Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just reading the rules and I'm not clear on whether various troop specializations (horse, spear, etc.) are immediately attached to trained troops when they are created, or whether they sit in your general supply and can be attached to trained troops when you need them to. Basically, the question is:

1. Do you assign weapons to trained troops immediately, and you need to have trained troops in place before you can even go get those weapons? Or...

2. Do you sort of accumulate various tokens into your general reserve and you can mix and match them when you need to put bids forward (grab a horse, put it with the troop I just trained, etc.)?

Thanks! Game looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
Hi,

Just reading the rules and I'm not clear on whether various troop specializations (horse, spear, etc.) are immediately attached to trained troops when they are created, or whether they sit in your general supply and can be attached to trained troops when you need them to. Basically, the question is:

1. Do you assign weapons to trained troops immediately, and you need to have trained troops in place before you can even go get those weapons? Or...

2. Do you sort of accumulate various tokens into your general reserve and you can mix and match them when you need to put bids forward (grab a horse, put it with the troop I just trained, etc.)?

Thanks! Game looks interesting.

And it really is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward's reply is correct, i.e. it is (2).

After one of your armies is trained, you may equip it with any of the four weapon types at any time with weapons from your own supply. You may also swap the weapon type while that trained army is still in your supply.

You may not change weapons once the army unit has been assigned on a bid, i.e. on a battle action space or your own improve tribal relations space. If that army unit returns to your supply later, you may of course swap again.

You also may not change weapons once the army unit has been stationed to a border location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another question--when a general says he gives a benefit for being the 2nd/3rd etc. general stationed on a border, does that include both players who share that border, or just that kingdom? If it is just for that kingdom, does it apply to both borders (I.e. Is it "Second general stationed on a border" or "Second general stationed on THIS border")?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory, your question applies to Cao Ren of Wei and Gan Ning and Lu Xun of Wu.

For your first question, the benefit depends on both players that share that particular border.

For your second question, the key words to take note of are "of a border". This implies it is the latter case you wrote above, i.e. "second general stationed on THIS border".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more sorry--I just noticed that generals are kept hidden until they are used to bid. Are they then returned to the player and concealed again afterward? I.e. Are players trying to remember which generals other players have available? Or are generals once revealed available for all to see forever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
The generals are hidden only during the round they are recruited. Once they are assigned on a bid, those generals will remain revealed for the rest of the game.

As an example, suppose you are playing as Wei. During round 1, Cao Cao will be revealed and the 4 recruited generals are concealed until assigned for bids. In round 2, all 5 generals remain revealed to other players.

In round 3, Wei recruits 1 general and that general will be concealed for round 3, until assigned on a bid. The other 5 generals remain revealed. At the end of round 3, all 6 Wei generals will be revealed.

Please feel free to ask questions about the rules. We are more than happy to answer them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect thanks Yeoster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.