10 Posts

No Retreat! The North African Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Medium bombers card in Crete rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
The text says use para drop procedure to find hex, there's a minus 3 modifier listed but what about the other modifiers? I understand the AA modifier but the rest applied for para drops do not make much sense. We came up with an alternate procedure, roll one to four to hit target hex, apply AA modifiers only. If missed, roll die again to find which of the six adjacent hexes is hit. On another matter do roads and trails negate hex side features for movement and if so is this still the case when interdiction applies in Crete? Plus, can irregulars stack with any allied unit? Last question,a leader left alone after a battle only remains in the original hex because of an exchange or inability to retreat with the destroyed force through enemy zoc and does the zoc effect also apply to the first and, with NA, the second hex of the retreat for the purpose of deciding the leaders final position? I like this game system for its mix of old and modern, during play it keeps delivering fresh insights. Cheers stu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Stuart. Thanks for the kind words.

Answers:

- Yes Roads and trails negate the Hex-sides features for Movement. Same with Crete.

- Irregulars are Greek units and can only stack with Greek units.

- I would say that the leader remains in place in the hex where the units stacked with him are destroyed. Do not forget that Leaders are Markers, not units, so they do not retreat! (like the title of the game: "no retreat!" ) See 13.7 first Paragraph.

So if alone in the hex that was attacked, ad the hex is occupied by advancing Enemy units, they are moved to the Game-Turn track as a reinforcement (see 13.7 again), if not they stay pout and must be placed on a friendly stack at the start of the next friendly Movement phase (see 12.2.3).

I do not understand why you think the modifiers for the paradrops makes No Sense". For example, the modifiers for enemy proximity takes into account smaller AA weapons these these units have (like Heavy Machine-Guns), and vice-versa for lack of enemies nearby. Etc... Sorry they are not to your liking, they were not to the liking of the Historical German Paratroopers either. Your system seems too lenient on them to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Carl, I like your system, but there is no SPI lock in. The literal is powerful but like life, the rules play around. To say we cannot create, the game, is a mistake. Carl, I like your stuff. Stu there is a teacher required thus. An Anglo commensurate. Us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Gamers old gamers walk and teach. Stu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon123 wrote:
Carl, I like your system, but there is no SPI lock in. The literal is powerful but like life, the rules play around. To say we cannot create, the game, is a mistake. Carl, I like your stuff. Stu there is a teacher required thus. An Anglo commensurate. Us.

Ok...
What does all this means? surprise

P.S: I am French-Canadian. Sorry if my English is not that good. Trying to improve...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not you Carl , I was born in Brooklyn and best I can make of it is that it is a haiku ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
The game system is gold, the rules not so much,given the low to moderate complexity of the game it's not a problem for veteran gamers. We make our own rules anyway, the war gaming school of common sense. Anyway, Many of us delight in digging for gold and finding it.in this game It is there! There's nothing to be ashamed of Carl. I would give NR Russia 7 to 8 out of 10, NRNA 8 to 9, perhaps because I am Australian, for the ANZAC card alone, and the game system seems to be powering, evolving, in a good way. Good game designers need to be encouraged always, this is a game system worth exploring and repeating. Thanks m8, cheers Stu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry, booze m8. A Dionysian confusion too often for just sometimes. La guerra a la afrique, cest bon. Stu. You're a good designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon123 wrote:
Sorry, booze m8. A Dionysian confusion too often for just sometimes. La guerra a la afrique, cest bon. Stu. You're a good designer

Send me what you're having!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon123 wrote:
The game system is gold, the rules not so much,given the low to moderate complexity of the game it's not a problem for veteran gamers. We make our own rules anyway, the war gaming school of common sense. Anyway, Many of us delight in digging for gold and finding it.in this game It is there! There's nothing to be ashamed of Carl. I would give NR Russia 7 to 8 out of 10, NRNA 8 to 9, perhaps because I am Australian, for the ANZAC card alone, and the game system seems to be powering, evolving, in a good way. Good game designers need to be encouraged always, this is a game system worth exploring and repeating. Thanks m8, cheers Stu.

Sorry about the rules, I'm striving to do better. I'm working on the next rules in the series just now No Retreat 4! Italian Front: 1943-45, you'll find it more palatable (some ANZAC troops in this one too, of course).

About NR2, I'm helping a BGG gamer that is making a simpler set of rules, to be more like NR1, it should be ready in a few months maximum IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.