The Byteknight
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
convertibility. We finally will have capital ship to capital ship fighting between the two universes.

I imagine one set of mini's will have to be converted to the other rules and there will be lots of compromises that won't please everybody for the sake of playability.

I still remember the endless which-is-tougher debates from 15-20 years ago on the internet whether a Star Destroyer can take on the Enterprise-D (even though it's obvious to me that Star Trek tech seems more advanced).

Whatever. I for one love the idea of mixing up the 'verses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is part of the reason I haven't sold off my entire collection of ST:AW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clinton
msg tools
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised to see them quit production support of ST:AW and start over with the Armada ruleset.
It would anger the fans greatly, but it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for Wizkids. Resell the exact same model with new stands/cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit I never watched much Star Trek besides the new ones, but isn't there just like one laser that shoots wherever it wants in Star Trek? It's not like the ships have turrets that point different directions, making different firing zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
I'll admit I never watched much Star Trek besides the new ones, but isn't there just like one laser that shoots wherever it wants in Star Trek? It's not like the ships have turrets that point different directions, making different firing zones.

Depends on the ship/series to an extent, but yeah Federation ships in Star Trek are often depicted as having very large, almost omni-directional firing arcs.

A lot of the other races are shown with apparently semi-fixed (bow) weapon mounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Star Destroyer would win easily. It is designed to be a Warship, while the Enterprise-D is a ship of exploration. Sure, it has some Phasers and several Photon Torpedo Launchers, but the Star Destroyer has banks upon banks of Turbo Lasers as well as a complement of Tie-Fighters.

Since the power of the weapons cannot be compared it is however very hard to compare. However, if a Turbo Laser is roughly equal in power to a Phaser the Star Destroyer would have no issues to blast the Enterprise into smoldering bits of metal as it has a much larger amount of them compared to the Enterprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think the flight path system works better for Star Trek than an Armada system does. Ships come about pretty darn quickly in Star Trek. There is very little inertial feel to that universe. Whereas Star Wars capital ships have the slow ponderous feel that Armada looks like it should convey well.

If any alt universe Armada happens, it should be Battlestar Galactica. All 3 capital ships!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At risk of starting a flame nerd war, this link is nonsense.

On topic, the reason I came to this forum thread is the possibilities in converting this ruleset. Here's hoping someone is working on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Byteknight
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
At risk of starting a flame nerd war, this link is nonsense.

On topic, the reason I came to this forum thread is the possibilities in converting this ruleset. Here's hoping someone is working on it!

Me too. I want to play dimensional travel-esque crossover battles but too lazy to convert one side or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
msg tools
Bear in mind I really am a fan of both franchises equally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
headache62 wrote:
Bear in mind I really am a fan of both franchises equally.

You do realize that Star Wars ships do have shields right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Byteknight
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Primitive starship in our aft.. how cute.. let's pretend we're scared.. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
marcelvdpol wrote:
A Star Destroyer would win easily. It is designed to be a Warship, while the Enterprise-D is a ship of exploration. Sure, it has some Phasers and several Photon Torpedo Launchers, but the Star Destroyer has banks upon banks of Turbo Lasers as well as a complement of Tie-Fighters.

Since the power of the weapons cannot be compared it is however very hard to compare. However, if a Turbo Laser is roughly equal in power to a Phaser the Star Destroyer would have no issues to blast the Enterprise into smoldering bits of metal as it has a much larger amount of them compared to the Enterprise.

Not sure why you're using the Enterprise-D. Enterprise-E is the current ship and equipped with more powerful weapons such as Quantum Torpedoes.

Bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love to see a Babylon 5 version of this game. From what I've seen of Armada so far, I think it would be good fit for that universe as well. There's a pretty large number of ships available to choose from too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Japherwaki wrote:
I'd love to see a Babylon 5 version of this game. From what I've seen of Armada so far, I think it would be good fit for that universe as well. There's a pretty large number of ships available to choose from too.

I would love to see a Babylon 5 variant but it has been 15ish years since the show ended. I'm not sure if the current generation of players would be interested or would even know about the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
colby_bimore wrote:
Japherwaki wrote:

I would love to see a Babylon 5 variant but it has been 15ish years since the show ended. I'm not sure if the current generation of players would be interested or would even know about the show.

Oh, I agree that there would be the potential to lose money on trying to make a game on the B5 license. I just know that I would be all over a game like that, and I know I could get some others in on it too.

To be fair, the movies that this game is based off of are about 30 years old. It manages to stay a bit more relevant than B5 with the other movies and TV shows, but that just means that a B5 license should be cheaper to acquire.

I'm not expecting it to ever happen, but wouldn't it be cool if it did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.