Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need to play tech bingo in order to get the respective bonus for that row? In other words, in order to get the first technology bonus all of the tech markers have to be in the same row at the same time. So if you advance to level 2 in anything before all are at level 1, you will not get the level 1 tech bonus. Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

You can have different levels. You get the bonus once all tech markers are at least at level 1. The same goes for the bonus on level 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur is right.

Bear in mind that getting such tech bonuses is kind of a "consolation prize," since it's usually best to specialize in one or two tech types (although it's not too difficult to achieve level 1 of everything even while trying to specialize). Often the winner is the player who reaches level 4 of a tech colour first (or level 3 of orange).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK then I've been playing this game wrong for years!!! I always thought that having to play bingo with the technologies in order to get the bonus was a way to prevent someone from running away with the game. It's actually worked fine all along.. but last night someone suggested I was playing that rule wrong so I wanted to check on the forum here. I thought I had seen that clarification once, but I must have been mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Mallgur is right.

Bear in mind that getting such tech bonuses is kind of a "consolation prize," since it's usually best to specialize in one or two tech types (although it's not too difficult to achieve level 1 of everything even while trying to specialize). Often the winner is the player who reaches level 4 of a tech colour first (or level 3 of orange).

If you are letting any player reach L4 in any tech, you are playing this game wrong.. In our game, when somebody builds his third research station of a color, it's a war declaration. If after a few turns he manages to build L3; when he invades the fourth planet then it's him against everyone else!

PS: If you let any player reach L4 and he doesn't win the game, then he is playing it wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulPhoenix wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
Mallgur is right.

If you are letting any player reach L4 in any tech, you are playing this game wrong.. In our game, when somebody builds his third research station of a color, it's a war declaration. If after a few turns he manages to build L3; when he invades the fourth planet then it's him against everyone else!

PS: If you let any player reach L4 and he doesn't win the game, then he is playing it wrong!

Yeah, I was going to try to incorporate this into my post, but thought it was a little too much strategy for a thread in the rules forum. "If" someone gets to L4, they're almost certainly going to win the game. More often, it comes down to a battle between players who get to level 3, while other player(s) struggle to catch up. Rarely does someone with level 2 across the board end up winning, though, as even having one L3 tech is worth more than +1 troop +1 ship and the ability of whichever L2 tech completed your set.

Is there an L2 ability that, even with +1 troop and +1 ship, is better than an L3 ability? (Maybe L2 grey or brown, with troop/ship bonuses, is better than L3 pink? The rest aren't close, though; I'd rather have L3 orange, grey or brown than complete the L2 set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in a battle with your neighbor while forgetting that another player has been working on achieving a level 3 technology. If someone is focusing on attacking you because it's easy for them to occupy the planet and at the same time you realize that another player is about to achieve level 3, do you choose defense of offense? And so it's not about always playing the game right or wrong, it's about survival... and mostly having fun skirmishing just for flicking bragging rights. If you're going to sacrifice a planet in return for the off chance you could possibly succeed in an attack against a mother flicker like me, you're probably going to lose the game badly.

It is quite easy to achieve bingo on the level 1 technologies, but much more difficult to do the level 2. Obviously if you choose to do that before any of your research facilities have been destroyed, you are committing yourself to a maximum of level 2 on all techs, which is obviously not a good choice, which makes it unlikely for anyone to claim the 2nd technology bonus unless their research facilities have been attacked. It just made sense to me that it works this way so that someone losing a planet might have the opportunity to gain an extra ship and troop over the others, but I digress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamb2k9 wrote:
Do you need to play tech bingo in order to get the respective bonus for that row? In other words, in order to get the first technology bonus all of the tech markers have to be in the same row at the same time. So if you advance to level 2 in anything before all are at level 1, you will not get the level 1 tech bonus. Is this correct?

Are you referring to the +1 ship, +1 unit bonus for reaching first level in each of them? You do need to be in AT LEAST first level in each, but they don't all have to be there at the same time.

If you are talking about the other tech benefits, you gain each benefit the instant you move the tech marker.

Note that you only have 8 research stations, so if you raise them all to level 2, you'll never get any of them to level 3. As others point out, getting to level 4 in any of the colors is huge...

Great game, and still hits the table often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.