Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just played a game and even though the rules were a little bit of a slog, in the end the game was worth it. I lost a 2 player game to my wife but it was very close (and we barely managed to hold off King Richard!)

Anyway, we were coming into the last round and had finished the event and weren't dead so we were wondering what the point of the last round was. Was it just to get points or was it still possible for us to lose. We had quests in the red spots, but they weren't going to kill us if we didn't complete them (were they?) we played the last round purely competitively but it didn't feel right. Is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm really happy to hear it was worth it!!

The last round may give you freedom to play competitively, if you are on the safe side. But most of the times you won't be save. This means you played very well together ( good couple ;)) or you missed a loosing requirement :laugh: anyway, see it like in real wars and rebellions. The fight is fought, but some generals want to brag that they were the most valuable in this war. So they do some extra effort to show off.

Some examples:

- if there are still more than 13 black influence tokens on the map, you have to get rid of those to win. If Richard III has more than 13 influence tokens when the game finishes, the rebellion looses, and he wins.

- If you draw battle tokens in the end of the last turn ( swapping black influence ) you may still draw a quill symbol ( their are two in the pile, which get discarded when drawn. So if you already had drawn them earlier in the game, there's no risk. ). In the worst case you pull out 2 quill symbols and the search for Shakespeare is concluded in a bad way, so you loose the game.

- In the last round Avon or another city may fall to 0 because of the movement of Richard. That may also be the final push to fall over the edge.

But apparently you guys played a good game so all those risks were mitigated before the last round. Congrats! So maybe if play More with the same two, and see that you always succeed to be save in the last round, you can alter starting values a little. For example, adding 2 black influence tokens randomly on the map... other possibility's are lowering hope in one or more city's,...

The starting setup now is balanced so people can partly play as group and partly competitive. So for the average group.
But if you play very well co op, than altering starting values for the worse, might be a good idea.
ON the contrary, if you play with a group that won't help each other and play competitive as hell, it s better to up the hope of city's, start the quill symbol a only after the second time, etc...

Hmmm... i'm talking too much ;) But it's fun to talk about the gameplay instead off all the productional stuff ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was super worth it! My wife really liked it as well, so it's something I think will get a fair amount of play at my house.

We were on the safe side, but just barely. Richard had 14 (I think) influence markers on the board at the start of the round but I completely forgot about the a3 influence losing condition. We didn't lose but that certainly would've added a lot of pressure.

I had pulled the quill battle tokens already. Both on the same turn even! It put us on the edge of defeat!

We only played a good game because we were learning it I think. The scores were low and we played REALLY co-operatively the whole game. That won't be the case next time we play though. Especially when we p;lay with more than the two of us. There is going to be a lot more treachery... and I can't wait!

Anyway, super fantastic game. The production was a little disappointing in places but I really think it's something more people should give a chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! You made my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.