Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Morning, FITL Fanatics! Charlie has agreed to return to "bungle in the jungle" again with the VC in a 1-player Long Scenario (Nam). So watch out for Charlie, 'cause here they come (again, and again, and again)!

The 1st "tour of duty" was over quickly: AAA (the US bot took the unshaded Capability which will put a crimp into the NVA bot horde Rally Op); Sihanouk (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Event to Sweep Op into the Fishhook); 301st Supply Bn-Monsoon (the NVA bot horde took the shaded Event to stoke up on Resources); and the Coup Card (Khanh, the Transport drag RVN leader).

Through the 1st Coup Round the score is as follows: my VC 33 (-3); the US bot 42 (-8); the ARVN bot 36 (-14); and the NVA bot horde 4 (-14). Resources: the ARVN bot a healthy 42; the NVA bot horde a robust 20; and my VC a robust 12. Aid is 21, Patronage 15, Econ value 15, Trail value 3.

Current Card Nam Dong, Upcoming Card Claymores.

Here are two shots of the current board following completion of the 1st Coup Round:

During its only Rally Ops, Charlie was able to establish significant strength in the Highland spaces of Binh Dinh and Quang Tri, while the US bot parked some significant ARVN cube strength in Pleiku with a Train Ops. So stay tuned for further reports from my new "bungle in the jungle" as Charlie tries to Terrorize and Subvert his way through the Vietnam quagmire to Victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Evening, FITL Fanatics! An update on Charlie's has further adventures in the continuing "bungle in the jungle" with the VC in a 1-player Long Scenario (Nam). So watch out for Charlie, 'cause they coming at you again (and again, and again)!

The 2nd "tour of duty" was very long with lots of "give and take" on all sides: Nam Dong; Claymores (the US bot took the unshaded Momentum Event but proved to be a "dud"); LRRP; Colonel Chau (my VC took the shaded Event); Gulf of Tonkin (the US bot took the unshaded Event, adding 2 Bases, 4 Troops, and knocking down the Trail value); Henry Cabot Lodge); Korean War Arms (my VC took the shaded Event, find caches of arms, and places 3 Bases); Green Berets; Ambassador Taylor (my VC took the shaded Event, removing significant Support and trashing Patronage); Ia Drang (the NVA bot horde took the shaded Event, but remove only 1 US Troops); Nguyen Chanh Thi (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Event, places a Base in Quang Tri, and Troops in Quang Nam and Quang Tin, knock down Opposition); Rural Pressure (my VC took the shaded Event equaling lowering Support and increasing Opposition, and further trashing Patronage); Oriskany (the US bot took the unshaded Event to knock out a NVA base and 3 NVA Troops in North Vietnam); Combined Action Platoons (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Capability); Nguyen Huu Tho; Operation Starlite; Domino Theory (the US bot took the unshaded Event, adds Resources and Aid); Westmoreland (my VC took the shaded Event, increase Opposition by 3+ and lowers Support by 1+); 559th Transport (the NVA bot horde took the shade Event, adds to badly need Insurgent Resources); Mandate of Heaven-Monsoon); and the Coup Card (Failed Attempt, so Khanh remains at the RVN leader).

Through the 2nd Coup Round the score is as follows: my VC 41 (+6, up 9); the NVA bot horde 18 (0, up 14); the US bot 40 (-8, down 2); and the ARVN bot 23 (-27, down 13). Resources: the ARVN bot a healthy 49; the NVA bot horde a robust 19; and my VC a minimal 5. Aid is 24 (8 Casualties, loss of 2 US Troops Out of Play), Econ 14 (1 NVA Guerrilla on the Qui-Nhon-Da Nang LoC), Patronage 5 (killed by Events and Subversion), Trail value 2.

Current Card Great Society, Upcoming Card Rolling Thunder.

Here are two shots of the current board following completion of the 2nd Coup Round:

Charlie is fairly well established in the Mekong, the Jungle spaces of Quang Duc, and Binh Tuy, and has a toe-hold in the Pleiku Highlands. The NVA bot horde took Saigon (temporarily), and significant concentrations of forces in the Binh Dinh, and Quang Tri Highlands (plucking VC Bases from Charlie), as well as Quang Tin and Tay Ninh (also plucking VC Bases from Charlie). The ARVN bot was stretched thin by the Failed Coup Attempt, as well as suffering significant Patronage loss. The policy for the US bot remains JFK, with significant concentrations of US Troops in Kien Giang and Binh Tuy.

So now the "Dance of the Pivotal Events" begins again, but the US bot is the only Faction currently that won't be "dancing" yet. Charlie will certainly have its hands full keeping it's nominal ally from the North from scoring an auto-win at the next Coup Round. So stayed tune for the further adventures of Charlie as they continue to "bungle in the jungle" while Terrorizing and Subverting the Vietnamese populace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Evening, FITL Fanatics! Another update on Charlie's further adventures in the continuing "bungle in the jungle" of the VC in a 1-player Long Scenario (Nam). So watch out for Charlie, 'cause they coming at you again (and again, and again)!

The 3rd "tour of duty" was a tumultuous "bungle" all over the "jungle" with the Insurgents remaining ascendant: Great Society; Rolling Thunder (the US bot took the unshaded Event, sinking Trail value 0 and putting a significant dent in the NVA bot horde's Resources); Chu Luc (the ARVN took the unshaded Event but had no Troops in Available to add, so Assaulted with existing forces); the NVA bot horde played the Easter Offensive (on top of Tam Chu) to launch the NVA "steamroller" into South Vietnam, picking up Hue, Qui Nhon, and Kien Hoa (temporarily); MACV (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Event for US Advise and ARVN Govern SAs);Honolulu Conference (the ARVN took unshaded Event for Aid/Patronage boost); Charlie plays the The Tet Offensive (on Binhn Duong), causing the usual "chaos" over the South Vietnamese landscape; SA-2s (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Capability); Giap (the US bot took the unshaded Event to convert two NVA Guerrillas to Troops in Binh Dinh); M-48 Patton (NVA took shaded Capability); Body Count-Monsoon (Charlie takes shaded Event to place VC Guerrillas in many spaces to negate COIN Control); and the Coup Card (Young Turks, the ARVN bot answer for boosting Patronage each Govern SA).

Through the 3rd Coup Round the score is as follows: my VC 41 (+6, even); the NVA bot horde 18 (0, even); the US bot 44 (-6, up 2); and the ARVN bot 27 (-28, up 4). Resources: the ARVN bot a healthy 56; the NVA bot horde a decent 10; and my VC a minimal 5. Aid is 16 (10 Casualties, loss of 1 US Base and 2 US Troops Out of Play), Econ 8 (further sabotage of LoCs restricted by no further markers to play), Patronage 11 (up 6 but still fairly low), Trail value 1 (due to Rolling Thunder).

Current Card Cu Chi, Upcoming Card Masher/White Wing.

Here are two shots of the current board following completion of the 3rd Coup Round:

These shots show a fairly colorful map. Charlie is still well established in the Mekong, the Jungle spaces of Quang Duc, and Binh Tuy, and retains its toe-hold in the Pleiku Highlands. The NVA bot horde has taken Hue and Qui Nhon, and remains ensconced in Binh Dinh, Quang Tri, and Quang Tin, but is down to a Base and a Tunneled Base in Tay Ninh. The ARVN bot has huge concentrations of forces in Plieku, Kontum, and Cam Ranh (keeping company a remnant of Charlie from Tet). The policy for the US bot again remains JFK, but with US Troops strength greatly depleted.

With the Insurgents having played their Pivotal Events, the "Dance of the Pivotal Events" now shifts to the COIN forces, each of their Pivotal Events being currently playable. Charlie still has to keep its nominal ally from the North away from the auto-win at the next Coup Round, with the US bot also not that far behind. So stayed tune for the further adventures of Charlie as they continue to "bungle in the jungle" in hopes of Terrorizing and Subverting their way to Victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Afternoon, FITL Fanatics! Another update on Charlie's further adventures in the continuing "bungle in the jungle" of the VC in a 1-player Long Scenario (Nam). So watch out for Charlie, 'cause they coming at you again (and again, and again)!

The 4th "tour of duty" was relatively short, but with a significant decline of the NVA bot horde: Vietnamization (played on Cu Chi); Masher/White Wing (VC took shaded Event to Ambush 3 US Troops into the Casualties box); Pathet Lao (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Event to remove 3 NVA Bases in Laos/Cambodia); Bombing Pause (the NVA bot horde took the Event, sinking Support in Saigon and Hue); MiGs-Monsoon (the US bot took the unshaded Capability, an NVA bot Resource "killer" each Coup Round Reset); and the Coup Card (Ky, the COIN Pacification drag as the RVN leader).

Through the 4th Coup Round the score is as follows: my VC 36 (+1, down 5); the US bot 43 (-7, down 1); the NVA bot horde 6 (-12, down 12, a rough 4th "tour"); and the ARVN bot 31 (-19, up 3). Resources: the ARVN bot a healthy 56; my VC a decent 9 (no Agitation during the Support Phase); and the NVA bot horde a paltry 3 (unshaded MiGs going to be a problem for them each Coup Round). Aid is 18 (4 Casualties, loss of 1 US Troop Out of Play), Econ 7 (VC Guerrilla 2 LoC), and NVA Control of Qui Nhon really hurt Econ); Patronage 12 (up 1, no benefit from Young Turks), Trail value 1.

Current Card Kissinger, Upcoming Card Bob Hope.

Here are two shots of the current board following completion of the 4th Coup Round:

These shots show the NVA bot horde presence in great decline, with only significant presence in Quang Tri and Quang Tin, and barely hanging on in Tay Ninh. Charlie remains well established in the Mekong, the Jungle spaces of Quang Duc, and Binh Tuy, and retains its toe-hold in the Pleiku Highlands, as well as its presence in the City of Cam Ranh. With the play of Vietnamizaton, the ARVN bot now has huge concentrations of forces in Plieku, as well as all Cities except for Can Tho, as well as Qui Nhon currently under NVA Control. The policy for the US bot continues as JFK, but with US Troops strength on the map still minimal.

The only Pivotal Event remaining (and playable) is Linebacker II by the US bot. With strength of the NVA bot horde waning, Charlie's chief rival is the US bot for the 5th "tour of duty." So stayed tuned again for the further adventures of Charlie as they continue to "bungle in the jungle" in hopes of Terrorizing and Subverting their way to Victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Afternoon, FITL Fanatics! Another update on Charlie's further adventures in the continuing "bungle in the jungle" of the VC in a 1-player Long Scenario (Nam). So watch out for Charlie, 'cause they coming at you again (and again, and again)!

Not surprisingly, the 5th "tour of duty" was very long: Kissinger (the US bot took the unshaded Event); Bob Hope; Americal (the US bot again took the unshaded Event); Peace Talks (no talks or peace); Linebacker II (triggered by Charlie going for the shaded APC); An Loc (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Event to cause trouble for the NVA bot horde); To Quoc (Charlie took the shaded Event to decrease ARVN cubes and place VC Guerrillas in strategic locations) Détente (the NVA bot horde took the shaded Event to add to NVA Resources, but Charlie gets a "free" Rally "lunch" as well); US Press Corps; International Forces (the NVA bot horde took the shaded Event that sent 5 US Troops Out of Play); Thanh Hoa (the US bot took the unshaded Event to sink the Trail value to 0, devastate NVA Resources and otherwise cause havoc to the Insurgents through Air Strikes); Lam Son 719 (the NVA bot horde took the shaded Event to replenish depleted NVA Resources); Top Gun (the US bot took the unshaded Capability); International Unrest (the NVA bot horde took the shaded Event, sends 2 more US Troops Out of Play from the Available box); Abrams; RAND (the NVA bot horde flips SA-2s to shaded Capability); Long Range Guns (the US bot took unshaded Capbility, reducing NVA Bombard SA by half); War Photographer (the NVA bot horde took the shaded Event to add NVA Troops/Resources); Laser Guided Bombs (the ARVN bot took the unshaded Capability); Phoenix Program-Monsoon; and the Coup Card (Failed Attempt, so Ky remains the RVN Leader and a drag on the COIN Pacification).

Through the 5th Coup Round the score is as follows: my VC 45 (+10, up 9); the US bot 48 (-2, up 5); the NVA bot horde 4 (-14, down 2); and the ARVN bot 29 (-21, down 2). Resources: the ARVN bot 33; the NVA bot horde a potent 13 (even after the MiGs reset penalty), and my VC 4 (Agitation used over half of Charlie's Resources during the Support Phase). Aid is 41 (No Casualties), Econ 8 (VC Guerrillas on 4 LoCs, plus NVA Control of Qui Nhon affecting 3 other Locs); Patronage 8 (down 4, hurt by VC Subvert SA), Trail value 2.

Current Card Blowtorch Komer, Upcoming Card My Lai.

Here are two shots of the current board following completion of the 5th Coup Round:

These shots show far the NVA bot horde further decline, with only significant presence in Quang Tin, and Qui Nhon, but still barely hanging on in Tay Ninh. Charlie has increased its hold on the Mekong, the Jungle spaces of Quang Duc, and Binh Tuy, retains its toe-hold in the Pleiku Highlands, and is spreading into Phu Bon and Khanh Hoa. Between shade To Quoc and the Failed Attempt Coup Card, the ARVN bot has many of its forces in the Available box and without significant concentrations of forces except in Plieku. The policy for the US bot switched from JFK to Nixon, causing the US Bases in Kontum and Cam Ranh to disappear into the Available, as well as leaving no US Troop on the map anywhere, with a huge number of US Troops now Out of Play.

With the play of Linebacker II this tour, the "Dance of the Pivotal Events" has ended. Blowtorch could have been more worrisome for Charlie but for the fact that the US bot has no US Troops on the map to use it and the ARVN bot won't help push the US bot over the Victory finish line either. But without US Troops on the map, My Lai will be a worthless Event for Charlie too. The 6th and final "tour of duty" looks like race between Charlie and the US bot, with Charlie needing to keep the US bot from increasing Support, especially via Pacification. So stayed tuned again for the final adventures of Charlie as they continue to "bungle in the jungle" in hopes of keeping the US bot at bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Afternoon, FITL Fanatics! And welcome back for the final report on Charlie's further adventures in the continuing "bungle in the jungle" of the VC in a 1-player Long Scenario (Nam).

And it's Victory time as Charlie toasts their win with some celebratory Rượu cần: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C6%B0%E1%BB%A3u_c%E1%BA%A7n ! In fact, Charlie steamed ahead in the 6th and final "tour of duty." Final Score: my VC 48 (+13); the US bot 48 (-2); the NVA bot horde 6 (-12); and the ARVN bot 36 (-14).

The Cards for the final "tour of duty": Blowtorch Komer; My Lai; Psychedelic Cookie; Corps Commanders; Tunnel Rats; CORDS; Hamburger Hill; Capt Buck Adams; Kent State; Light at the End of the Tunnel; Ruff Puff; Agent Orange-Monsoon; and Coup Card Thieu.

Here are 2 shots of the final map board:

As these shots show, Charlie retained its significant presence in the Mekong region, the Jungle spaces of Quang Duc and Binh Tuy, and, surprising, retained its position in Pleiku throughout the entire game. By the end, the US bot was down to only 3 Irregulars on the map by the end, as 3 US Bases left for the Available Box via play by the ARVN bot of Light at the End of the Tunnel (LatEotT). In fact, play of LatEotT became the decisive Card as the US bot moved across its Victory Finish Line as the 3 Bases were returned to the Available box, only to have its Support quotient of Support + Avail lowered by moving Support in key spaces towards Active Opposition for each of the 4 US pieces removed to Available. The ARVN bot made a gallant effort to catch up in Patronage through play of the LatEotT, but was simply too far behind to gain sufficient COIN + Patron ground. The NVA bot horde started to regroup its forces in Tay Ninh, but simply ran out of time to spread out again.

Final Thoughts: This 1-player Long Scenario with the VC impressed upon me again the value of the basic weapons of the VC: Rally Ops with Subvert SAs, periodic Marches to get onto the LoCs (for Tax and potential Ambush opportunities), and appropriate Terror Ops to drive Opposition up and especially Support down. As far as I can remember, the VC never did any Attacks, other than perhaps 1 in combo with an Ambush. In fact, my VC rarely did any Ambush SAs, even in combo with March Ops; that might have been different if shaded Main Force Bns had been in play where Ambush SAs become twice as potent. I also remain convinced that the Tet Offensive Pivotal Event should be played carefully, and generally not at the 1st opportunity that it is playable. Instead the Tet Offensive should be kept for when the VC Guerrillas are in position (usually after March Ops) to execute Terror effectively, or to bury a Card that is potentially troublesome for the VC.

At some point, I'll post this entire thread as a AAR for consideration by FITL enthusiasts and those wanting to get some insight on how to play the VC effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

/Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Oerjan,

Thanks. I've now one with an Insurgent (VC) and a COIN (US) Faction. I'm about to post this thread as an AAR like I did after my solo plays with the ARVN, US, and NVA in the Long Scenario. I'm thinking of doing a similar series of 1-player games but using the Medium Scenario. Stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.