Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan T
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My local food bank is doing a "toy drive" for Christmas where they collect toys to give to deprived children from infancy to 12 years old. The vast majority of gifts seem to be cuddly toys. To give something different and something that could be of interest for the older kids, I would like to donate a few games. Do you have any recommendations for suitable, affordable games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of doing this too. After my time volunteering playing board games with kids in a school, I think simple is best. Something easy enough to figure out on their own. The Gamewright card games are a hit with 1st-4th graders, especially Sleeping Queens and Too Many Monkeys. We have worn out one copy of Sleeping Queens, and they line up to play it every week, so now I take 2 copies.
Others that they pick up easily:
Blokus
City Square Off
Battle Sheep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stefant wrote:
My local food bank is doing a "toy drive" for Christmas where they collect toys to give to deprived children from infancy to 12 years old. The vast majority of gifts seem to be cuddly toys. To give something different and something that could be of interest for the older kids, I would like to donate a few games. Do you have any recommendations for suitable, affordable games?
I have thought about going to charity shops and buying a few games they have for a pound or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I have a 12 year old nephew that I was thinking about buying a game for and Age of War was what came to mind. Maybe the theme (barely there) is a bad choice though? Just say no to violence! Perhaps Zooloretto: The Dice Game or Animal Upon Animal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm doing something similar this xmas and I've just added Sleeping Queens. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan T
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jill e gamer wrote:
I am thinking of doing this too. After my time volunteering playing board games with kids in a school, I think simple is best. Something easy enough to figure out on their own. The Gamewright card games are a hit with 1st-4th graders, especially Sleeping Queens and Too Many Monkeys. We have worn out one copy of Sleeping Queens, and they line up to play it every week, so now I take 2 copies.
Others that they pick up easily:
Blokus
City Square Off
Battle Sheep

Thank you, that is valuable advice since you know these work with children. You are probably right that the children would have to figure the games out on their own. I plan to buy Sleeping Queens and Too Many Monkeys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan T
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I have thought about going to charity shops and buying a few games they have for a pound or two.

That would mean more games for the pound, but although they do accept used stuff if it is in good condition, I want to give new things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan T
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
I have a 12 year old nephew that I was thinking about buying a game for and Age of War was what came to mind. Maybe the theme (barely there) is a bad choice though? Just say no to violence! Perhaps Zooloretto: The Dice Game or Animal Upon Animal?

Animal Upon Animal is a good suggestion although I think I would have to order it from Germany and it is a little expensive for me. I really like Zooloretto the Dice Game so I might throw that in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on you.

Fun and inexpensive (at least in Canada/US)

Bohnanza
Hey, That's My Fish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah W
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice, Love Letter, and Sushi Go are games that should all be readily available, affordable, and something the older kids can play now and continue to play for quite a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan T
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the recommendations. They can be of interest also to others. Hey That's My Fish looked good but I decided to order a few copies of Sleeping Queens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.