Subject: Any good intro-level WWI war games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad is obsessed with WWI and I'd like to try to find a game to bring out at Christmas. However, it can't be an all consuming, tough to learn, marathon of a game.

For complexity's sake, I'm thinking not much more difficult/time consuming than Memoir 44, Battle Cry or, at the outside, A House Divided. He's tried and enjoyed all of these, but I don't know of any WWI games on this level.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Poppies: WWI Tactics might be worth a look. It's probably a little bit heavier than Memoir but not much at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe have a look at Wings of Glory if WWI airplanes look interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A House Divided can take up a good chunk of time if you're playing out the whole war though...

I'd recommend:

1914: Glory's End / When Eagles Fight... not much more complex than AHD with advanced and optional rules.

They Shall Not Pass: The Battle of Verdun 1916... quick playing, low complexity hex and counter game.

The following WW1 games are now on sale at the Multi-Man Publishing website (Pre-Black Friday Sale):

Breakthrough: Cambrai... low complexity and quick playing time (3-4hrs).
Rock of the Marne... low complexity hex and counter game.
A Victory Complete: The Battle of Tannenberg, 1914... game included in Special Ops Issue #3 - Summer 2012
What Price Glory?... game included in Special Ops Issue #4 - Summer 2013

MM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The First World War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Maybe have a look at Wings of Glory if WWI airplanes look interesting?
I was about to say, I cannot think if an entry level game. The you come up with this.

It is by the way a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To The Last Man!

I don't own any WWI games, but this is one that I have my eye on. It's a unique-looking system. Does anyone have anything good to say about this title?

By the way, you really ought to move this thread to the Wargames forum. I think you'd get a much better response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
To The Last Man!

I don't own any WWI games, but this is one that I have my eye on. It's a unique-looking system. Does anyone have anything good to say about this title?

I was just coming here to post this. I love this game and it's not too big a step up from Memoir. Plays very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco had good things to say about Trenches of Valor:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.