Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Huge info dump on upcoming Golem Arcana features and the December update:

http://comicbastards.com/golem-arcana-news-update-living-wor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news about the update to the app! Cannot WAIT for multiplayer...

for those of us who might have the site blocked at work, here is the data dump below:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Harebrained Schemes, makers of the Golem Arcana digitally-enhanced miniatures board game, today announced several major updates and expansion sets in their quest to create the world’s first tabletop MMO.

The company’s early December update for iOS and Android smartphones & tablets delivers a host of powerful new features that will be automatically added for FREE in the Golem Arcana App.

These features provide greater replayability, even more strategy & tactics, and new support systems for Golem Arcana Emissaries running in-store events.

Scenario Builder - Players can design their own custom games laying out map tiles, mana wells, deployment zones, capture zones, and set unique victory conditions. This feature significantly expands the variety of Golem Arcana scenarios.

Army Builder – Golem Arcana’s built-in Army Builder has been revamped to include many new player-requested features, including a highly flexible Unit Sorting system and Tap-to-Find-Unit system.

In-App Purchases – While building their forces, players will have the option to instantly download digital Knights and Ancient Ones to add to their armies. These powerful new units provide players with exciting new tactics and strategies while the Army Builder maintains the game’s balance.

Save Game - For the first time, players will be able to save the status of their boardgame and resume it at a convenient time.

Emissary System – The new Emissary System makes organizing and running Organized Play events a snap and provides Golem Arcana’s dedicated team of Emissaries around the world with management features such as Event Registration, the ability to unlock special in-store only scenarios, and provide feedback on events.

More updates to the Golem Arcana App are already planned. The game’s follow-up release will allow up to 8 players to vie for supremacy in giant free-for-all battles.

Product-15

First Living World Campaign Underway

Harebrained Scheme’s first Living World Campaign, Shadow of the Khan, is already underway. Living World Campaigns consist of three story-arc scenarios in which players’ in-game choices have a direct effect on the world of Eretsu. These special scenarios, each available for a limited two week window, give players the opportunity to directly affect the game setting through their choices of factions and leaders, acceptance and completion of quests, conversations with game characters and, of course, the win or loss of every battle.

Data is collected during each scenario and trending results are tweeted as “dispatches from the front” at @HeraldofEretsu. The final results of players’ actions are aggregated to determine the fate of the world of Eretsu.

The Shadow of the Khan campaign’s first scenario, The Battle of Two Rock, has already been recorded in the annals of Eretus History and can be read here. The next scenario, The Caves of Mahtis, goes live today and can be played through December 3rd. The final scenario, The Lords of the Line will be live from December 10th through December 24th. Read more about the Living World of Golem Arcana here or browse the user forums here.

New Golem Expansion Sets Announced

Finally, the company announced the next seven Golem Expansion Sets beginning with Urugal – Reapers of the Sands, available in retail stores starting today. Golem Expansion Sets increase a player’s army building strategies and add exciting new battlefield tactics. Titles and release dates are:

Urugal – Reapers of the Sands – November 19, 2014

Iron Earthfall and Carapace Brute, Elite Golems– December 3, 2014

Gudanna Valkali Colossus – December 10, 2014

Map Tile Set 3: Marshes of Kesh – December 10, 2014

Jade Guardian Elite Set - January 7, 2015

Durani – Scions of Honor - January 21, 2015

Rangers of the Oath Elite Set – February 4, 2015

Zikia – Spirits of the Wildwood - February 11, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Knights and Ancient ones as in-app purchases? Isn't that a major change in their business plan? Not sure if it was announced or not during the kickstarter, but it's the kind of direction I don't want the game to go.

The game is enough of a money hog with its figures, stylus and map sets... Now if there are in-app purchases on top of that... I thought the app was supposed to supplement the boardgame experience... But now it begins to cumulate the downsides of miniature games and of apps...

I SO want to love this game (love the background, the art and minis, the game system...), but this kind of things just keep me from getting headlong into it...

Well, at least the other news are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paptimus wrote:
New Knights and Ancient ones as in-app purchases? Isn't that a major change in their business plan? Not sure if it was announced or not during the kickstarter, but it's the kind of direction I don't want the game to go.

It's always been the stated direction. None of it will be "required" however and the game comes with a slew of knights and Ancient Ones for free.

Quote:
The game is enough of a money hog with its figures, stylus and map sets... Now if there are in-app purchases on top of that... I thought the app was supposed to supplement the boardgame experience... But now it begins to cumulate the downsides of miniature games and of apps...

I'm not sure what you're background is, but I spent a LOT of years with HeroClix. Talk about a money hog. whistle At least with GA I know what I'm buying and can pick and choose if I want to. It's a helluva lot cheaper than buying blind booster expansions!

The app purchases don't bother me. I'm going to play Gudanna Dominion most of the time so I'll probably just ignore most of the Merc Kings and Durani Empire in-app purchasables. And even if I didn't and I spent $10 a month (for example) and another $35 for that months Arcanum pack, I'm still making out a lot cheaper than any other miniatures games I've played! That's the same cost as 3 X-Wing ship packs and less than the cost of 4 HeroClix boosters.

That's how I'm looking at it anyway.

Quote:
I SO want to love this game (love the background, the art and minis, the game system...), but this kind of things just keep me from getting headlong into it...

Well, at least the other news are great.

Wait and see what happens first before worrying about it. So far HBS has been very "sensitive" to the player base. I'm sure this won't be any different.

The in-app capabilities of getting knights and AOs also opens up another possibility... a way to give out participation prizes to players who play in the organized play events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other issues with 'pay-for' content that people are often concerned about is power creep. If the purchased Knights are inherently stronger than the base game ones then that would be a problem.

Reading the posts on the Kickstarter and participating in the beta-testing the folks at HBS have explicitly said that their goal is to expand options and not power. They intend for the free knights to remain just as valid a choice in the future as they do now.

If a knight is found to be over powered, his army build cost will go up. If he is found to be too weak, his army build cost will go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Challst wrote:

If a knight is found to be over powered, his army build cost will go up. If he is found to be too weak, his army build cost will go down.

That's one of the things I love most about the game. The fact that HBS is combing data uploaded from the games means that they're actively working to balance units, knights, and AOs. If something is unbalanced, they can simply update it in a software release. No more errata, bannings, or just living with busted meta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.