14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Y'know, I really used to like writing (rant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
That is, until the Composition 1 class I'm taking this semester. Now, it's my least favorite subject. Why? Simple. The teacher is useless. She has canceled a ton of classes without moving back due dates for papers, has no ability to make clear what she expects papers to have in them, constantly goes off on tangents in class, is a whole month and a half behind on grading our work, and is completely inaccessible outside of class. At this point I really have no motivation to care about the class anymore. It's not like I'm doing badly in the class - I haven't gotten anything less than an 85 on everything she has gotten around to grading so far.

So yeah, just needed somewhere to rant a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like a talk with the head of the department is in order.

Go get 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not past the deadline, could you drop the course and either re-take next semester or add the same course with a different instructor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
claymore_57 wrote:
If you're not past the deadline, could you drop the course and either re-take next semester or add the same course with a different instructor?

Nah, I'm past the deadline, at least for a refund. And honestly, I don't see the point in dropping it at this point. There's just two weeks left and my GPA in the class isn't bad, so dropping it and retaking it next semester would be counter productive. Just gotta ride it out for the next two weeks and get my final essays finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with the carry on. It can screw up a perfect average, but getting it behind you will be far more satisfying than any quitting will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Agreed with the carry on. It can screw up a perfect average, but getting it behind you will be far more satisfying than any quitting will.

Disagree. She will continue to screw more and more students. I would feel obligated to report her.

I know college isn't the real world, but in the real world this should be taken care of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure that we're going to be doing teacher evaluations before the class is out. If we do, I'll have to give her very low marks. I might go to administration and report her as well, as have several other students. We might just go en-masse.

The real killer for me has been how hard it is to get in contact with her outside of class. If I've got a question about grading or if I'm looking for feedback on an essay that's being written, I've gotta wait til the next class or figure it out on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
claymore_57 wrote:

Nah, I'm past the deadline, at least for a refund. And honestly, I don't see the point in dropping it at this point. There's just two weeks left and my GPA in the class isn't bad, so dropping it and retaking it next semester would be counter productive. Just gotta ride it out for the next two weeks and get my final essays finished.

Didn't realize you were so close to the end. Yeah, just have to tough it out to the end. Definitely give her low marks on the evaluation (administration does analyze those for retention) and write a letter to the department head. Don't go en masse to complain; it would be more effective if lots of your classmates write in separately -- makes the situation look really bad, which is what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is she full-time faculty or an adjunct? If she is FT faculty then at most universities they have the obligation to have regular office hours for students to see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Is she full-time faculty or an adjunct? If she is FT faculty then at most universities they have the obligation to have regular office hours for students to see them.

And if she's adjunct, she may not have an office or a phone.

That doesn't excuse the rest of it (especially cancelling classes), but it may explain why she's so hard to contact outside class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that we're going to be doing teacher evaluations before the class is out. If we do, I'll have to give her very low marks.

That's not enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty common with low level courses. The teachers usually find it boring to teach, and most of the students don't want to be there either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Pretty common with low level courses. The teachers usually find it boring to teach, and most of the students don't want to be there either.

That's no excuse. When I taught community college, I was bored as hell but I showed up every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this was 90% of my experience with community college. I hated it! Best to just ride it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.