Subject: Some basic questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alameda Jim
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My friend and I started the campaign for the first time and have several questions. I hope someone out there can help out with this 24 year old game.

1. Can the Japanese land transported companies (rule 18.3) on any coastal hex? If they can, it would take a substantial US force to prevent them from landing within 5 hexes of Henderson field thereby spoiling a US automatic victory condition. It also seems odd that they could land in the US beachhead.
2. Do you have to roll for attrition/disease (rule 16.4) if you don’t have any forces on the map, like the US on turn 1?
3. Can attrition/disease losses come from forces in Noumea or Rabaul, or must they come from on map forces?

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Patterson
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I can't give a good answer on 1.
The Marines feared most a seaborne counter-landing for much of the early campaign. As I understand the campaign, once Henderson Field was operational, Japanese transport options were very limited by their vulnerability to air attack.

House rules might deal with that, but I don't know the real rules well at all.

2. No attrition when not on the island (The Navy had fine facilities).

On 3, attrition should only occur on Guaralcanal. It was called starvation island for a reason...

Yeah, I know I'm two years late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.