if you want to reduce them to 5s later, you can (but they won't re-change back to 6s and become major, because you've passed that point in the procedure). That is why the rules use the phrase "any die that is currently showing" a 4/5/6 not "any roll of" a 4/5/6. When you adjust for events or reduce 6s you actually change the die face that is showing. See pages 28-9 of the rulebook for more detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.