Popular Tags: [View All]
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have done lots of trading but never actually sold games. I know Aldie skims his cut and I am fine with that, but I am blind as to the rest of the mechanics.

* Shipping, who usually pays for it?
* Payment, do I need to get a PayPal account set up for this or something?
* Miscellaneous, what questions should I ask but don't know enough about this to ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Marketplace_Seller_Guide

Shipping: Usually the buyer pays for it, but it's up to you. Just be sure to be clear in your listing. State what kind of shipping option... USPS, FedEd, UPS. USPS only flat rate boxes, or also offer regular priority, regional rate? Do you print your label online for the discount?

You can accept payment however you want - cash for local pickups, check, etc. You can pay your commission via PayPal, but there's also an option to mail a check for commission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So, I have done lots of trading but never actually sold games. I know Aldie skims his cut and I am fine with that, but I am blind as to the rest of the mechanics.

* Shipping, who usually pays for it?
* Payment, do I need to get a PayPal account set up for this or something?
* Miscellaneous, what questions should I ask but don't know enough about this to ask?

Shipping ... the buyer
Payment ... yes, you need Paypal, if you want to actually do any business
Miscellaneous ... ask em' when you figure out what you need to ask

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case the buyer pays shipping. I always quote shipping with insurance, because I had one shipment destroyed by the postal service once and I was held responsible. Lesson learned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
agorski wrote:
In my case the buyer pays shipping. I always quote shipping with insurance, because I had one shipment destroyed by the postal service once and I was held responsible. Lesson learned.

Whats a game worth .. on average $25 bucks. Why pay the post office a hundred a year to protect against a $25 loss once in 5 years? I wouldnt pay for insurance when buying a game from someone, there are lots of other sellers out there that will ship without it.

Out of 100 games I've had one where the buyer said it never arrived, but even in that instance I have reason to believe it actually did. Insurance isnt worth it on cheap items IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Priority Mail comes with $50 of insurance, so you'd only need to pay extra for insurance over $50, which makes sense... those are the cases where you'd want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I usually ship Priority Mail since it's within a buck or two of standard mail and has tracking and insurance. For smaller items, insurance costs $2.10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of regional rate boxes - if it fits in an A, it's cheaper than medium flat rate, even to the other coast, and for this half of the country, B is cheaper than a medium flat rate. The B flatter box is a little longer than a med flat rate, and the taller B is a little roomier than a tall med flat rate, so that has come in handy multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use flat rate for really heavy stuff. Regular priority mail is usually cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good topic, what do you all use for boxes? I've considered buying these on Amazon, but I'm not sure if there are better options.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E81OMPQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_ti...

They would give me enough room to bubble wrap TTR-size games.

I have a boatload of Amazon boxes that I've been keeping, but I'm honestly getting tired of keeping them around until I start an auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We keep some shipping boxes (Amazon, and game store orders), but mostly we use the free Priority boxes, especially regional A and B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USPS Flat Rate Boxes and Regional Boxes. The Box is free. IF you do the postage online you get a discount.

Look for the USPS Large Flat Rate Game Box. It will hold games like
Scrabble and Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
We keep some shipping boxes (Amazon, and game store orders), but mostly we use the free Priority boxes.

Me too. You can grab free priority boxes at the PO but they have limited sizes there. If you order on-line, they have more options but you have to order a pack of 10 or so. But it's free!

Staples has crazy expensive boxes. The only thing I buy there are large padded envelopes and those are about $1.70 each in quantity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
We keep some shipping boxes (Amazon, and game store orders), but mostly we use the free Priority boxes, especially regional A and B.

Thanks a bunch for the responses, this is a really helpful discussion.

Which boxes do you use for the TTR-size games? Priority Mail? That is a tight fit, and doesn't leave any room for adding padding. I understand it might be better because the game will not bounce around, but it will be ruined if it is dropped on an edge.

I just found this thread, thought I'd also link it here...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1052467/how-determine-shippi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaacee wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the responses, this is a really helpful discussion.

Which boxes do you use for the TTR-size games? Priority Mail? That is a tight fit, and doesn't leave any room for adding padding. I understand it might be better because the game will not bounce around, but it will be ruined if it is dropped on an edge.

I just found this thread, thought I'd also link it here...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1052467/how-determine-shippi...

I don't generally ship that many TTR-sized boxes. Often I'm shipping from an auction, and I'm combining shipping in a paper-case box (you know, when you get a bunch of reams for an office). Those are handy because if you need to, you can trim down the top and the lid still fits down and can be taped well, without losing structural integrity. They do take up more space to store, unlike other boxes which can be flattened and then re-taped.

I did ship a TTR-sized box a week or so ago in a medium flat rate box, because it was a Thrifty Santa item, and I made sure to pad the sides and ends as much as possible. So it depends to me on the value of the containing item, and how far it's going. If it's close by, a plain priority box or reused brown box would be cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.