Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advent of the Prussians has me looking at all the different Allied Armies once more. As I review Napoleonic history, it seems that the Austrians were in general Napoleon's main adversary everywhere at all times on the battlefield, more often than anyone else! Their foibles are often mocked, but they were always an army in being as Napoleon's greatest and main tangible foe. I've now visited Austria, and seen the imperial grandeur reflected in historical palaces and architecture, in general culture and delicious desserts. My grandmother used to say her father administered a nobleman's estate. Which was nonsense, as we were only poor Galician Jews, as far as I know! But that late desire to social climb showed the old nostalgia to attach one's family to the Imperial Austrian ideal, even down to modern times.

The Austrians fare quite well in the CCN game. Their big infantry battalions are easier to use against the French in general than perhaps any other national advantage. In the game, they are usually preferred to the Russians here, and certainly the Spanish. In the upcoming Continental Epic style battles, where the British will rarely be available, they will again probably represent the Allied main force units most often. So learning to be comfortable with them will remain an important skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the Grand Tour: The Big Batallions
The Austrians are in many ways what I imagined the Russians to be. Austrian infantry endure, and give as good as they get. Battalion Mass is a god bonus. Austrian cavalry is strong, and heavy. Austrian artillery is good. The only problem with the Austrians is their speed. Takes a while to chase down the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.