3 Posts

Oklahoma Boomers: Silver Mines» Forums » Rules

Subject: Silver Mines Can Keep Game from Ending According to Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried the Silver Mines expansion the other day and got to this configuration:

No more cornerstones will be placed, as there is no space on the board to which boomers of both sides can move.

That fact will not change because boomers of the two sides are separately entirely by cornerstones - and one silver mine. Boomers can move through silver mines but cannot end a turn on one. No boomer can move through the silver mine here because each free space next to the mine has a cornerstone on the other side.

The basic rules suggest that each side has formed a homestead: "An area is considered to be a closed area once it is impossible to move a boomer from this area to another part of the game board."

But the expansion rules state explicitly that "Silvermines do not count as cornerstones and are never part of the border of a homestead."

Thus, it seems that no homesteads are formed here. Thus, the boomers are not exhausted, can continue to move, and can never form homesteads. The game cannot end.

It might be useful to amend the rules to say that, in certain circumstances, a silver mine can be part of the border of a homestead (but not in the homestead). I don't see immediately how to do that. The fact that two cornerstones keep boomers from moving through the silver mine isn't enough - one can come up with cases like that in which a silver mine is clearly within a homestead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn F
Sweden
Kungälv
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Designer of board games with a bite...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not specifically added this case to the game rules of the Silver Mines. I should have.

You are right, that the game officially hasn't ended. But as there are no moves possible that would change the state of the game, it has ended anyway.

Furthermore, in the basic rules it says: "In the rare case that there are non-exhausted boomers from both players in a closed area, this area is not
scored."

This is the case in your example. So violet wins the game, as he/she scores 4 points.

Next time yellow will probably make sure the game can not end this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn F
Sweden
Kungälv
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Designer of board games with a bite...
mbmbmbmbmb
_

ADDITION!!!

My answer to you kept nagging at me. It took me a few hours, to find out what it was.

In the rules it also says: "An area is considered to be a closed area once it is impossible to move a boomer from this area to another part of the game board."

And: "If there is more than one boomer of the same colour left in a closed area, these boomers share this homestead and are considered exhausted."

So, in the case above, it would actually mean, that the game has officially ended now and that all Boomers have a homestead. The Silver Mine at the border doesn't count for any of the players.

Scores:
67 points for yellow
61 + 4 = 65 points for purple

So this phrase in the game rules of the Silver Mines: "Silver mines do not count as cornerstones and are never part of the border of a homestead."

Should be rephrased into something like this:
"As long as it is possible for a Boomer to move over a Silver Mine, this Silver Mine does not count as a cornerstone and is not part of the border of a homestead."

Sorry about the inital confusion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.