Subject: Any early reviews yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
I have this game on my radar. I like the idea of completing quests instead of hack and slash all the time. The combat seems interesting as well working with the development cards. Also if the game sells well, it will be very easy to add expansions with more quests, monsters and investigation cards.

Any find any reviews of the finished product yet?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people have played the multiplayer beta, provided by GOG.com.
If you ask I'm sure some may still have an extra key for you to try.

I was disappointed by it.

It's a very simplistic game, in the vein of runebound. The quests all require clues, and you get clues by moving in a town, or investigating.

Most of your turns will be spent moving between 2 adjacent locations garbing 1 clue each turn, then when having enough go to the quest location to turn the quest in for VP, rinse repeat.

Very simplistic, with huge amount of randomness, little strategy, 0 player interaction, and not sure how balance the character are(Geraled seams way powerful)

The witcher theme has 0 connection with the game's mechanism, and seams pasted on. Even Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island has a better adventure feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the input. I am hoping that the finished product is better. I saw a video here on BGG of Fantasy Flight demoing the game with four players. I agree about the lack of player interaction, but I am a big fan of Runebound and it seemed similar in some aspects. I do not mind lack of player interaction and it seems like a game that could be played solo with the right doom track variant similar to Mr. Skeletor's for Runebound. Over or under a certain amount of VP points in X amount of turns. I think in a 2-4 player game there is strategy regarding when to complete certain side quests and the supportive ones as well.

I agree that those looking for an action hack and slash should look elsewhere. It seems like a very slow build.

It is all about what an individual is looking for in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thesleeper7 wrote:

Most of your turns will be spent moving between 2 adjacent locations garbing 1 clue each turn, then when having enough go to the quest location to turn the quest in for VP, rinse repeat.

Very simplistic, with huge amount of randomness, little strategy, 0 player interaction, and not sure how balance the character are(Geraled seams way powerful)

Did you not do investigations? Side quests? Fight monsters? Support quests where players help each other?

It is a somewhat simple adventure game compared to others, but I don't think you were presenting it fairly. There's a lot more than just collecting free tokens from your location and completing main quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:

Did you not do investigations? Side quests? Fight monsters? Support quests where players help each other?

Sure.

I usually rush to complete the 'go to X location' side-quest, while collecting tokens for the main quest on the way there. Sometimes I'm lucky and am in the sub-quest location when I grab the main quest.

Investigations..They are a mixed bag, there are quite a bit of negative events in the deck, if I have an extra action, I might go for one, but usually avoid them.

Fight monsters. If I'm not Gerald, I avoid them like plague. I prefer to take a black cards(foul fate?) instead. There is almost no reward for killing monsters, while the negative effects are quite nasty.

Support quests where players help each other? The GOG version did not have them last time I played, so can't really comment on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thesleeper7 wrote:

Support quests where players help each other? The GOG version did not have them last time I played, so can't really comment on this.

Yeah, they said the online version still needs work (or was it that it won't function the same way? I can't remember), but in the real game there are support quests where other players can help you and get points (you also get points for their contribution).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally get some people's complaints about the simplicity and lack of player interaction, but based on the beta, I like the thematic flavor, the questing, the investigations and the leveling up aspect (building up your potions, allies, or what have you). I plan to pick it up to play solo using a modified doom track, or I might just get the app. I thought it was fun but not a must-buy for me. With expansions, it could be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thesleeper7 wrote:

The Support option in quests has been up on the GOG beta for a couple weeks now. I'm liking this new layer of player interaction quite a bit so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
I just think this game looks like a nice balance with luck and some light strategy especially where you place your wounds and if you want to complete support quests because it helps another player earns victory points as well. The game will be so easy to expand upon along with more quests, monsters, foul fate, development cards and so on. Just looks like a nice system. I hope many games come down to a close VP race and players contemplating how beat to achieve them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:
especially where you place your wounds

This seems underrated to me. Very rarely does anything interesting happen when you take damage in adventure games, but Ignacy once again gives it an interesting twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
@ Montag451...exactly. I think this will be a huge aspect of the multiplayer game. I hope it all comes together nicely. Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Aganov
msg tools
Played beta and completely removed the game from my wishlist.
I would say that Witcher is a step forward from Talisman, but no more. It's just that type of game where you mechanically do something and occasionally you even have to make decisions, but most of the time it's just doing things without any participation of your brain. It could be fun to play with children, or while drinking with friends - y'know, just to kill some time while speaking about other things. But I wouldn't bring this game to a gaming night or our local club - because it delivers so little in the terms of actual gameplay. Just roll the dice and collect the tokens. Very luck' dependant and mostly too obvious to be interesting. I understand people who defend this game and ask to "wait till we see it released" - it was hard to me to believe how bland this game is too. But, again, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone of the 'gamers' type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is now released and available (at least through Coolstuffinc).

Here's my Capsule Review:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1274634/capsule-review-witc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Ah, well, that's a damn shame, think I'll buy Robinson Crusoe instead I suppose. Was hoping for a much deeper experience, I already have Relic(Talisman) to fill in the need for this type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.