Subject: Deluxe Mat Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm thinking about buying one but i wanted to get some details on it first.
Are these mats similar to a standard game mat for cards(like a mouse pad)?
Is the bottom similar?
Is the top a non slip rubber?
Typically i like to use a mat upside down for tile placement games, Takenoko or Mage Knight for instance. That way the tiles dont slip and i can slide it all as one piece on the table if needed. Would this mat work. I would like to get a 2x2 mat and this one seems like a cheaper option and Since i am considering getting this down the road, i thought i might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Brevard County
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe mat is like a thin mouse pad. It is cloth on one side and rubber on the other. It will work as you asked for tile games.

[EDIT: Fat Mat]

if you do not need the grid this Urban mat has a better sized road. But the 6x4 is huge.

http://www.tablewar.com/6x4-urban-combat-f-a-t-mat-gaming-ma...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lythaeum wrote:
if you do not need the grid this Urban mat has a better sized road. But the 6x4 is huge.

http://www.tablewar.com/6x4-urban-combat-f-a-t-mat-gaming-ma...

I got that (and the other ones) in a Kickstarter. I'm currently considering two options....

1) Get sheets of Perspex and draw a grid on them, then lay it over the mat.

2) Re-write the rules so they don't use a grid. Not so hard as it seems, I'd use a Perspex template of grid size for area effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I have noticed is that if you do store the mats folded up in the box, they take some time to flatten out across the folds and definitely don't immediately sit flat. I guess I shouldn't expect too much and there aren't sharp creases as with a paper mat, but when it says "folds neatly away and yet deploys without a single crease!" that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Brevard County
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the creasing issue too. If they are folded and stored for a short time it isn't such an issue. If you store them for a while (I did not actually test this "while" for an actual time) the crease is more lasting, like a ripple.

I store mine either rolled up or flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lythaeum wrote:
the crease is more lasting, like a ripple.

That's what I got from storing mine folded up in the box for one night! You describe it well, it's like a ruck in a carpet; not huge, but noticeable and annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.