Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » General

Subject: Expecting Loads of goodies and expansions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the best/most intresting game I have played in a while.

I really really hope they are not letting this go easy. That mean not expanding it.

Im sure a bigger expansion can take a while before its released but small addons as new characters, more locktons, more crossroadcardd, crisis card, objectives etc. There is so many easy way sto expand this game its crazy. I hope they take lessons from Zombicide, they sure Know how to expand a franchies
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
I hope they take lessons from Zombicide, they sure Know how to expand a franchies


I am actually glad that they have NOT taken lessons from Zombicide and I hope they won't do that in the future either. Dead of Winter is great because it's nothing like Zombicide and it's designed very differently from Zombicide.

Here's a kudos to Plaid Hat & Co for being something entirely different from your average everyday zombie game with a lot of bling!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Graning
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Tolchock wrote:
I hope they take lessons from Zombicide, they sure Know how to expand a franchies


I am actually glad that they have NOT taken lessons from Zombicide and I hope they won't do that in the future either. Dead of Winter is great because it's nothing like Zombicide and it's designed very differently from Zombicide.

Here's a kudos to Plaid Hat & Co for being something entirely different from your average everyday zombie game with a lot of bling!


I think he was just talking about the way cool mini expands the universe of Zomibicide. I think they could easily do "seasons" of Dead of Winter and add to it nicely.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget that are some great fan made Crossroad cards up on the website, and on the geeklist here on BGG to tide you over until something official comes out!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Tolchock wrote:
I hope they take lessons from Zombicide, they sure Know how to expand a franchies


I am actually glad that they have NOT taken lessons from Zombicide and I hope they won't do that in the future either. Dead of Winter is great because it's nothing like Zombicide and it's designed very differently from Zombicide.

Here's a kudos to Plaid Hat & Co for being something entirely different from your average everyday zombie game with a lot of bling!

Hmm I dont really understand why we would not want more of everything?
I mean, if you dont want anything more, then dont buy it...simple as that.

But for us who love the game but have played all scenarios, multiple times, with different player count etc. I love all the rules in the game wouldent change them, I just want more!
More great scenarios with some neat story textm more cards of everything.
Cant se how that would harm anything.
If at somepoint they release something that you wouldent want, then just dont buy that piece.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Also, don't forget that are some great fan made Crossroad cards up on the website, and on the geeklist here on BGG to tide you over until something official comes out!


...aaaaannnnnd when may we be able to expect that "something official" to come to light, hmmm? whistlecool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leedguitar wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
Also, don't forget that are some great fan made Crossroad cards up on the website, and on the geeklist here on BGG to tide you over until something official comes out!


...aaaaannnnnd when may we be able to expect that "something official" to come to light, hmmm? :whistle::cool:;)


My lips are sealed, for now...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Tadley
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember hearing one of the Plaid Hat folks talking about creating an app for Dead of Winter, primarily for Xroad cards. That way it would be trivial to expand with both official and fan made cards.

Assuming that would be expanded to also include mission and secret objectives, I really don't see what other expansions DoW would really need (beyond something major adding new mechanics).

It already has enough characters, and enough item cards to make it massively repayable, and besides screwing over your group at the last minute to complete your secret objective never gets old!

There is also something to be said for a developer that makes a solid all encompassing game, rather than one that tries to nickel and dime you with mini and maxi expansions!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
My lips are sealed, for now...


I'm good with bribery. Name your price.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
jgilmour wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
Also, don't forget that are some great fan made Crossroad cards up on the website, and on the geeklist here on BGG to tide you over until something official comes out!


...aaaaannnnnd when may we be able to expect that "something official" to come to light, hmmm? whistlecool


My lips are sealed, for now...

That sounds like a clue. Let us decode this shall we.

"My lips are sealed, for now" can be anagrammed to "April One, free moldy saws."

So obviously the expansion will be released April and include moldy saws... possibly the expansion is priced as free.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
Also, don't forget that are some great fan made Crossroad cards up on the website, and on the geeklist here on BGG to tide you over until something official comes out!


...aaaaannnnnd when may we be able to expect that "something official" to come to light, hmmm? :whistle::cool:;)


My lips are sealed, for now...

That sounds like a clue. Let us decode this shall we.

"My lips are sealed, for now" can be anagrammed to "April One, free moldy saws."

So obviously the expansion will be released April and include moldy saws... possibly the expansion is priced as free.


Halflife 3. Confirmed.
9 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leedguitar wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
My lips are sealed, for now...


I'm good with bribery. Name your price. :what:


Come to Ohio. I'll be playing it tomorrow at our game day...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Riki39561 wrote:
I remember hearing one of the Plaid Hat folks talking about creating an app for Dead of Winter, primarily for Xroad cards. That way it would be trivial to expand with both official and fan made cards.

Assuming that would be expanded to also include mission and secret objectives, I really don't see what other expansions DoW would really need (beyond something major adding new mechanics).

It already has enough characters, and enough item cards to make it massively repayable, and besides screwing over your group at the last minute to complete your secret objective never gets old!

There is also something to be said for a developer that makes a solid all encompassing game, rather than one that tries to nickel and dime you with mini and maxi expansions!



I am not a fan at all of games where the expansion feels like something that was taken out of the game near the end of development, with the intention of selling it separately.

Everything I'm working on for the expansion is new from the ground up. Nothing is cutting room floor scraps. You have my promise on this.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Come to Ohio. I'll be playing it tomorrow at our game day...


Hey, if I still lived in Michigan, I may have taken the trip. laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. He is onto me. Make sure you answer your door in 10 minutes...

What can I say, I was inspired by the best typo in board game history. In Shadow Hunters, most of the role cards say "You win if all of the Shadow Characters are Dead" one says "You win if all of the Shadow Players are Dead"...

It's gotten me out of like 5 multiple homicide raps. I'm running out of opponents though.



JimbobJones wrote:
Don't trust Jon! He's evil!

I've determined that, with all of the questions like "If I'm not the betrayer, but just want to win the game more than everyone else, is it OK if I kill everyone else at the table? Not the characters, but the actual players? The rules don't say anything about it." that this game starts, Jon is an evil entity bound for world destruction.

The next expansion/Crossroads game will have a few cards thrown in like "if you want a gas card, punch the player to your left". Three or four down the line, he's just going to be selling boxes of knives and guns, with vague rules about everyone else being betrayers, and this all being REAL. That's when his fun begins.

Isn't that right, Jon Gilmour -- or should I say LELAND GAUNT!!!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
jgilmour wrote:
No. He is onto me. Make sure you answer your door in 10 minutes...

What can I say, I was inspired by the best typo in board game history. In Shadow Hunters, most of the role cards say "You win if all of the Shadow Characters are Dead" one says "You win if all of the Shadow Players are Dead"...

It's gotten me out of like 5 multiple homicide raps. I'm running out of opponents though.



JimbobJones wrote:
Don't trust Jon! He's evil!

I've determined that, with all of the questions like "If I'm not the betrayer, but just want to win the game more than everyone else, is it OK if I kill everyone else at the table? Not the characters, but the actual players? The rules don't say anything about it." that this game starts, Jon is an evil entity bound for world destruction.

The next expansion/Crossroads game will have a few cards thrown in like "if you want a gas card, punch the player to your left". Three or four down the line, he's just going to be selling boxes of knives and guns, with vague rules about everyone else being betrayers, and this all being REAL. That's when his fun begins.

Isn't that right, Jon Gilmour -- or should I say LELAND GAUNT!!!

Is your standard defense against a murder rap, "Let's just calm down and play a game of Shadow Hunters."?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should talk it out over a game of Shadow Hunters. I'll be over soon...


Gastel wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
No. He is onto me. Make sure you answer your door in 10 minutes...

What can I say, I was inspired by the best typo in board game history. In Shadow Hunters, most of the role cards say "You win if all of the Shadow Characters are Dead" one says "You win if all of the Shadow Players are Dead"...

It's gotten me out of like 5 multiple homicide raps. I'm running out of opponents though.



JimbobJones wrote:
Don't trust Jon! He's evil!

I've determined that, with all of the questions like "If I'm not the betrayer, but just want to win the game more than everyone else, is it OK if I kill everyone else at the table? Not the characters, but the actual players? The rules don't say anything about it." that this game starts, Jon is an evil entity bound for world destruction.

The next expansion/Crossroads game will have a few cards thrown in like "if you want a gas card, punch the player to your left". Three or four down the line, he's just going to be selling boxes of knives and guns, with vague rules about everyone else being betrayers, and this all being REAL. That's when his fun begins.

Isn't that right, Jon Gilmour -- or should I say LELAND GAUNT!!!

Is your standard defense against a murder rap, "Let's just calm down and play a game of Shadow Hunters."?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Gastel wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
jgilmour wrote:
Also, don't forget that are some great fan made Crossroad cards up on the website, and on the geeklist here on BGG to tide you over until something official comes out!


...aaaaannnnnd when may we be able to expect that "something official" to come to light, hmmm? whistlecool


My lips are sealed, for now...

That sounds like a clue. Let us decode this shall we.

"My lips are sealed, for now" can be anagrammed to "April One, free moldy saws."

So obviously the expansion will be released April and include moldy saws... possibly the expansion is priced as free.


Halflife 3. Confirmed.


Finally ! Now Last Guardian please
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Witt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:

I am not a fan at all of games where the expansion feels like something that was taken out of the game near the end of development, with the intention of selling it separately.

Everything I'm working on for the expansion is new from the ground up. Nothing is cutting room floor scraps. You have my promise on this.

Awesome.

I agree wholeheartedly. Thing is, this is actually one game where I would be totally happy with an expansion that only includes more scenarios, secret/exile objectives, crises, survivors, and crossroads cards. Are you saying that what you're working on involves more than that, or just that the contents of the expansion are being held to the same standard as the original game? You probably can't answer that, but it's ok. I'm fine with it either way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More of the stuff you love, with a few new things thrown in!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely awesome news. Now can we get a very ballpark answer as to when that might show up? 2016, 2015? Before the heatdeath of the universe? Before then would be ideal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sincerely hope that any expansion expands upon the meta aspect of playing Dead Of Winter. I'll never forget when we first drew the "Yawn" crossroads card - it didn't kick in because we were all having far too much fun to be yawning, but I love the concept of it. For a zombie game that's more about the players than the zombies, I want more like that. :-D
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"If any player leaves the room for any reason"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player passes gas.....need this one just to thwart one player.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"If any player starts playing on their cell phone when it isn't their turn..."

We try to keep game nights "device/technology free" unless it is to pick music or look up rule issues. There is just something relaxing not being too connected while hanging out with friends. Very old school memories for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.