Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
So a few questions as I plod through my first play-through. I figured I'd wait until I compiled a small list.
Just trying to make sure I'm playing correctly.

• Amph Inv.: Can you execute an amphibious invasion into a port occupied by an enemy fleet and/or convoy? At first I though it was a violation of stacking rules, but since the invading convoy doesn't actually move ["There is no physical movement of the counters, they remain in their hex."- 6.3.2]?

• Amph Inv.: You can use a friendly convoy (it doesn't have to be a convoy matching the invading ground troops nationality) ? ["A phasing ground unit stacked with a convoy" 6.3.2]

• Cooperation limits with friendly countries (pawns) - A minor nation can't move through another friendly country -- Example: Yugoslavia is Axis in my game; it is prohibited from moving through Germany, conquered Poland etc. on it's way to the Russian front. It could, however, be moved through these countries during strategic movement as long as it ended it's move in the invaded portion of the USSR?

• Strategic Movement: I have a German ground unit in Norway. Both Sweden and Finland have joined the Axis faction. Can I Strat Move this unit through Norway, Sweden and Finland on to the pass into the Soviet Union on Row 6 - 0644:0645 -- there's no Russian unit there to exert any kind of ZOC and there's no city there either. I don't see anything in the rules prohibiting me from Strat Moving all the way to the doorstep of Murmansk or Archangel. Surely I'm missing something (maybe just a Soviet defender...)?

• Neutral Country Faction Determination: Once the West and East have been invaded, Appeasement has ended and so has the Nazi-Soviet Pact. If Germany declares war on a neutral country (with no Pro-Faction marker) it joins a faction determined by a die roll? Declare war on French North Africa and FNA is 1-3 Western Faction, 4-6 Soviet Faction?

• There isn't a prohibition on Airdrops in severe weather.

• A Carrier Strike can be of any length in movement - So a carrier based in Malta can strike Antwerp if there were a Western surprise marker down in Sea Zone 10. (assuming Gibraltar is still British)

Thanks for any help, I do appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dig In wrote:
So a few questions as I plod through my first play-through. I figured I'd wait until I compiled a small list.
Just trying to make sure I'm playing correctly.

• Amph Inv.: Can you execute an amphibious invasion into a port occupied by an enemy fleet and/or convoy? At first I though it was a violation of stacking rules, but since the invading convoy doesn't actually move ["There is no physical movement of the counters, they remain in their hex."- 6.3.2]?

You can amphib a port with an enemy naval unit in it, as you determined.

Quote:
• Amph Inv.: You can use a friendly convoy (it doesn't have to be a convoy matching the invading ground troops nationality) ? ["A phasing ground unit stacked with a convoy" 6.3.2]

That's right. For example, the Axis could do an amphib using an Italian convoy and German ground unit.

Quote:
• Cooperation limits with friendly countries (pawns) - A minor nation can't move through another friendly country -- Example: Yugoslavia is Axis in my game; it is prohibited from moving through Germany, conquered Poland etc. on it's way to the Russian front. It could, however, be moved through these countries during strategic movement as long as it ended it's move in the invaded portion of the USSR?

Right again.

Quote:
• Strategic Movement: I have a German ground unit in Norway. Both Sweden and Finland have joined the Axis faction. Can I Strat Move this unit through Norway, Sweden and Finland on to the pass into the Soviet Union on Row 6 - 0644:0645 -- there's no Russian unit there to exert any kind of ZOC and there's no city there either. I don't see anything in the rules prohibiting me from Strat Moving all the way to the doorstep of Murmansk or Archangel. Surely I'm missing something (maybe just a Soviet defender...)?

If there are no Russians in the way, you are not missing anything.

The USSR Northern Border Conditional Event is designed to put a unit there right away to prevent that kind of movement. However, if things are looking bleak for that border guard, then the Soviet player needs to consider putting a reserve somewhere to prevent that movement if the border guard is eliminated.

While we are in Scandinavia, bear in mind that a Transport line does not cross over from Denmark into Sweden. That means German units in Scandinavia still require a convoy to trace a supply line to receive Full Supply.

Quote:
• Neutral Country Faction Determination: Once the West and East have been invaded, Appeasement has ended and so has the Nazi-Soviet Pact. If Germany declares war on a neutral country (with no Pro-Faction marker) it joins a faction determined by a die roll? Declare war on French North Africa and FNA is 1-3 Western Faction, 4-6 Soviet Faction?

Correct.

Quote:
• There isn't a prohibition on Airdrops in severe weather.

You can Airdrop in severe weather. It was felt an airdrop was a very short timeframe event that could occur in the few days that may have decent weather during the month long turn. And then once on the ground they could cause their usual problems for the defender.

Quote:
• A Carrier Strike can be of any length in movement - So a carrier based in Malta can strike Antwerp if there were a Western surprise marker down in Sea Zone 10. (assuming Gibraltar is still British)

Yes.

100% correct. Well done.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Sal for your prompt response.

I left the north road from Finland open on the Russian side because I figured I'd see any invaders waltzing in a mile away (okay hundreds of miles away...). Then I was looking down at a German unit in Oslo and realized the transport line runs uninterrupted all the way ... that line is unusual in the fact that there's no city near the border in Russia. When Finland activated as Axis, I placed a Russian unit in 1146 and the other one in Vyborg, thinking only reindeer would be messing about in row 6.

I did have a convoy supplying the German ground unit in Oslo as it secured Bergen, Stavanger and Trondheim (Narvik still seems a bit too far...). It was also supplying a German air unit in Stavanger.

Two further questions, if you don't mind.

• Why does the USSR get a strategic warfare bonus for the number of Allied countries conquered by the Axis?

• I re-based Force H to Malta. However I now have both an Italian and German air unit in Sicily and they're just hammering the carrier unit to six sorties after their morning cup of coffee each turn. Naval units can't use strategic movement. What's the best way to extricate a naval unit from a situation where it can only limp back to -4 sorties each turn and is fairly helpless as it gets set back to -6? If an air unit was in the same situation you could think about moving it well out of harm's way with a Strategic Move, but not so with a naval unit.

Figuring out an approach to this last question might cause a light to go on for me as far as the whole Mediterranean puzzle.

Thanks again for your time - your support of USE has been outstanding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Read 7.5.2 on the rulebook. In the No Supply Phase you can voluntarily eliminate a naval unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
rubendario5 wrote:
Read 7.5.2 on the rulebook. In the No Supply Phase you can voluntarily eliminate a naval unit.

OK, good point. It would be out of action for the next turn but then could return at -4 sorties in mainland UK or Eastern USA / Western Indian Ocean map boxes.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dig In wrote:
Thanks Sal for your prompt response.

I left the north road from Finland open on the Russian side because I figured I'd see any invaders waltzing in a mile away (okay hundreds of miles away...). Then I was looking down at a German unit in Oslo and realized the transport line runs uninterrupted all the way ... that line is unusual in the fact that there's no city near the border in Russia. When Finland activated as Axis, I placed a Russian unit in 1146 and the other one in Vyborg, thinking only reindeer would be messing about in row 6.

Sounds like it is time to take a Russian infantry from somewhere else on the map and close up that row. It was a simple mistake while learning to play that game that you should be penalized for.

Though on the other hand, you could just let it happen and see if it as bad as it seems to be. Perhaps the game can easily fix itself. After all, the Soviets Strategic move after the Axis do. So if the Germans strat move to Archangel, the Russians can strat move to the Finnish border and now that German army lost its supply line.

Quote:
• Why does the USSR get a strategic warfare bonus for the number of Allied countries conquered by the Axis?

The bonus represent the manpower and resource drain needed to maintain order in the conquered territories. The Soviets get it mainly for play balance purposes. If the West received it, the UK would not feel the negative effects of strategic warfare as much as it should.

Quote:
If an air unit was in the same situation you could think about moving it well out of harm's way with a Strategic Move, but not so with a naval unit.

Figuring out an approach to this last question might cause a light to go on for me as far as the whole Mediterranean puzzle.

As was answered by DominiGeek, you can voluntarily eliminate a naval (or air) unit.

Quote:
Thanks again for your time - your support of USE has been outstanding!

You're welcome. Modern technology helps keeping support up, as well as only having USE to worry about. It may be tougher once I have 1,500 different game design published and I'm living the high life on a Pacific island somewhere.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sal - no worries about being penalized for this move. I find the whole strategic war gears, and especially the scope you've put on it, to be pretty self-correcting. I could move German/Nor unit all the way over there but the supply considerations immediately clamp down.
You can't capture a flag with one man.
Now i'm on to considerations on how to best use Sweden...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
svasta wrote:

I'm living the high life on a Pacific island somewhere.
Sal

Just make sure you bring a convoy with no sorties. Keep in full supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Hill
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dig In wrote:

Small correction in your example: a conquered Poland is not "an active friendly country", so the Yugoslav unit could move through Poland. It would have to use strategic movement to get there, but, once there, normal movement would be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jallenhill wrote:
Dig In wrote:

Small correction in your example: a conquered Poland is not "an active friendly country", so the Yugoslav unit could move through Poland. It would have to use strategic movement to get there, but, once there, normal movement would be allowed.

Good catch, Allen. You are right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.