The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Deck-Building Game» Forums » News

Subject: Battle of the Five Armies expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Is there any news on the Battle of the Five Armies expansion for The Hobbit deck building game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fulmer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this as well, but how would they do it? Would whoever plays Thorin start playing against the other players? That might be interesting. I like the way they added Smaug with the Desolation expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fulmer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this in the Desolation of Smaug rulebook:\

Riddle Game
During The Desolation of Smaug or
The Battle of the Five Armies™, if this card is in
your hand during your turn, Stash it and draw
a card. If a card effect won’t allow you to
Stash it, then you may play it.

So I guess they plan to do a Five Armies expansion. If you consider that the Smaug expansion was released in September 2014, and that movie was released in December of 2013, they might just be behind on their development schedule. Hope this means we'll see another expansion this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Maybe there is a kind of split scenario mechanic in that expansion. With a split scenario I mean that you play the game very much the same way, except that there are two stories that take place.

If that actually happens, they could possibly add a time pressure mechanic, which represents the story of Gandalf and the White Council in their battle against Sauron in Dol Guldur, or which represents Legolas' and Tauriel's travel to Gundabad and back. My idea would be that in this mechanic, players will have to do certain things that gets Gandalf and the White Council, or Legolas and Tauriel in the other case, to the dwarves before a bad condition has been met that represents the arrival of the orc and goblin armies, which will penalize the players in a way. Thorin's dragonsickness could take a part in the game as well. The idea could be that you can't defeat archenemies like Azog or Bolg before he joins the battle (Thorin, who is a very powerful enemy, is acquired from the Path and must be part of the generated amount of power in a turn to defeat Azog or Bolg, for example).

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just love a game that was based on the book rather than the films. It would be a lot shorter, there would be fewer long-drawn-out much too far-fetched battle scenes and Tauriel and Legolas wouldn't be in the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
For as far as I know, all the Middle Earth related deckbuilding games of this series were based more on the films than on the books. I think the artwork would be different; at least the art would be drawn instead of putting photos on the cards.

But I agree. If this line of games would have followed the same course as FFG did with the LCG, then it could be based on the books better. Besides, they could have published more products this way if they didn't use the film titles, but titles from different chapters of the whole mythology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike r
msg tools
Pretty weak that they canned the five armies expansion after promoting it in desolation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Wegner
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celebrist wrote:
Pretty weak that they canned the five armies expansion after promoting it in desolation.

How do you know the expansion was canceled? Source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Del vecchio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I asked a them a the question onf their facebook page and here's their answer:

Cryptozoic Entertainment We aren't moving forward with any plans at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Sounds more like putting it on hold rather than a cancel on publishing. However, I think that very few people will believe that they made a promise they will keep. So I'm also afraid that this expansion is not coming anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.