Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Viticulture» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 player bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the 2 player game there is no way to get a bonus on any placement, correct? Thought the grande worker could allow you to take the bonus if it was the first placed in the 2 player game .... Why is this no longer the case???
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen: Lots of question marks at the end of your question there--just one will do.

You're referring to the old version of the grande worker, which had two abilities. We've simplified the grande worker in adding it to the second edition of the game, so his only extra ability (other than being used as a regular worker) is to be placed on an action that is already full. The bonus ability you're referring to is now on a different special worker called the Farmer in Tuscany's special worker expansion.

Thus you're correct--in a 2-player game, the bonuses are not accessible. However, things change on the extended game board in Tuscany.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unofficial way to reintroduce bonuses in 2-player Viticulture (inspired by Automa solo variant):

Place one glass bead next to each bonus space in the spring track.

Each time you place your rooster on a space that still has a glass bead, take it.

You can use this as a bonus for any taken action later in the year.

I find this a quite simple way of keeping bonuses in two-player games. Not sure if it throws the balance off, though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
Unofficial way to reintroduce bonuses in 2-player Viticulture (inspired by Automa solo variant):

Place one glass bead next to each bonus space in the spring track.

Each time you place your rooster on a space that still has a glass bead, take it.

You can use this as a bonus for any taken action later in the year.

I find this a quite simple way of keeping bonuses in two-player games. Not sure if it throws the balance off, though.


I was dropping by here to mention the solo variant rule, but I can see that I got ninja'd .

I didn't test the rule out in the two player game, but I felt that it added some nice strategic choices to the solo game without unbalancing the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Stephen: Lots of question marks at the end of your question there--just one will do.

You're referring to the old version of the grande worker, which had two abilities. We've simplified the grande worker in adding it to the second edition of the game, so his only extra ability (other than being used as a regular worker) is to be placed on an action that is already full. The bonus ability you're referring to is now on a different special worker called the Farmer in Tuscany's special worker expansion.

Thus you're correct--in a 2-player game, the bonuses are not accessible. However, things change on the extended game board in Tuscany.


Thanks Jamey I will try to keep my question mark usage to an acceptable,level Do you think the use of bonuses as outlined above would unbalance the 2player game? Thanks. Steve
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenpaget wrote:
Thanks Jamey I will try to keep my question mark usage to an acceptable,level Do you think the use of bonuses as outlined above would unbalance the 2player game? Thanks. Steve


If you do not place a bonus bead by the #1 wake-up slot, there would be six bonus tokens available, and each of the two players would likely want to make sure they received three of them. I can see that altering strategy (if you normally try and get two wine orders in the first two years, for example, you could be giving up a point by bonus point by doing that), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you let your opponent take 5 bonuses to your 1, that would be unbalanced.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, this variant would work just fine in a 2-player game. Thanks for the suggestion!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And using the Grande either to get an action in a already taken location OR to get a bonus in an unused location how would that be? I'm hoping to get my wife to,play this so I want to make sure the 2 player game is as interesting as it can be. Thanks again
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenpaget wrote:
And using the Grande either to get an action in a already taken location OR to get a bonus in an unused location how would that be? I'm hoping to get my wife to,play this so I want to make sure the 2 player game is as interesting as it can be. Thanks again


It was not hugely unbalanced. However, if the goal is to get you wife to play other games, it would be a harder rule to unlearn than simply putting bonus beads on the wake-up track.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen: The grande only has one ability now (that's important to remember, because it won't work with Tuscany if the Grande has both abilities). With this variant, you can discard a glass token whenever you place any worker (regular or grande) to get the bonus associated with the action that worker has taken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. Do you have to spend the bonus glass bead the turn you pick it up or can you save them up?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They're a resource you can save until you're ready to use them, and you can have as many as you'd like saved up.

Check out the Automa rules here and it'll make more sense (click on the link for the English rules): http://stonemaiergames.com/rules-2/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
They're a resource you can save until you're ready to use them, and you can have as many as you'd like saved up.

Check out the Automa rules here and it'll make more sense (click on the link for the English rules): http://stonemaiergames.com/rules-2/


Many thanks Jamey you're a gent
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the 2 player game a few times using the glass token setup similar to the Automa rules and it works good in a 2 player game. We have played the rule that a glass token can be used as a one time claim of any of the off limits bonus spaces. They can be saved up to be used in any season and in any year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.